Beazer Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 18, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Allan P. Merrill

Pros
  • There were some really great people here (in 4 reviews)

• Great work environment with friendly staff (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management would listen to and trust a contractor over a seasoned employee (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management does not listen to the needs of the line managers (in 5 reviews)

1. "You will work for free, commissions NOT paid"

Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None unless you enjoy working for free

Cons

I was the 8th or 9th agent on a community in N. Las Vegas, they never paid me for 8 homes I sold, which were never started............then they quit paying draw against commission, therefore you work for free, no wonder 7 agents quit before I was unfortunate enough to accept the position.

Advice to Management

Quit while you are still free from prison, oh wait, I think he's already in prison..

"Look Elsewhere"

Pros

Fun business to be in

Cons

Not sure where to start

"Hostile Environment"

Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with some great builders and customers. In sales, have the opportunity to make good income if assigned in a viable community.

Cons

Very combative management team. Stressful and belittling to employees. Money is taken out of commissions without knowledge. Quality of life is poor being on call 24/7 at the whim of managers.

Advice to Management

Remember the people that work on your team are real people with families. We spend more waking hours time with our co-workers than our families. Foster an environment to entice people to enjoy their jobs, prepare them to excel and make an impact on the company from every department.

"Maryland Division"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can have the opportunity to earn a great income...

Cons

....until management takes away that opportunity

Advice to Management

The turnover rate of employees under the current management team is outrageous. Perhaps it's the management team that needs to change.

"Finance"

Pros

Nice people at the Division level

Cons

Corporate leaders are inconsistent and use division employees as inventory to use up and toss away.

Advice to Management

Better Communication and treatment of employees

"NHC"

Pros

Very good sales staff. Some wonderful people working in the office. There really is not much more I can say than this.

Cons

Micromanaging, high turnover in the office which brings a constant change in procedures. Sales manager does not visit communities and will not speak to disgruntled buyers. Sadly it is a very controlled atmosphere that feels like a dictatorship. Construction personnel are very frustrated which leads to very bad attitudes. It feels like you have just entered the twilight zone on every level. If you are new in the industry you may not mind being told what to do and exactly how to do it. It is a constant test of demanding specific and immediate action of whatever the sales manager wants. NHC personnel with many years of experience are disrespected on just about every level. Managing is nothing more than a list of forms to fill out. I have never experienced this micromanaging fear based controlling management style.

Advice to Management

I leave you with a quote from Steve jobs "it doesn't make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do. We hire smart people so they can tell us what to do." Need I say more? Respect your sales people and listen to what they say or they will find wise people in management at another builder that will.

"Unprofessional culture with extremely high turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Really nothing I can recall. Perhaps bagels on Fridays? Some of the other employees were nice, but were not happy because of the toxic environment.

Cons

Please read this whole review to get all of the details. Of all the places I have worked, I have never been in such an unprofessional and toxic environment. I worked for Beazer for a few years and DO NOT recommend the company to others. As many other reviewers have stated here, Beazer is a poorly run company managed by "know-it-all" bullies. Everyone who I worked with was miserable and was looking for another job outside the company. Many of the people who remain do so because they have trouble finding another job, so the talent level of the overall company stays below its potential. This is one of the reasons Beazer has severely under-performed its peers for decades.

Turnover at Beazer (both voluntary and involuntary) is astronomical, so many projects don't get done as new employees are always getting up to speed in their jobs. Many people leave Beazer after they've figured out that their talent is being wasted as their input isn't valued. Employees are treated as interchangeable cogs which need to keep quiet and execute the whims of the CEO and CFO at all costs. You are not hired at Beazer for your capabilities, you are hired to follow the directives of senior management which are poorly laid out and frequently changed (with little or no communication).

There are so many ways to fall out of favor with senior management at Beazer including: not being part of the "clique", not being a certain personality type, making a mistake no matter how insignificant, challenging the status quo etc. Beazer makes no effort to try to address any concerns it has with an employee. Rather, it decides to just get rid of the "problem" employee and bring in a new sucker from the outside who will be put in the same bad position.

The day I left this place was the best day of my life!

Advice to Management

Here is a summary of the top two people at Beazer and how they operate. I'm focusing on these two as they make the overwhelming majority of decisions at the company. The buck should stop here, but these two have a habit of blaming current and former employees for problems they themselves have created. Unfortunately, the Board of Directors is out of touch and are there simply for the pay. As such, so they pretty much rubber stamp everything the CEO asks for.

CEO - narcissist who gets personal enjoyment from making himself look smart and others look inferior to him. A numbers guy who doesn't understand the operations side of the business. Tries to intimidate those below him and insults others in front of their face as well as behind their back.

CFO - miserable, unprofessional bully. Prefers personality over talent, rules by fear, places blame on others for his mistakes. Would be fired at any other company but the CEO protects him since the CFO does his dirty work.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend: DO NOT TAKE A POSITION AT BEAZER HOMES!

"Extremely difficult environment"

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local divisions can be better environments than company overall. If you work for Beazer it serves as a paycheck while you find a company that has a quality environment and opportunity for career and longevity.

Cons

Fear based corporate culture. Corporate bullying and public belittling of employees. Senior management routinely threatens employees. Very high turnover at all levels, including VPs and above. Open corporate distrust of division personnel. Lots of screaming, ranting, scrambling and reactionary environment.

Advice to Management

The company won't change until the senior leadership changes. Their air of superiority is offensive.

"Horrible management; Rules by fear"

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time

Pros

Outside of the corporate office, there are some great people in the field, and the house quality that the company builds is improving. Overall, though, it is still a lower end home.

Cons

Leadership at the top uses fear as their primary motivator. It is demoralizing and extremely counter productive. It is the only place where I have ever worked where yelling and cursing, including taking extremely personal and very unprofessional low-blow shots at employees is common place by management. It has created an environment where teamwork is non-existent because employees fear so much for their job or want to ensure they don't get yelled at. Employees will do only the very least to get their job done because they fear that if they do anything further that it will open them up to scrutiny, which in this case, would be far from constructive. The turnover in the corporate office is absolutely horrendous.

Advice to Management

Realize that your turnover rate says something about you and the way you try to manage. The company would be far more successful if you had a team of people who felt they could actually think outside of the box a bit and not be punished for that.

"Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few to note. The CMO and National mortgage director are amazing people. Lower level employees try very hard to be successful but organization quickly burns them out

Cons

This company will eat your soul. The weekly "sales call" is famous for the CEOs platform to belittle and abuse his management in front of peers. CEO and his posse of lapdogs are out of touch with managers and there is no trust. Comp is decent but turnover is really high. Division presidents and VPs are constantly burning out and moving on to better opportunities. If looking for a job, I recommend waiting for a better organization.

Advice to Management

The board should most likely look at replacing CEO. The company culture and success of organization will rely on getting him out.