Bed Bath & Beyond Customer Service Trainer Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
Cons
  • As a salaried manager work life balance is non existent (in 75 reviews)

• Pay is a bit low, not a lot of full time opportunities (in 121 reviews)

"Great at first. Depends on the store manager."

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people you meet are great. If you have a good store manager it will be a fun and positive place to work.

Cons

Some managers make the job way more stressful than retail needs to be. The discount sucks, only 20% off your entire purchase. Basically the same thing they give customers. Corporate and district staff doesn't really care about their associates, but expects them to make sales.

Advice to Management

Make sure your store managers are mature before promoting them. Stop being cheap and pay your associates more.

"Bed bath out look from the inside"

Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Orange, CA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of hours to work. High expectations

Cons

Regional and district Management has lost grasp of what customer service means.

Advice to Management

When walking stores make it a training environment and a helpful visit. Not a "gotcha you're doing this wrong", and then leave.

3. "Great Company.... POOR upper management!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Westbury, NY

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people (floor level associates) to work with.
    IF you can get full time, great benefits.
    GREAT culture

Cons

Upper management micromanages to death.
    Constant disregard for the actual worker.
    No connection with floor level associate and management
    Good 'ole boys club. (Upper management spend WAY to much time stroking each other's egos)

Advice to Management

Lift your head from the numbers (which you are misreading anyway) and connect with the people that ACTUALLY do the work!!!!

"No Committment to Internal Training or Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer/Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer/Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Most of my co-workers were pleasant and had a team oriented attitude.

Cons

The management was a complete train wreck, little to no communication, poor time control and GM was a rude and condescending person.

Advice to Management

Put John in charge, Scott at #177 is not a nice person nor is he proficient at communication or time management.

6. "Customer Service Trainer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Novi, MI

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the customers and trading the associAte on customer service and product knowledge.

Cons

Would prefer management shifts to be 8 hours, instead of 10 hours.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Customer Service Trainer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Westminster, MD

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Each stores' management is going to be different but I love my store, the management, and our district manager. I also love the customers in my area. My pay is decent although not enough to live off of comfortably. I enjoy my role in training associates and helping customers. Employee incentives can be really good deals (much better than 20% employee discount)

Cons

They expect the best customer service with no excuses if you receive a less than 90% on your mystery shop but the company won't give the stores enough hours to be able to help customers or retain employees (who wants to work a part time job with only 10 hrs/wk). They don't hire full time or invest in their employees (better pay and more opportunities and more hours would provide long term employees).

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. Reward service. I've been with the company over 10 yrs and I got a pin and a $25 gift card. Even an employee discount that is better than what almost every customer gets would be a start (how about at least 25%). Get down in the trenches every once in awhile to really experience how things work in the store and get back to your roots. Get in some new products at xmas, its the same crap every season with the same crappy black friday deal. Amazon is going to crush the brick and mortar stores, work harder at bringing the customers out to the stores.

8. "Fantastic employer!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great management, great work environment, great customers, great customer service standards and great education for associates.

Cons

I have no complaints about my experience working at Bed, Bath & Beyond for the last 10 years and am looking forward to the next 10 and hopefully retiring from this amazing company in 31 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Customer Service Trainer"

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about myself at this store. I learned how competitive and driven I could be in a working environment. I developed many people skills while working here and learned how to be a team player.

Cons

Some of management were stuck in their ways and did not want to hear new ideas. Things could also get too competitive to where it was not fun anymore.

Advice to Management

Hear your associates ideas and try them out. If it does not work then it try something else. Give everyone a chance to make a difference in the store.

10. "Good store"

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Duluth, GA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, easy to learn.

Cons

Environment depends heavily on management being competent. Customers are very needy and spoiled

"Great people to work with, unfortunately company as a whole is very stingy."

Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The goal of the company is to give an exceptional customer service experience to every customer not normally received at big box stores. This is the way other companies SHOULD be treating customers, but many don't. Now, this experience can be faltered depending on the individual store personnel, but the call for great customer service comes all the way from corporate and is taken very seriously at the 3 different stores I've worked at in 2 different states. Other retail employees that start working here sometimes have problems adjusting to this culture and normally do not last as long as employees who come in with no retail experience. This is what makes me love working for the company. They also stay true to their "promote from within" policy. I have seen dept. managers eventually become store mangers, and have also seen 2 of my store managers promoted to district managers. And this was just on the individual store level.

Cons

Company is very stingy, putting it nicely, which comes with being a debt-free company. Smaller stores are sometimes understaffed due to lack of budgeting for hours and can sometimes be overwhelmed by unforeseen customer rushes. This also leads to some staff being overworked and performing multiple job duties that they are not technically responsible for.

You really have to love and sincerely enjoy helping people and giving great customer service to enjoy working here. Other retail employees that start working here sometimes have problems adjusting to this culture and normally do not last as long as employees who come in with no retail experience.