KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Bechtel Plant Machinery Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2022

Found 105 of over 114 reviews

3.4
Bechtel Plant Machinery President and General Manager Barbara Staniscia (no image)
Barbara Staniscia

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Stable company

Mar 19, 2022 - Mechanical Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very stable, good job security Good work life balance You will learn to read and write very well Good for aspiring PMs

Cons

Lack of technical engineering challenges Lots of competition for promotions to management

2. 5.0

Great place to work!

Jun 30, 2022 - Logistics Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, would recommend to anyone!

Cons

No cons that I can currently think of.

Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We're so glad you're happy, and we certainly appreciate employee recommendations!

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Extremely disappointing

Apr 25, 2022 - Fleet Analyst in Monroeville, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working hours, cafeteria, events and treats for employees, some of the people are truly wonderful, mission of the organization, good benefits and 401k match. I’m neutral on the CEO - don’t know much about her.

Cons

Depending on where you work, it’s a toxic environment. Gender discrimination, disability discrimination, harassment, bullying behavior - it all exists. Upon adding my review, I was shocked to read the cons of several other reviews that also mention gender discrimination against females, a “Boys Club” environment, and toxic environment. I can attest that it’s all true because I experienced all of it myself. You can speak up and report the behaviors as many times as you want, but sadly those who contribute to these behaviors are not held accountable. Management and HR say they support you, but they don’t do anything even when you tell them that so many others are also aware of the toxic behaviors. Unrealistic work expectations.

3 people found this review helpful

Communications Specialist

We appreciate your perspective and wanted to take a moment to address your concerns. BPMI strives to foster a safe and inclusive work environment. Our employees are expected to follow our codes of conduct, which expressly identify these behaviors as serious misconduct with actionable consequences. Any employee who experiences or is aware of harassment or discrimination is encouraged to report it to management or Human Resources. HR takes all reports seriously and thoroughly investigates each situation. A second resource for employees is our Ethics & Compliance Office. Employees can contact any member of the team directly or call our anonymous help line. (More information about BPMI as an EEO employer can be found at BPMIonline.com) BPMI’s DEI initiatives formally began in 2018, and we’re pleased with our most recent accomplishment: chartering the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Culture Change Council. To read more about what we’ve done and where we’re heading, please visit our Glassdoor company profile and reference (scroll to) the “Diversity & Inclusion at Bechtel Plant Machinery” section: https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Bechtel-Plant-Machinery-EI_IE153714.11,34.htm

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Do not recommend

Apr 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The 9/80 schedule, good government-type benefits, and made some friends.

Cons

Don't trust the portrayal of diversity on their corporate website. The people in the photos literally do not work there and assuredly are NOT representative of the actual workforce at BPMI. If you're an engineer, you may like it. If you're a white engineer (especially a male), you'll probably love it. If you're a minority or in a non-engineering role, you'll likely feel a second class citizen. Proof of this is they have an engineer's week and no equivalent for any other job function. BPMI is teeming with inept managers who lack vision, leadership skills, and basic emotional intelligence. BPMI tries to brainwash everyone into retiring there, despite its shortcomings, by making the external corporate landscape seem terrifyingly unstable. Don't be fooled. They claim to be innovative and receptive to diverse ideas but only if your "diverse thought" aligns with what the executives already want to do. They may accept your good idea if they can make it appear as their own. They won't hesitate to give you job responsibilities multiple levels above your pay grade, but they won't willingly compensate you accordingly and you'll have to fight for every dollar. On top of this, senior management is of the mentality that salaried employees should work a great deal of overtime. You must understand that if you protect your own schedule, it can block your advancement.

5 people found this review helpful

Communications Specialist

We appreciate the perspective and are sorry that your experience at BPMI was not positive. We’re very proud of the photos and several videos on our website that feature BPMI employees, both past and present. BPMI has a culture of continuous improvement; we always look for ways to do better. Our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Culture (DEIC) Change Council is one example. Chartered in 2021, the DEIC is a group of employees who are champions for change that want to help us do better in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion, so that BPMI is a place where everyone feels safe, trusted, and valued in their role. We are at a time of great change, and it is truly exciting to see BPMI become an even better place to work.

