Bechtel Plant Machinery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
David A. Hein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "BPMI has a great work life balance and awesome people" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great work-life balance, 9/80 schedule with flexible start options, great benefits including vacation days etc" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Due to the nature of work there is a good amount of red tape" (in 5 reviews)

• "No personal cell phones permitted and other security-related restrictions make it less desirable" (in 4 reviews)

"Business Professional"

Current Employee - Business Professional in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Business Professional in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture! BPMI is a positive teaming environment, where you're working together for a common goal. As a defense contractor for the US Navy, there's a high level of pride working for BPMI because we're supporting our military. If you've never worked anywhere else, you may not understand how good the culture truly is. I've worked at 4 places prior, and BPMI's culture is so much better.

Cons

The security clearance process does take a while, and you're not allowed to bring your personal cell phone into the building. Some groups have busy seasons based on the cyclical events throughout the year, so there are peaks and valleys of workload.

Advice to Management

Continue to adapt towards the diverse wants and needs of the new generations entering the workforce (Jeans Fridays, flex-time, Keurigs in the kitchenettes, awards & recognition programs).

2. "Not Engineering"

Pros

9/80. Good benefits. Stable job.

Cons

The job really does not consist of much true engineering work. This is a positive for some and negative for others.
    The pay has more to do with time worked at the company than how good of a job you do. Your work can only slightly change your path.

3. "Engineering Review"

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time

Pros

many different departments to work in, lots of different types of work available

Cons

pay is below indus try standards and opportunities for promotions appear to be political

4. "Engineer"

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time

Pros

BPMI promotes a very positive culture. Great co-workers.

Cons

No personal cell phones in the building. Due to the nature of work there is a good amount of red tape.

5. "BPMI Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great feeling knowing that your work directly impacts the men and women in service.

Cons

They do not focus on their employees. There is no real work-life balance. The employees are overwhelmed with work.

"Cognizant Engineer I"

Former Employee - Cognizant Engineer I in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Cognizant Engineer I in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers.
    Occasionally interesting when responding to TR.

Cons

Oh boy, "Discretionary" overtime. Remember that 'oopsie' where a document got out, then quickly disappeared regarding how much 'free overtime' was expected before someone could get considered for Cog. Eng. II ? I remember. We all remember.

Demographics are hysterical. Engineers are either over 55 or under 25, which corresponds to the WPAD/MAO merger.

Oh, you joined because of the tuition reimbursement? Well, we're full up right now, get on the list and maybe you'll start grad school in 4 years.

Seniority rules: If you disagree with the graybeard of your section about the technical content of a TR response, it doesn't matter if you're correct and/or prove it, because now the old guys hate you, your manager hates you, and the dept. head hates you. The correct response is to say nothing, sign your concurrence the response, and hope nothing bad happens.

Inconsistent workloads: 9/80 would have been great if it wasn't for the projects, TRs, Vendor visits, and FCTRB squabbles that required it become 10/120 because you're working on other people's deadlines. Then there's that guy in every section that seems to do zero actual work chatting with the buyers or writers all day.

NAVSEA appears to be staffed entirely by clones of one humorless man.

Advice to Management

It appears that exit interviews are purely for show, given the dates on these reviews.

Bechtel Plant Machinery Response

Aug 2, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review BPMI. Comments like these show us where we have room to improve as an employer, as well as give us the opportunity to provide a response that gives other... More

7. "Contracts professional"

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time

Pros

BPMI has a great work life balance and awesome people!

Cons

All of the security requirements and unique situations surrounding the fact that it is government related work can be overwhelming at first.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management

8. "Procurement"

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people
    Pride in work

Cons

Behind the times
    Lacks flexibility
    Flat Management Organization

9. "Good mix of work"

Current Employee - Contracts
    Current Employee - Contracts

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

BPMI gives you a good mix of work through different projects and switching departments. You also work with good people who care about the mission.

Cons

Due to the nature of work there is a good amount of red tape. The core work of contracting is sometimes comprised with administrative type work.

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every other friday off, vacation time, good benefits, college tuition program

Cons

pay is extremely substandard, work is tedious and boring, zero career opportunities at the Schenectady office, work culture is poor, management will leverage poor raises against employees committed to the company tuition program, bad attrition-revolving door of employees entering and leaving the company.

Advice to Management

pay your employees fair market salaries and you won't have such a problem with employees leaving the company.