Beckman Coulter Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Engineer

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Beckman Coulter

Pros
  • good management; good team members; good work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits subsidised canteen, free parking, develop potential for employees who go the extra yard (in 43 reviews)

1. "Quality Assurance"

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Challenging work that forces you to get better. Company not only cares about what results you achieve, but how you achieve them as well.

Cons

Silo culture. Resistant to change. Undervalued employer. Struggling to attract top talent due to low brand awareness in the industry.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to promote people doing good work, because they haven't been with the company long enough. You are loosing talented people.

2. "Bad work life balance"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always work to be done, never bored. Good binifits with competitive starting pay.

Cons

Company will operate in grey areas regarding employee pay. Just to avoid paying overtime.

Advice to Management

Pay people for the work they perform, people should not be treated as tools

3. "Terrible company to work for. Look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Northeast, NY

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Company vehicle for field employees.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Ridiculous amount of work hours and management constantly is expecting for employees to have little to no overtime. Benefits are horrible. We are losing customers everywhere. Very little to no support and encouragement from supervisor. Unreasonable expectations from employees. Training is very limited and not adequate. I can go on and on.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like garbage

"Dysfunctional Organization and Bad Work Life. Do NOT Expect Greatness!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Brea, CA

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Onsite Gym and good benefits

Cons

Poor environment for Engineers (all disciplines)! Product development is headed by marketing buffs that are leading this company down the wrong path because they cannot and will not communicate with the engineers. The smart people have left the company as Danaher re-orged, the low performers were let go, and all that is left is mediocrity, mediocrity, and more mediocrity. No passion and low moral is what I observe in almost all engineering departments. Most team managers are overworked and have no power to defend their direct reports. I have met only a hand full of people that I would consider are good smart folks.

Advice to Management

The dysfunction comes from you! None of you at the top get along and are creating a terrible environment and have destroyed a great company. Stop the power play and start getting along!

5. "MICRO MANAGEMENT"

Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A check, a car, decent benefit s

Cons

Bought Microscan and have no clue! A bunch of guys with sticks up the rear running company

Advice to Management

Sell Microscan back to Siemens

"Consider the review source, fun place to work"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Chaska, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Chaska, MN

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When reading reviews, consider who's writing them; the unhappy people are most likely to write something. Engagement scores are climbing, instruments are full of tech to learn about, company isn't growing like wildfire but there are always opportunities for those who know where to look. Smart people are everywhere. It's a mature company so they don't do true new research but there are still fun projects to work on. Bored in your current role? Go learn software, chemistry, manufacturing, project management, etc.

Cons

The cubicles in 316 and 322 building have short walls and are set up in foursomes so lots of interruptions. Facilities are old and worn out but I guess I'd rather have an investment in projects than a million dollar remodel.

Advice to Management

Engagement scores are good indication that what you are doing is working. Keep listening to employees. Keep in mind that DBS is good but not the only tool out there.

7. "Sr Electrical Engineer"

Former Contractor - Senior Electrical Engineer, Contractor in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Contractor - Senior Electrical Engineer, Contractor in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Beckman Coulter as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with the Medical Life products. Support provided in understanding Beckman's processes.

Cons

Program Mgrs limits my performing correct design changes and creating realistic schedules. Old lab equipment. Lack of adequate design tools. Broken custom old system test equipment made it difficult to debug designs with out eating up schedule.

"Overall great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's important to note that Beckman Coulter is actually two operating companies--Beckman Coulter Life Sciences, and Beckman Coulter Diagnostics. Certain projects on the Diagnostics side have had management issues which likely explains some of the bad reviews. Life Sciences, or at least Indianapolis R&D, has not had the same problems.

The software group I am part of has some very experienced people and has high quality standards. It's been a great place to learn best practices. We celebrate finding bugs, and the group is very candid. People are free to voice their concerns, point out ways to improve, etc. without worrying about hurting feelings. Immediate management is highly trusted and stands up for the team. There are opportunities to work closely with people from a variety of disciplines (mechanical, electrical, and systems engineering, marketing, field service, etc.) and the work is very interesting.

Cons

Beckman Coulter Life Sciences is owned by Danaher, and there's a lot of focus on meeting quarterly numbers. As a consequence, things like hiring can get put on hold even if we're growing. My particular group is very top-heavy, which is great for learning but it is challenging to find growth opportunities especially since we haven't brought very many new people in. Systems engineering is undervalued and understaffed.

Advice to Management

Senior management: Look past the current quarter's numbers. Also put less focus on "vision and mission statements", etc. and more on following through with backing truly innovative projects.

"Must move on . . ."

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Conway, AR

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love working in lab environment

Cons

Micro managing, erroneous data collection from oracle, kpi, gps, job justification etc . . . attempts to measure the intangible

Advice to Management

Walk in it, know it before you speak on it.

"Very demanding"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great if you want to make money. Unlimited overtime. Great team. Most guys help you out. Good support structure. Company car.

Cons

Unlimited overtime. No worklife balance. High volume of calls. "Guaranteed same day service if called in before 5." Demanding customers. Sales sells instruments, you have to get it into lab at all cost even if no presite or if customer is ready. Low base pay compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Better communication with engineers. Don't make promises you can't keep. If you say your giving bonuses don't say you didn't get one and not provide a reason.