5. 4.0

Great environment

Jul 9, 2022 - Contract Professional
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work place environment and great people

Cons

A lot of trainings and a lot of learning which isn’t a bad thing but can be very overwhelming when receiving work assignments at the same time

Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review. We're passing along your comments to our training department as constructive criticism. As an employee, you already know that BPMI has a very active process improvement culture; we take all feedback into account when considering changes, and we certainly appreciate yours. Again, thanks!

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Start in Supply Chain, but Outdated

Mar 16, 2022 - Advanced Contracts Professional in Monroeville, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, PTO, Reason for doing the work is fulfilling, 9/80 schedule

Cons

It’s a political game, internally and externally. If you’re a white male, you will succeed. If you’re a female or minority, good luck. If you’re female, just don’t have kids and you’ll be fine; otherwise some people who have a very outdated and unchanging view of the workplace will think your worthless as soon as you have a baby. There is very little ability to work from home. Technology is next to non-existent. Compensation is great freshly out of school, but can quickly be beaten once you gain some experience. Management “understands” you’re overworked, but will leave it that way and let those who slack continue to do so. There is no equal pie pieces at BPMI.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee

BPMI a great place to work

Jun 8, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Pay, Benefits, and Opportunity for promotion

Cons

Technology is lacking in certain areas

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stable Place to Work

May 9, 2022 - Mechanical Engineer in Monroeville, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I get a decent amount of independence and have opportunities to apply technical skills for new projects or components.

Cons

Management is a mixed bag. I enjoy my superiors but have heard not-so good things about managers in other areas of the company.

Communications Specialist

Thank you for your review and your advice. Our formal telework policy, born of necessity (due to COVID) and since embraced by our leaders, is a great first step towards giving us the ability to provide more flexible work scheduling. We're excited by the potential!

9. 4.0

Good Company, Lots of Writing

Nov 3, 2021 - Associate Mechanical Engineer in Monroeville, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- BPMI is a good company that cares about its employees - Benefits and pay are competitive - Generous vacation and sick time - Clubs/intramurals, a gym, a cafeteria, and occasional free food - Experienced employees are generally willing to help and mentor newer employees - The opportunity to work with cool technology and gain unique experience - Emphasis on work-life balance

Cons

- While the work is technical in nature, it is mostly writing, reviewing specifications, and signing off on various things. There is very little hands-on work or design work for most employees. The company does not advertise the work to be hands-on or design-heavy, but I mention this because a lot of engineers want that in their day-to-day. - There can be lots of red tape that causes projects to move slowly. There are many efforts in place to improve upon this, but it remains an issue. - The skills you gain as an engineer are not directly transferrable to other industries. You will become a good communicator, but a lot of technical skills will not apply elsewhere.

Human Resources Professional

Thank you for your review!

10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Above average company, worth a look.

Mar 9, 2022 - Advanced Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits, stable job. 40 hours/week consistently. 4 weeks vacation after 3 years. 4% 401k, 3% 401a, good fund selection in 401k. 401k allows both Roth and traditional. Decent health care plan with HSA access with some investment options. Great job for entry-level engineer. Some options for continued education.

Cons

Compensation generally a bit below average. Annual raises generally no more than 2-3% unless promoted.

Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 105 Reviews

Bechtel Plant Machinery Reviews FAQs

Bechtel Plant Machinery has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 114 reviews left anonymously by employees. 54% of employees would recommend working at Bechtel Plant Machinery to a friend and 48% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Bechtel Plant Machinery employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Bechtel Plant Machinery. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

54% of Bechtel Plant Machinery employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Bechtel Plant Machinery 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Bechtel Plant Machinery to be compensation, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, management, career development.

Popular Careers with Bechtel Plant Machinery Job Seekers