Beckman Coulter Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Beckman Coulter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good management; good team members; good work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits subsidised canteen, free parking, develop potential for employees who go the extra yard (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance could improve, especially at the Senior Levels (in 37 reviews)

• No real investment in people from upper management (in 26 reviews)

"Friendly and supportive, but really varies by department"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Chaska, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Chaska, MN

Pros

- great internship program (with very competitive wages for interns)
    - great programs for early career engineers and sales-people
    - a lot of opportunity for personal and professional learning, no matter what your job function
    - good opportunity for a driven person to shine (or a lazy person to slack)
    - very understanding of personal/family needs
    - everyone is really friendly-- I've chatted in the halls with everyone from janitors to VPs

Cons

- widespread low morale and work ethic (not in every department)
    - after a certain point, all advancement is in management-- no opportunity to advance as a technical expert. This takes good engineers/scientists and makes them into bad managers.
    - can be cliquey
    - very different culture between sites

Advice to Management

Choose managers who can manage and lead-- a manager should inspire the team, not drag it down.

"A Great Long-Term Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

Pros

I really enjoy working in the medical device industry and I'd say, by far, the majority of people I've met on the job are respectful and engaged. It's also a place that lets me manage my home and family life, which I really appreciate. I've enjoyed getting to take on new challenges while I've been here. The company has changed a lot in the past couple of years and is trying to be more open and collaborative - which is a challenge for any large company.

Cons

There have been some layoffs due to changes in the business. For those of us still employed, the workload has increased.

Advice to Management

Constant reorgs make the business feel unstable. It's sometimes difficult to understand zero overhead growth and elliminating raises at the same time senior management is getting large Olympus bonuses. Employees really notice any inconsistencies.

3. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Strategic Marketing Product Manager (IC) in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Marketing Product Manager (IC) in Brea, CA

Pros

great work-life balance. Depends on the manager, the pressure is not very high. Everything moves forward at a very comfortable pace.

Cons

Do not take rumor lightly. Most of the time rumor is reality.

Advice to Management

Listen to the voice of customers and field when developing new products. Make products / purchase products that meet customer needs

4. "Manager at Beckman Coulter (CA)"

Former Employee - Manager in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Brea, CA

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good sense of teamwork and collaboration in the interaction of managers engaged in a matrix style organization, symbolized by the corporate slogan "We are Better Together"

Cons

In the recent downsizing subsequent to the acquisition by Danaher Corporation, there was an exodus of substantial experience from the organization. Unclear what short term impact will be on the organization; longer term the organization will be great.very competitive.

Advice to Management

Important that communication at all corporate levels be strong and clear to overcome some of the unfortunate communication gaps experienced in the 4th Quarter 2011.

5. "Great Place with Great People"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of work. Great support centers, Great training

Cons

Work life balance, Being on call.

Advice to Management

Promote more from outside .

"Great company with a great future ahead"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Medford, OR
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Medford, OR

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best job I've ever had. I average just enough overtime to keep me happy yet not feel overworked. Beckman/Danaher is always looking to improve operations and customer service. The pay is good, the health benefits are slightly above average, other benefits are great. My managers are supportive yet don't micro-manage like a lot of managers in other areas and in other companies.

Cons

Competition is high and labs are constantly switching from Beckman to Sysmex, Sysmex to Siemens, Siemens to Roche, Roche to Beckman. It's hard to keep all the accounts happy and areas staffed because of these challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Exciting Time To Join Beckman Coulter"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chaska, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chaska, MN

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Executive leadership committed to growth through innovation of new products. In our Chaska site, we are ramping up and bringing on scientists, engineers and other new members of our team to support the development of our next generation products. People are really excited about this and it's created a great energy at our site. There is an increased emphasis on personal accountability and through DBS, tools and resources to support people in creative, focused problem solving. There is just a lot of interesting and challenging work.

There are some great people here! Very bright people who want to challenge status quo, collaborate on ways to get better every day. Days fly by - never watching the clock. Always something interesting and challenging for me to do.

There is a true and genuine commitment to wellness; we have employer organized 5Ks, running and biking clubs as well as people who workout together before work, during lunch and after work.

Cons

I currently work here and gave this a 5-star rating based more on potential than current environment. Current environment is probably closer to a 4-star in some areas (people, work/life balance, commitment to wellness, potential for career growth) and even a 3 star perhaps in some areas. While not a majority, there are still too many people resistant to change - people fostering a cynical outlook who don't see challenge as opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to champion efforts in innovation and new product development. People in Chaska are stoked about getting to work on these projects, it's really excited the teams here. Continue conducting the Town Halls and informal chat sessions with associates at all levels in the organization. They appreciate your candor and are excited to hear from you.

8. "On the upside of a great turnaround"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes over the last few years and I finally feel like we're in a position to start doing well. The work is a lot more challenging than in the past - so it's great if you like challenges. It's starting to feel good to be here again.

Cons

The last several years have been difficult. We've got fewer resources than before and sometimes the Danaher corporate standard is a takeaway from what we had before. Managers especially seem to be a bit overwhelmed with some of the changes.

Advice to Management

Love the new Diagnostics president!!!

"Great"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brea, CA

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunity at this company

Cons

Challenging at times but satisfying

Advice to Management

Good work with new initiatives

"An extremely professional company/management team."

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very ethical, integrity is promoted and respected; always doing the right thing.

Cons

After the acquisition by Danaher, the genuinely caring for people subsided. It's all about business, KPIs, Bowlers and Funnels (spreadsheets illustrating next projects and financial streeeetttttcccchhh goals). Bad for work/life balance, but great for the business.

Advice to Management

A better combination of caring for people/employees with their stretch goals would go a longer way.