Bechtel Plant Machinery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2019

3.4
David A. Hein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "9-80 work schedule and nice housing bonus" (in 15 reviews)

• "BPMI offers an alternative 9/80 work schedule" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No flex time, Long days, few advancement opportunities" (in 6 reviews)

• "Due to the nature of work there is a good amount of red tape" (in 5 reviews)

"Business Professional"

Current Employee - Business Professional in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Business Professional in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture! BPMI is a positive teaming environment, where you're working together for a common goal. As a defense contractor for the US Navy, there's a high level of pride working for BPMI because we're supporting our military. If you've never worked anywhere else, you may not understand how good the culture truly is. I've worked at 4 places prior, and BPMI's culture is so much better.

Cons

The security clearance process does take a while, and you're not allowed to bring your personal cell phone into the building. Some groups have busy seasons based on the cyclical events throughout the year, so there are peaks and valleys of workload.

Advice to Management

Continue to adapt towards the diverse wants and needs of the new generations entering the workforce (Jeans Fridays, flex-time, Keurigs in the kitchenettes, awards & recognition programs).

2. "Ignorance and Arrogance"

Former Employee - Engineer in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free parking. Lots of free snacks. 9/80 work days but they expect so much overtime the day off didn’t matter much.

Cons

A sweatshop for no apparent reason. Dedicated to the grooming and retention of yes men. Lightyears behind technologically and so ignorant of that fact that they will never adapt to the times, however, they are blissfully unaware. Anyone who suggests ideas outside the limited imagination of the current staff will be soundly put in their place and taught never to try to bring change or innovation to the company again. No clue about modern tools, methods, or technology. Because that’s the way they’ve always done it and they’ve been doing it so long. When the government picks up they tab, there is no reason to be efficient.
     A good resume builder for a young engineer as long as they get out with in the first year or two. Little to learn from senior members. Contract writers and middlemen, not engineers.

Advice to Management

Innovate. Modernize. Diversify. Try listening to people who specialize in their field instead of driving the knowledgeable people out. Outdated and behind the times. Too many career employees who have never set foot outside this business with little knowledge of business or technology.
    Consider requiring yearly outside professional training for professionals so they can gain new skills to keep pace with the market. . You’ve recently hired a lot of bright, knowledgeable engineers who have a lot to offer and are constantly beat down for offering sound advice, often in a publicly humiliating way , internally known as “lessons learned”. Anyone who offers a different (usually right) viewpoint is chastised and put in their place. I’ve already seen several of the best leave almost immediately and know of a few more who will soon follow. There is an embracement and reverence of the status quo that can’t be overcome.

3. "Engineer"

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery (Less than a year)

Pros

9-80 work schedule and nice housing bonus

Cons

Long days, early start time

4. "Lacks strategic planning, vision, and productivity"

Current Employee - Engineer in Monroeville, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and that’s it.

Cons

Too many to list. Off the wall inconsistent rules. Total lack of focus. Management is confused. Always putting out fires. Ever changing prirorities. No cohesion. Archaic processes, tools, and software.

Advice to Management

Have seen very little accomplished in 3 years. Lots of planning, no execution. Change needs to come from the top down. Likely will never happen.

5. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work in a mission-driven environment, working with great people.

Cons

Management and senior management attrition is very low, so advancement opportunities are limited. The stable nature of the business also breeds pockets of complacency.

Advice to Management

Vision and future strategy of senior management could be shared more fully throughout the organization.

"Not Engineering"

Pros

9/80. Good benefits. Stable job.

Cons

The job really does not consist of much true engineering work. This is a positive for some and negative for others.
    The pay has more to do with time worked at the company than how good of a job you do. Your work can only slightly change your path.

7. "Engineering Review"

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time

Pros

many different departments to work in, lots of different types of work available

Cons

pay is below indus try standards and opportunities for promotions appear to be political

"Engineer"

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time

Pros

BPMI promotes a very positive culture. Great co-workers.

Cons

No personal cell phones in the building. Due to the nature of work there is a good amount of red tape.

"BPMI Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroeville, PA

I have been working at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a great feeling knowing that your work directly impacts the men and women in service.

Cons

They do not focus on their employees. There is no real work-life balance. The employees are overwhelmed with work.

"Cognizant Engineer I"

Former Employee - Cognizant Engineer I in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Cognizant Engineer I in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Bechtel Plant Machinery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers.
    Occasionally interesting when responding to TR.

Cons

Oh boy, "Discretionary" overtime. Remember that 'oopsie' where a document got out, then quickly disappeared regarding how much 'free overtime' was expected before someone could get considered for Cog. Eng. II ? I remember. We all remember.

Demographics are hysterical. Engineers are either over 55 or under 25, which corresponds to the WPAD/MAO merger.

Oh, you joined because of the tuition reimbursement? Well, we're full up right now, get on the list and maybe you'll start grad school in 4 years.

Seniority rules: If you disagree with the graybeard of your section about the technical content of a TR response, it doesn't matter if you're correct and/or prove it, because now the old guys hate you, your manager hates you, and the dept. head hates you. The correct response is to say nothing, sign your concurrence the response, and hope nothing bad happens.

Inconsistent workloads: 9/80 would have been great if it wasn't for the projects, TRs, Vendor visits, and FCTRB squabbles that required it become 10/120 because you're working on other people's deadlines. Then there's that guy in every section that seems to do zero actual work chatting with the buyers or writers all day.

NAVSEA appears to be staffed entirely by clones of one humorless man.

Advice to Management

It appears that exit interviews are purely for show, given the dates on these reviews.

Bechtel Plant Machinery Response

Aug 2, 2017 – Communications Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review BPMI. Comments like these show us where we have room to improve as an employer, as well as give us the opportunity to provide a response that gives other... More