Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews | Glassdoor

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • As a salaried manager work life balance is non existent (in 79 reviews)

• Pay is a bit low, not a lot of full time opportunities (in 125 reviews)

"Call Center Manager"

Current Employee - Call Center Manager in Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Call Center Manager in Layton, UT

Pros

Good products and Services. The facilities are in okay condition. Computers and equipment are satisfactory. Training is only two weeks long which can be a good and bad thing. Not a great place to work unfortunately this company has so much more potential.

Cons

Management is very dis-organized. HR & Recruiting department discriminates when going through the hiring process. This is not an equal opportunity employer. They hire and fire based of popularity. If a supervisor or manager doesn't like you on a personal level they will find a way to coach you out. Also they have let go people for attendance issues unfairly. Adding additional occurrences or points for attendance and not reviewing all aspects of current employee situations before letting employees go. Very poor leadership and management skills throughout the leadership team.

Advice to Management

Workforce services should investigate all HR and Recruiting documentation of "ALL" employee files.

2. "Terrible managers and favoritism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talking with the small handful of friendly customers and helping them find what they needed
    At the location I was at, friendly was hard to come by, most of the customers were middle aged hipsters and wealthy housewives who treated the staff like their servants

Cons

The management was terrible, one assistant manager constantly yelled at everyone, one other assistant manager swore at staff as well and was totally sexist towards female employees

Advice to Management

Maybe there's a reason why you have high turn over!

3. "Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I cannot think of one .

Cons

This is a sweat shop environment. Be prepared to physically work hard moving freight.

Advice to Management

None. Management does not care or listen.

4. "Bed Bath and Beyond Call Center Middleboro"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middleborough, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Middleborough, MA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, Laid Back atmosphere, Casual Dress

Cons

Poor training, Lack of professional Management, Double standards between trainer and training group, lack of structure. They say to always reach out if assistance is needed to pass the buck, yet, when you try you are denied and told to deal with it as some calls may be difficult. Never in my career have I ever seen a more unprofessional trainer; foul language, late to class, allowed people to sleep during the training and then made the rest of the class wait for hours while it was explained gain for the sleeper. After training there was no support on the floor, and their attendance policy was horrid. I was almost fired for missing work for my newborn baby having a hospital admission.

Advice to Management

Get a better training system, institute some professionalism, and have compassion and understanding for people with doctors notes etc.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There really are no pros, other than the monthly incentives

Cons

Where to begin, not only are you salaried as SM without any OT but there is no work life balance. Days are 12 plus hours and frowned upon if you leave earlier. HR is a joke, no follow thru or actionable results. It is a bully company that treats it's employees as labor , in that case why not just be an online work warehouse. Management​ leads thru fear and retaliation. The company its self is nickel and dime-ing every little thing that affects profitability at the cost of it's employees. Payroll​ is a joke with the demand of workload presented. District support, doesn't nothing to support and are just District representatives.

Advice to Management

What's the point.

"Don't."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Layton, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Layton, UT

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time

Pros

Rarely making customers happy. Nothing really else..............cool lunchroom. Music on the floor.

Cons

Disorganized corporation. Favoritism, no one knows anything, HR corrupt, having to lie to customers.

Advice to Management

Send memos.

7. "Broke some labor laws, management later got replaced."

Former Employee - Cashier in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

Nice coworkers, 20% off purchases. Pay was slightly above minimum wage.

Cons

Management was really disorganized and didn't allow us to go on breaks, lunch, or leave our shifts on time. I ended up doing a shift over 6 hours long without getting a lunch since I wasn't allowed to leave when my shift was supposed to be over. Taking sick days was highly discouraged; had coworkers interacting with customers while they had the flu or fevers. Scheduling was a nightmare and the week's schedule went up with very little time to make any corrections. I was scheduled to work during some of my classes, etc.

Advice to Management

Get organized and hire people who can actually figure out how to schedule people. Hire more cashiers so you stop breaking the law.

8. "Too Many Chiefs"

Former Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, BBB had a tendency to hire very friendly people. Almost everyone I worked with was very nice. I really did enjoy working with most of the people at my store.

Cons

BBB has three main problems: first, they have a bloated top-heavy management staff. Way too many chiefs, and not enough braves. What this often leads to is contradictory instructions and/or work assignments. Manager A wants one thing, but Manager B wants something else. It's hard to provide the company a focused, competent performance when you're the rope in a tug-of-war between managers with their own (often personal) agenda. This lack of a clear chain of command leads directly to the second problem: a lack of clear communication. The company TRIES to get its policies and priorities out, but with the jumbled management situation, there's a lot of assumption that "someone else" has communicated to an associate. Often enough, communication fails, but unfortunately it's the associate who's thrown under the bus because not knowing a policy or procedure is "no excuse." The third and last major problem is that the company is 25 or 30 years behind the curve with technology. I'll grant that as of late, they've been making a big effort to correct this, but at this stage, it's probably too little too late. Customers find their patience tried in way too many ways, and it's the associate who will bear the brunt of the blame. it's very difficult working in an environment where the logistics employees rely on just don't work.

Advice to Management

Continue upgrading technology. You're so far behind other companies that you should even consider INVESTING in upgrades and IT talent to play catch up. A smart CEO would recognize the money being flushed down the toilet via the company's bloated bureaucracy, but I'd be skeptical anyone would have the guts to change it. The rapid demise of retail stores will probably force change at some point, but the ship's already hit the glacier and is taking on water, so things are looking grim.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to speak of.

Cons

Regionals and above like to bully subordinates. No freedom to offer your suggestions on things to improve. Stress levels are very high.

Advice to Management

Work a month in the shoes of each level of store management.

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winter Garden, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winter Garden, FL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond (More than a year)

Pros

The customers that come to this location are great

Cons

Managment is for themselves there is no moving up in the company

Showing 369 of 2,339 reviews