Beecher's Handmade Cheese Cheesemaker Reviews | Glassdoor

Cheesemaker

2.0
Kurt Beecher Dammeier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A most disappointing employer."

Former Employee - Cheesemaker/Hoopbreaker in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cheesemaker/Hoopbreaker in Seattle, WA

I worked at Beecher's Handmade Cheese full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You do produce a stellar product and work with the best coworkers you'll ever have. I can't speak to that enough, the coworkers that I spent my months with were what made the job survivable.

Cons

Management is the largest and most damning problem with Beecher's. A definitive lack of support in training, care and concern for the employees of Beecher's seems to be management's modus operandi. Regularly hours, times and new responsibilities are implemented with little to no warning or care for the employees.

My time spent I saw my hours lengthen depending on how few people Management could get away with assigning, often times putting a brand new hire (with no experience) in a position that was meant for a experienced employee. Cheesemaking shifts would leave you feeling broken, due to injured employees being scheduled as if they didn't have the restrictions. None of this wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that production never slows down (the first down day I ever knew of being the 4th of July, 2015). The average day at full prodction involves turning 40 tons of milk into slightly less than 4 tons of cheese. No person I know working there didn't leave work with out more than minor aches and pain on good days, let alone bad ones.

Finally, the nail in the coffin is just the general inconsiderate behavior management has. Tests, modifications and changes that were imagined to help, but rarely was any actual confirmation from the people working was sought out. Things would just change and your life and work would have to adapt regardless of how effective it was.

This job could have been great, instead I felt horrible with no interest in the pay. Pay, which according to management is competitive, despite that being based in Seattle raises the expenses exponentially.

In short, maybe at one time Beecher's made great cheese. Now it's just cheese, nothing special and not worth your time.

Advice to Management

Work with the actual cheesemskers and hoopbreakers. Hire more than the lowest amount of employees necessary. Adapt production to your workforce. Institute an actual standardized system of training beyond printed word documents. Pay a competitive Seattle wage for the work required.

Either catch up to what your employees need, or just let the production floor unionize. I do not have faith that it will ever get better unfortunately.