Beecher's Handmade Cheese Reviews | Glassdoor

Kurt Beecher Dammeier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Web Shipping"

I worked at Beecher's Handmade Cheese part-time

Pros

A fun company to work with. Got to taste a lot of their great food. Management was very hands off.

Cons

Limited hours and sometimes I wouldn't know when to come in until that morning

"Customer services"

Current Employee - FOH in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - FOH in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Beecher's Handmade Cheese part-time

Pros

Flexible schedules
    Room for new skills
    Good training

Cons

Somewhat poor management among the managers.

"Hard work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Get in shape
    Make tasty cheese

Cons

Underappreciated
    Bad hours
    Low pay
    Physically difficult, show up in shape

Advice to Management

Care more about keeping employees

"A most disappointing employer."

Former Employee - Cheesemaker/Hoopbreaker in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cheesemaker/Hoopbreaker in Seattle, WA

I worked at Beecher's Handmade Cheese full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You do produce a stellar product and work with the best coworkers you'll ever have. I can't speak to that enough, the coworkers that I spent my months with were what made the job survivable.

Cons

Management is the largest and most damning problem with Beecher's. A definitive lack of support in training, care and concern for the employees of Beecher's seems to be management's modus operandi. Regularly hours, times and new responsibilities are implemented with little to no warning or care for the employees.

My time spent I saw my hours lengthen depending on how few people Management could get away with assigning, often times putting a brand new hire (with no experience) in a position that was meant for a experienced employee. Cheesemaking shifts would leave you feeling broken, due to injured employees being scheduled as if they didn't have the restrictions. None of this wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that production never slows down (the first down day I ever knew of being the 4th of July, 2015). The average day at full prodction involves turning 40 tons of milk into slightly less than 4 tons of cheese. No person I know working there didn't leave work with out more than minor aches and pain on good days, let alone bad ones.

Finally, the nail in the coffin is just the general inconsiderate behavior management has. Tests, modifications and changes that were imagined to help, but rarely was any actual confirmation from the people working was sought out. Things would just change and your life and work would have to adapt regardless of how effective it was.

This job could have been great, instead I felt horrible with no interest in the pay. Pay, which according to management is competitive, despite that being based in Seattle raises the expenses exponentially.

In short, maybe at one time Beecher's made great cheese. Now it's just cheese, nothing special and not worth your time.

Advice to Management

Work with the actual cheesemskers and hoopbreakers. Hire more than the lowest amount of employees necessary. Adapt production to your workforce. Institute an actual standardized system of training beyond printed word documents. Pay a competitive Seattle wage for the work required.

Either catch up to what your employees need, or just let the production floor unionize. I do not have faith that it will ever get better unfortunately.

"Rampant nepotism, bad management and horribly exploitative."

Current Employee - Hoop Breaker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Hoop Breaker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Beecher's Handmade Cheese full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers tend to be good people and really relaxed. Usually a young group that is welcoming to new people and enjoy hanging out. Excellent workout if you are reasonably fit to begin with.

Cons

Horrible management that rewards favorites and those that survived the initial screening period of being a hoop breaker with steady schedules and better shifts/pay. The work is incredibly hard on your body, and only minimal effort is put in to reduce the amount of safety issues/injuries. Overnight graveyard shift for the least that they can pay you- currently $14.50, though we will see what the minimum wage increase makes them do. Cutting costs is the key word around here. Average expectancy of a new hoop breaker is 1-2 weeks before they quit. Pike place is super sketchy at night, so expect drunks/drug addicts/homeless all the time. Constantly adding on responsibilities for an entry position.

Advice to Management

Instead of blaming the people, maybe you should look at yourself to see why you can't keep employees. The environment sucks, the hours are terrible and unreliable, schedules change constantly and you are now paying barely above minimum for a job that most people couldn't do for more than a few months. Increase the pay, guarantee hours and stop blaming the people if you want to retain talent. And do something about all of the slip hazards!

"A modern day sweatshop....."

Former Employee - Hoop Breaker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Hoop Breaker in New York, NY

I worked at Beecher's Handmade Cheese full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beechers makes an amazing cheddar cheese, highly awarded and recognized

Cons

The work is extremely physical, there are no organized breaks, fresh water is rare, the pay is nominal, the management is hands-off and has an attitude bordering on arrogant. Promises of quick ascension is a lie. The cheese is more machine made than handmade and there are tons of toxic chemicals and vapors involved.

Advice to Management

Try and manage. In 8 months of working at Beechers the management was NEVER on the floor supervising or advising. Nothing about the cheese process was taught and learned. Breaks need to be sheduled, water needs to be there always and the toxic vapors need to be recogbnized and handled.