Bechtel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brendan Bechtel

Pros
  • decent work life balance (in US offices- not projects or overseas) (in 35 reviews)

• Good PTO, Good Pay, 9-80 Schedule (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack in work life balance for working women (in 44 reviews)

• no work/life balance, long work hours, too much pressure and no recognition unless you're friends with right people (in 11 reviews)

1. "It was good money but that was about it"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Aiken, SC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Aiken, SC

Pros

I can't think of any other than the pay.

Cons

Too many to list here. Had nothing to do most of the time. Felt like a place holder in the budget.

Advice to Management

I am sure other sites are better than Aiken, SC

""It is a Horrible place to work""

Current Employee - Pipe Stress Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pipe Stress Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

good vacation
    good trust and thrift
    It is a big company with a lot of projects that maybe last longer

Cons

1) slave drive
    2) micromanagement of the intermediate leads, supervisor and EGS
    3) They are unhappy if we left the desk no matter how business related or personal things
    4) Not willing to answer the questions when we ask. Give us the hard time when raise up the question or bad review

Advice to Management

Easy with the employees.
    Do not retaliation when we give a feed back

"Bechtel Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay & benefits. Great place for career admins with little or no desire for growth or to do more with their career. Some require a 4-year college degree, however no use is made of it which makes for an excellent match for those who studies the Arts & have no way to apply their studies to their life post-university.

Cons

I don't know where all of the folks with overwhelmingly positive things to say about Bechtel work, but I want to be there. Maybe it's just my department, but it is utter chaos. I believe it stems from our "leader" who provides an obscene example of professionalism, & that behavior trickles down.
    Admins are little more than another supply to folks, being passed from person to person & then thrown away when they feel like they don't like it anymore.

Advice to Management

Streamline, control the chaos

"Dissatified"

Current Employee - Procurement Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Procurement Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is good due to the amount of headache you put up with.

Cons

First off, as an IT professional working w/in the Procurement Department, you are very close to all users on every level, hence you are never respected. I would not recommend any technical IT professional to work in such an environment. You never have time to concentrate on thought provoking tasks due to the high demand of end-user support on the spot. You are like a "live" help desk employee regardless of your technical skills i.e. a programmer. You are forced to be a help desk employee mainly because new employees aren't properly trained and you are expected to train them regardless if you yourself have been trained or not. Not to mention, the application is somewhat unstable. And did I mention, you are considered a "Procurement" professional and no longer an IT Professional?? Control at its best!! Management tends to be micromanagers and have an "in your face" type approach. All while there is mass confusion due to miscommunication across the board on all levels. And everyone tends to be afraid of management and as a result, a lot of finger pointing occurs. People often don't tend to take responsibility for their actions mainly because they are lost. There is no formal and realistic training available for new comers. Only "Bechtelized" employees are respected and heard.

"I Really Really Really Hate My Job"

Pros

Paycheck, going home on time, 4 weeks PTO, 6% 401k match

Cons

They force people to move all the time for no reason. They will either tell you that your job is now in the other main office, or they move the entire office 50 miles away. It is all politics, a$$ kissing, backstabbing, lying, favoritism and meaningless busywork. Bureaucracy abounds, and I still can’t figure out what half of the people do. Meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings. Lots of foreigners taking jobs away from Americans. The only reason I took the job and endured the boredom was for the short commute to Frederick, MD. I thought it was the last job I would ever need, so I will just put up with it for a few more years until I can retire. They moved the office to Reston, so I now spend 2 to 4 hours a day sitting in traffic jams to get to a job that I hate. I am trapped there by unmarketable job skills. They stick me with crappy assignments while incompetent a$$ kissers keep getting the good projects.

Advice to Management

Focus on what people accomplish and not what time they get there or how many hours they sit in their cubicles.

"Bechtel: Make it look good on paper"

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For those who are not as experienced, you are paid for every hour you work.
    You become a creative problem-solver, because it's apart of a job
    Home office / Design engineering roles have far better culture and quality (see good reviews below)

Cons

No work life balance
    - Anywhere from 6/10s to 7/12s, 7/14s, some 16 hour days, and always on call even when off
    - no idea when you will move to the next project or when,
    - no pre-planned work schedule
    - they will revoke your approved time off
         - They will fight you on paying for your pre bought tickets

Poor quality construction practices
    - Management may not know the correct standards or how to achieve quality
     - Complete lack of training and experience of Field engineers and superintendents
     - They have procedures that they red-line and go against industry accepted standards.
     - They go against manufacturer's requirements on equipment then back charge them when equipment no longer runs correctly
     - A favored practice is if no one saw it or documented it, nothing happened even if there's a dent to a turbine, 1" alignment on a fuel line on a fuel line, or chemical spill.

Employee Opportunities Limited in field
    - If you are "cross disciplined" (ie Mech working as Elec) your skills will not translate over into other companies
    - They will assign you tasks how they seem fit despite your career goals, mentoring, or requests for future improvements
    - No technical training, no accurate reviews, no constructive criticism
    - You are likely to have a new manager or lead every 3 months to 2 years meaning growth will only be see in that time frame
    - People strongly play favorites

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your structure, quality of work, and actual people. There is more correct on paper than what is in the field - some strong talents are being covered up along with some strong mispractices. Schedule, Cost and Quality need to balance.

"Engineering"

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bechtel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation
    Opportunity to work on some of the world largest projects

Cons

Extremely poor middle management in engineering.
    Favoritism. Promotions, positions, opportunities for engineer-worker are given exclusively based on connections within the company and NOT based on qualifications,knowledge or experience.
    Mostly Indian people get promoted and get opportunities based on connections and in extreme number of cases, despite of lack of qualifications or experience.

Advice to Management

Your "great place to work" initiative is a joke and will fail unless you stop promotions based on favoritism which causes poor morale in some engineering disciplines and which already cause so many qualified engineers to leave.

"bad bechtel"

Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bechtel full-time

Pros

no good thing at all

Cons

so many bad thing to tell

Advice to Management

dis

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

9/80 schedule, opportunity to work on multibillion dollar projects. Salary is average for the industry.

Cons

Opportunities for career advancement depend on networking.
    It's about who you know, not what you know. One needs to be part of a clique or have relatives working for the company in order to advance career. Favoritism is a rule not an exception. Privileged are given exposure to acquire new skills and promoted. There is too much politics in getting promotions and assignments.
    Some leads can be unfair and even disrespectful to people however, those characters continue to thrive and move up.
    Turnover is high.
    Bonus is meager.

"Poor HR"

Former Employee - Benefits Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Benefits Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bechtel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company with some managers that are good leaders.

Cons

Little to no communication from HR. Inexperience managers that only process paperwork. Nothing innovative about the company.