Bechtel Reviews | Glassdoor

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Bechtel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary and great location in Reston, VA

Cons

Unfriendly colleagues and peers. The HR department talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Too many people who have been there for 20 or more years. Company culture needs to change with the times.

Advice to Management

Upper management is stale and stuck in their ways.

"Not the Bechtel I remember...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good retirement matching program. Good co-workers.

Cons

Not doing enough to develop young high potential employees in the organization for management roles.

Not doing enough to discipline managers who do not follow the Bechtel covenants. Despite numerous complaints to HR of functional management, little to nothing is done.

Advice to Management

Employees do not feel valued. There may be an economic downturn, but your people should be treated as an asset and not like your contingency. When business ramps up again, it will be a challenge to get former high performing people back and motivated to work for Bechtel again.

"Old Boys Club"

I worked at Bechtel full-time

Pros

9/80 schedules and project experiences.

Cons

If you are female I would steer clear away. Worked there for 10 years and it has taken a huge downward spiral when it comes to treatment of women.

4. "Modern outlook"

Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bechtel full-time

Pros

Nice work environment, challenging tasks

Cons

Remote operations, hard to move up

"Worst. Job. Ever."

Former Employee - Counsel in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Counsel in Houston, TX

I worked at Bechtel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money was reasonable for how minimal and how brainless the work was.

Cons

Micromanagement and stone-age thinking about how to encourage productivity, plus active involvement in utterly reprehensible development that does nothing for the nation-states the company takes advantage of.

On the management issue, I had been a practicing attorney at a well-regarded law firm for several years before I went in-house at Bechtel, and I was accustomed to being treated like a professional. I billed (BILLED, not worked) 2600-3000 hours a year on average at the law firm, all whilst coming and going as I pleased (insofar as one can work that much and also ever leave one's desk). At Bechtel, by contrast, I was expected to report to my "supervisor" (WTF?!) any time I needed to leave my desk for more than a few minutes. That alone was enough to make me throw in the towel. Why pay for graduates from the nation's most elite law schools and then expect not only to be able to treat them like they're simply clocking in for a shift at McDonald's but also (bizarrely) like they should feel lucky to have landed in your imaginary world of needless corporate hierarchies?

Plus, the exec pool was freakishly white. And all male. The one female GC quit after a rather short stint.

I'm embarrassed I have to keep this position on my resume. Now that I think about it, I think a gap would be better than to admit my involvement.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the respect you want them to give you.

"Bechtel"

Former Employee - OSP ENGINEER in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - OSP ENGINEER in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bechtel (More than a year)

Pros

I got a nice pay check

Cons

MANAGEMENT NOT EDUCATED IN THE INDUSTRY

Advice to Management

get training

"Electrical"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bechtel full-time

Pros

9/80 work schedule, 4 weeks payed time off, good health insurance, good compensation

Cons

During the past several years, following behaviors damaged electrical department:
    - department leadership was self-serving, arrogant, dishonest, heavily biased and engaged in favoritism
    - opportunities were not given based on competency, qualifications or performance but based on personal favoritism
    - no transparency and poor communication in the department
    - no real team work
    - no technical training
    - no work/life balance, long work hours, too much pressure and no recognition unless you're friends with right people

"White privileged in Reston va"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Bechtel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly workers
    9/80 schedule
    good pto about three weeks
    Good acknowledgement system
    Good for females engineers horrible for male engineers that aren't white

Cons

Nepotism towards white people. Sends young attractive females to career fair to lure young entry but company is full of old white people. You won't make it far unless you're a white jewish male or female. Lies to employees about their performance until they decide to lay them off without notice while complaining that our generation loves company hopping. Management loves micromanaging and putting their hands on the work which causes delay but are more than willing to throw responsible engineer under the bus when asked why work is late. Company makes $32.2 billion in revenue and they have to cut cost due to no work by cutting travel budgets and holiday party freeze of raises and promotions instead of management taking a cut in their large salary. Absolute hypocrites when it comes to morality and safety. Look up "Bechtel lawsuit" on google and you will see they lost a lawsuit for lobbying taxpayer money on latest project and the same thing is happening to the current one. Their unspoken model is "sign the document because this is the way Bechtel does things and it's not going to change. If you don't like it then you can leave." They match 401k after you work for a year but they hire new entry levels with the intention of releasing them after a year because they think our current generation likes company hopping so they will take advantage of us first. Bechtel wants to get on Forbes top happiest places to work but they never will unless they fix their broken management system. This place is the definition of white privilege.

Advice to Management

Stop letting your favorites go to beaches without using PTO, stop favoring white people just because they are Jewish, stop luring young engineers with the intentions to use them and lay them off, stop lying to your employees about their performance.

9. "Supply Chain"

Current Freelancer - PPM in Frederick, MD
    Current Freelancer - PPM in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Bechtel (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good systems and policies. A bit over the top for some projects.

Cons

Many of leaders are dysfunctional and arrogant. Empty promises. If one want to be a pimp and take advantage of good performers, this is the [place to work.

Advice to Management

No advice for you.

"Sweat Shop"

Pros

4 wk vacation for everyone
    401k and trust

Cons

known as a sweat shop -- expectation is that you will work lunches (frequently scheduled lunch meetings), stay late and work off Fridays for FREE
    extremely arduous mandatory yearly employee review process
    no OT pay for higher grades
    cold cut-throat environment
    creativity discouraged
    dictatorial managers

Advice to Management

Years (decades) ago, Bechtel was family oriented, friendly, wonderful place to work. The saying used to be that Bechtel valued their employees first. This is no longer the case. Bechtel values bottom line first. Employees are expendable.