Beazer Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Beazer Homes Reviews

Updated February 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There were some really great people here (in 4 reviews)

• Great work environment with friendly staff (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management would listen to and trust a contractor over a seasoned employee (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management does not listen to the needs of the line managers (in 5 reviews)

1. "Shifting market"

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonus potential, matching 401K, flexible

Cons

High turnover, expensive benefits, ever changing managment

Advice to Management

Retain people

"NHC"

Pros

Very good sales staff. Some wonderful people working in the office. There really is not much more I can say than this.

Cons

Micromanaging, high turnover in the office which brings a constant change in procedures. Sales manager does not visit communities and will not speak to disgruntled buyers. Sadly it is a very controlled atmosphere that feels like a dictatorship. Construction personnel are very frustrated which leads to very bad attitudes. It feels like you have just entered the twilight zone on every level. If you are new in the industry you may not mind being told what to do and exactly how to do it. It is a constant test of demanding specific and immediate action of whatever the sales manager wants. NHC personnel with many years of experience are disrespected on just about every level. Managing is nothing more than a list of forms to fill out. I have never experienced this micromanaging fear based controlling management style.

Advice to Management

I leave you with a quote from Steve jobs "it doesn't make sense to hire smart people and then tell them what to do. We hire smart people so they can tell us what to do." Need I say more? Respect your sales people and listen to what they say or they will find wise people in management at another builder that will.

3. "great company"

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

long hours but great pay

5. "VP Purchasing"

Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I worked at Beazer Homes (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, great values, pays their bills, numerous locations natrionally

Cons

Bureaucracy caused some slow decisions, danger of too much political correctness.

"Legal Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant/Receptionist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant/Receptionist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supported several attorneys and paralegals and Corporate Receptionist. Great work environment with friendly staff.

Cons

Time consuming angry customer complaint calls.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Beazer Homes (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good hours, bonuses,

Cons

Work load is more then your paid for.

Advice to Management

Get organized

"Unprofessional culture with extremely high turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Really nothing I can recall. Perhaps bagels on Fridays? Some of the other employees were nice, but were not happy because of the toxic environment.

Cons

Please read this whole review to get all of the details. Of all the places I have worked, I have never been in such an unprofessional and toxic environment. I worked for Beazer for a few years and DO NOT recommend the company to others. As many other reviewers have stated here, Beazer is a poorly run company managed by "know-it-all" bullies. Everyone who I worked with was miserable and was looking for another job outside the company. Many of the people who remain do so because they have trouble finding another job, so the talent level of the overall company stays below its potential. This is one of the reasons Beazer has severely under-performed its peers for decades.

Turnover at Beazer (both voluntary and involuntary) is astronomical, so many projects don't get done as new employees are always getting up to speed in their jobs. Many people leave Beazer after they've figured out that their talent is being wasted as their input isn't valued. Employees are treated as interchangeable cogs which need to keep quiet and execute the whims of the CEO and CFO at all costs. You are not hired at Beazer for your capabilities, you are hired to follow the directives of senior management which are poorly laid out and frequently changed (with little or no communication).

There are so many ways to fall out of favor with senior management at Beazer including: not being part of the "clique", not being a certain personality type, making a mistake no matter how insignificant, challenging the status quo etc. Beazer makes no effort to try to address any concerns it has with an employee. Rather, it decides to just get rid of the "problem" employee and bring in a new sucker from the outside who will be put in the same bad position.

The day I left this place was the best day of my life!

Advice to Management

Here is a summary of the top two people at Beazer and how they operate. I'm focusing on these two as they make the overwhelming majority of decisions at the company. The buck should stop here, but these two have a habit of blaming current and former employees for problems they themselves have created. Unfortunately, the Board of Directors is out of touch and are there simply for the pay. As such, so they pretty much rubber stamp everything the CEO asks for.

CEO - narcissist who gets personal enjoyment from making himself look smart and others look inferior to him. A numbers guy who doesn't understand the operations side of the business. Tries to intimidate those below him and insults others in front of their face as well as behind their back.

CFO - miserable, unprofessional bully. Prefers personality over talent, rules by fear, places blame on others for his mistakes. Would be fired at any other company but the CEO protects him since the CFO does his dirty work.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend: DO NOT TAKE A POSITION AT BEAZER HOMES!

9. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Purchasing & Estimations Coordinator in Woodstock, GA
    Former Employee - Purchasing & Estimations Coordinator in Woodstock, GA

I worked at Beazer Homes (Less than a year)

Pros

Beazer Homes greatest assets is its people. They are friendly and extraordinarily focused. Having worked in both corporate offices, it's not uncommon for team members to be found celebrating each other. The company does recognize and celebrate its employees as well.

Cons

As with many employers keeping great talent is always a challenge. Ongoing training may be restricted by department.

Advice to Management

Would have loved to see visible mentors or consultants who could offer training and development courses.

"employee review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harmony, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harmony, FL

I worked at Beazer Homes (Less than a year)

Pros

They offered a good selection of benefits including a HMO

Cons

Senior management does not listen to the needs of the line managers.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say, they don;t listen anyway.

11. "Great opportunities internally!"

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time

Pros

I am current employee with Beazer and truly love my team and the opportunities afforded to me.

Cons

The hours can be long and working for a national home builder brings a lot of stress.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent regarding our financial stability. I'd like to know how the divisions are doing as well as the corporate office.