Beazer Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 31, 2017

1.0
Allan P. Merrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits(health, dental and vision), mileage compensation, and bonus opportunities (in 5 reviews)

• Some very good people who believe they can make a difference (in 4 reviews)

"Broken Culture"

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time

Pros

Chief Marketing Officer is the only pro

Cons

Management is trained to manage through fear and intimidation

Advice to Management

People are your greatest resource. Recognize that without good people you will not have a chance at success.

"Management Will Belittle You"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay a good, market rate.

Cons

When put under stress, management at Beazer Homes will resort to belittling people indiscriminately. Apparently it's this way at all levels, in all departments, and this has just always been so. It's part of Beazer's organizational DNA, I guess.

Some people deal with this better than others. In my better moments, I feel sorry for the people dishing out the abuse. Belittling people is really just a crutch that incompetent, stressed-out managers lean on. If you can handle it for a while, you'll make some money and learn some things. Ultimately, though, if you're a thinking, feeling human being with any sort of a craft or talent, and you don't enjoy being the punchline of a bad Dilbert cartoon, you'll find greener pastures. I did.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice to give to that sort of person other than, "go skip some stones across a duck-filled pond and think about what kind of person you really want to be."

3. "Company with Poor Leadership"

Pros

You will have the name of a National Builder on your resume.

Cons

The entire company structure is to lead by fear.

"It's ok at first"

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time

Pros

the days go by fast when you are so busy and can't take a lunch. If you have an overbearing personality you'll survive. If you like to teach people how to do their job or give presentations on presentations you will also survive. your starting salary will appear promising at first.

Cons

Too many personalities that clash. A lot of fake kumbaya. If you like a challenge or something interesting to work on it's not really here. Raises are not good unless you're the company favorite. No company culture at all. All you will hear about is financial goals over and over and over and over.....

Advice to Management

Let us know how you will improve the work life balance and experience for us. Not just how much money you want to make. More vacation days and bagel Fridays arent enough

"IT Project Manager"

Pros

Extended PTO
    Bagel Fridays (I'm really reaching here to make the 20 word minimum for pros)
    Nothing more I can remotely think of...

Cons

Little to no training as a new employee
    Extreme micro-management
    High turnover in all departments
    Disorganization
    Senior management and their vision are absent
    Behind the times - using SharePoint 2007 and other old solutions and programs
    Major disconnect between IT and the rest of the company
    Too much hand-holding for people who resist change
    Very dated environment - old cubes and even older bathrooms

Advice to Management

Let your team do their job and quit micro-managing!

"Marketing"

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time

Pros

Great access to resources and marketing tools.

Cons

Massive turn over in Marketing. You’re a robot, if you don’t do you work according to Kathi or your directors “way” you are always wrong. You work in fear constantly. On an upside you have great medical coverage – you will need it for the all the panic attacks you will get. A company of bullies.

"Would never go back"

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time

Pros

The network of people that you meet is amazing.

Cons

However, those amazing people aren't there for long. The turnover rate is ridiculous and now I see why.

Advice to Management

You're losing great employees and great talent for a reason. The yearly company surveys that you give should actually be reviewed and changes should be made based on those reviews. When DPs and VPs start leaving, you should really be concerned.

"The Beazer family would be heartbroken"

Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - New Home Sales Consultant

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very good people who believe they can make a difference. That is about all I can say at this point.

Cons

The biggest problem is the CEO. He manages and micromanages through intimidation and bullying. He screams and belittles and I have never heard one good thing about him. It's offensive to have to fill out and sign an ethics agreement knowing upper level management does not live by these rules. The turnover in division offices is crippling and it is because of the toxic environment created by the CEO. Upper management throws middle management under the bus to save their jobs. Micromanaging, smoke and mirrors and deception are present on every level. Good people turn bad or leave. The stress is a constant presence that leaves you exhausted and dreading the next morning when you have to go back to work. The CEO pays himself ridiculous amounts of money and bonuses and sells off land to show a profit (more smoke and mirrors) it is by far the worst culture I have been a part of. It's sad because I know there are good people that stay believing they can make a difference, but no one can until the king sitting at the top of the pile has his throne taken away. George Beazer was a hard working stone mason and built Beazer on the foundation of a value builder. He wanted everyday people to be able to afford a new home. Today's CEO wants to line his pockets and has no respect for anyone that works for Beazer. The people take on the personality of their leader. Need I say more?

Advice to Management

The ship is sinking, get your life jackets on and jump. It will be the best career move you can make.

"If money trumps self worth, health, and happiness - then this is the place for you"

Former Employee - Upper Middle Management
    Former Employee - Upper Middle Management

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, excellent bonuses and good benefits. Promotion is encouraged.

Cons

Expect to work 70 hours a week with little to no appreciation and absolutely no regard for work/life balance or health. They "fixed" the problem of no work/life balance is by rolling out a use or lose 30 day PTO plan, because according the CEO's brilliant and pioneering mind, people are a more productive resource if they are well rested. That is only a progressive thought if it is actually intended to lead a change in culture. Here it is beyond laughable, it's a slap in the face since most people aren't able to take the couple weeks they already have due to the overwhelming and ever increasing workload (probably 30% of which is useless, busy work like memos and reports that will never be read but are doled out anyway so that Corporate Upper Management feel like they are leading). The culture is awful, the politics and nepotism are obscene and the CEO/CFO's method of leading is to disparage, berate and publicly humiliate, all in the name of their own greed. Hence turnover is high, high in all positions and higher than I have ever seen in any other large public company I have worked for. I aged 15 years in 3 years and was bordering on a nervous breakdown when I resigned . . . and I am a workaholic that thrives on stress.

Advice to Management

If the multitude of management books they have read (and force their staff to read) have done nothing to improve their performance as leaders, my advice certainly won't.

"You will work for free, commissions NOT paid"

Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None unless you enjoy working for free

Cons

I was the 8th or 9th agent on a community in N. Las Vegas, they never paid me for 8 homes I sold, which were never started............then they quit paying draw against commission, therefore you work for free, no wonder 7 agents quit before I was unfortunate enough to accept the position.

Advice to Management

Quit while you are still free from prison, oh wait, I think he's already in prison..