Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
Cons
  • As a salaried manager work life balance is non existent (in 74 reviews)

• Not a lot of full-time opportunities (in 118 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours & schedule can be flexible for school

Cons

Retail hours and holiday hours

"Great at first. Depends on the store manager."

Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Trainer in Houston, TX

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people you meet are great. If you have a good store manager it will be a fun and positive place to work.

Cons

Some managers make the job way more stressful than retail needs to be. The discount sucks, only 20% off your entire purchase. Basically the same thing they give customers. Corporate and district staff doesn't really care about their associates, but expects them to make sales.

Advice to Management

Make sure your store managers are mature before promoting them. Stop being cheap and pay your associates more.

"Good part time job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide adequate training and compensation

Cons

Hours vary too much. You will be expected to work almost full time during the busy seasons and then they will cut your hours so you don't achieve full time status.

Advice to Management

Open more full-time positions. You spend time and money on training associates. Unless you do more to keep them employed, this money is being wasted.

5. "Retail Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Casual environment was great as well as the ability to order merchandise that you felt would sell well.

Cons

Stores did not receive enough hours to satisfactorily help customers or to complete heavy workloads. Managers expected to do too much of the physical work in their facilities because of tight labor constraints.

Advice to Management

Add labor to stores so that managers and their subordinates can be successful in building sales, complete heavy daily workloads, and actually be able to give customers their full attention.

"its retail"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are great & genuinely like almost all of them, minus one or two. The managers are approachable. The job isn't hard, usual retail stuff like stock replenishment, cashiering, recovery, merchandising etc. Pretty flexible scheduling for a retail job. Decent employee discount. They give you classes on products so you know how to help customers better. The hours are pretty good, for full time at least. One or two closing shifts a week at most, mostly morning/day shifts.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. They want us to give "excellent customer service", which if everyone in my store did exactly that...nothing in the store would get done. Corporate doesn't want us doing projects for half of the day. They want us to get x amount of orders in a day & a week. When we don't have stuff in the store but we have it online or we don't carry it at all, regardless if we know the answer already we still always have to go "let me check!", which to me is just a waste of not only their time but my time & they're all about "every minute counts!". We have to make sure we don't look "too busy" otherwise people might not ask us for help. Upfront we have to ask customers a number of questions that just make the whole check out process much longer when some people really only wanna come in & go asap.

But they do expect us to make sure all stock replenishment is done, the shelves are stocked, the store is neat, all freight is put away before we open, certain departments need to be rotated or space needs to be made for new products coming in, all the while giving excellent customer service & floor associates doubling as backup cashiers because they never give stores enough hours to be properly staffed.

Very poor manager communication, where as small as my store is & how few managers we have it's remarkable how some don't know about this or that but some others do. Or worse yet, some managers don't know how to do certain things that you a newer associate does know how to do.

Not the best pay & then also regardless how hard you work everyone gets the same 20 cent raise even though some people are doing half of other peoples jobs.

Customer service to the company essentially is kissing up to customers & just doing whatever they want, even when they shouldn't. To the point where we've returned things that aren't even sold in our store because the customer insists they bought it here. A lot of the customers have this entitled stuck up attitude that they can do whatever they want, say whatever they want & treat employees like garbage when we're not being unfair or difficult or rude or anything. I've had people yell at me because we were out of something & they don't understand the concept of stuff being out of stock for whatever reason thats out of our control & I can't say anything to them about how they're being disrespectful to me no matter how polite, I'm just supposed to smile & nod & apologize to them. Customers put rugs on the floor & step all over them, open up items & take stuff out of the packaging, & you can't really say anything about it. Same customer usually comes up to ask for an additional discount cause some small thing or another is wrong or damaged, usually just on the packaging they're going to take off regardless??

Also the company has policies & such that...we just never enforce, we're always "accommodating" customers "just this once".

Employees that need to be talked to about work performance are never really talked to even when everyone knows they're not doing their job 100% & they're making the people who do do their job right harder. They're not really held accountable for anything they don't do right. But people who do try their hardest to do their job right frequently have their mistakes or "needs improvement" things brought up, little to no mention of when you're actually doing your job well or you're going above whats expected of you because the managers are never around & don't pay attention to that stuff.

Managers all have different ways of doing things which is fine, outside of when it's not their area of the store & then they just don't care to ask how that manager likes stuff done & they do it however they want to do it, which in turns causes a bit of drama/problems.

Hours for part time associates can range from okay to not so great.

Company likes to move people around even though they're performing well where they already are.

If a customer complains about you, no matter how exaggerated their complaint is when it didn't happen that way, the customer is always in the right.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better & stand by them, give better raises, hold employees that aren't doing their job accountable, pay attention & reward the ones that are, if someone is doing good where they are don't move them somewhere else, enforce your policies,

7. "Strong Business Platform"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newtown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newtown, PA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can learn a lot if you have good managers. Always busy and never a dull moment. Can move up if you work hard and are smart, but some politics you will be dealing with. The store manager is the determined factor if it is a good store. If he/she is good you will have a good experience. Ask for $10 when asking for pay. That is the most you'll get but they will definitely go less if you allow it.

Cons

over work employees. Best employees are expected to have pressures of the managers without the pay. can be a very physical job if you work on and side, and not cashier. Managers don't always get a long. Depending which manager is on for the shift is which side will get crapped on lol.

Advice to Management

realize strong employees you have. great training. should improve the discount for employees.

8. "Bed Bath & Beyond Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Some managers can be flexable with scheduling if you are a consistent and reliable worker . Very lenient with switching stores.

Cons

2 years in the company and I have only seen 1 associate given the opportunity for growth within the company . Many associates within my store have been working for BBB for over 5 years and are still store associates . Even managers who have been with the company for from 5 to 10+ years remain in positions similar if not the same position they were initially hired for .

9. "Front End Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard and take customer service seriously, you can move up in positions on a store level.

Cons

Turnover rate is high, and pay isn't as high as it should be for bridal consultants and positions higher up in store, considering the level of sales and expectations from the company.

Advice to Management

Consider the value of long term employees

10. "Could be worse, could be better"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Union, NJ

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to work for a retailer that everyone knows (and loves). Most people are great to work with. Fun, relatable products to work with and talk about.

Cons

Very little in the way of formal training or education, limited benefits, old systems, old ways of thinking.. seems like some people are "stuck"

Advice to Management

Get flexible, invest in your people

11. "Okay place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best part of the job is the great people you get to work with.

Cons

50-53 hours per week and your 2 days off are always separated

Showing 690 of 2,209 reviews