Beepi Reviews | Glassdoor

Beepi Co-Founder & CEO Ale Resnik
Ale Resnik

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours 50-60 hour workweeks are the norm here" (in 26 reviews)

"great place to work for"

Pros

Great pay, Great people, Got to travel a lot.

Cons

long hours so it will take a toll in your family

2. "Startup experience"

I worked at Beepi full-time

Pros

Friendly environment and Good people to work with

Cons

Disconnect between management and employees.
    long hours so it will take a toll in your family

3. "Was ok!"

Current Employee - CX Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - CX Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Beepi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had some good lunch

Cons

Managment was not the best

4. "Needed improvement"

I worked at Beepi full-time

Pros

there was a fully stocked kitchen

Cons

favoritism, bias, and lack of experience in management

Advice to Management

get some job experience

5. "Beepi is no more"

I worked at Beepi full-time

Pros

Great young talent who worked there

Cons

Out of business due lack of leadership and bad business practices

"Good while it lasted"

I worked at Beepi full-time

Pros

the people were smart, hardworking, and cared for one another
    pay
    benefits

Cons

There was no transparency or honesty, management was a joke.

Advice to Management

never found another company!

"Good Idea..Poor Execution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Altos, CA

I have been working at Beepi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Title says it all..had a great idea but failed in execution
    - work with some of the hardest working folks
    - free food and snacks
    - employee discount on cars

Cons

-Founders lacked experience and were emotional in their decision making
    -Did not rely heavily enough on data and metrics
    -Recruiting was not transparent with candidates which led to a difference in expectations (hours, tasks, perks)

Advice to Management

A total lack of transparency and trust in your senior management led to the company's disappointing end. If you start another company please learn from your mistakes and treat your employees the way you want them to treat your customers.

"1 Month Post-layoff Review"

I worked at Beepi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wanted to take some time before writing this, as a means to reflect and share my thoughts with a cool head:

I'm genuinely proud to say that I worked here. Not because of the company's (now diminished) reputation or my serving under 2 founders, but simply due to the caliber and integrity of the individuals who made this company what it is. Dedication, creativity, cross-functional efforts and pure, raw talent embody the characteristics of your average Beepier. I have not seen a better example of cross-functional collaboration between teams nor did I think I would make as many close friends at a workplace as I did at Beepi.

Regarding my experience, I'd be hard-pressed to say I was not challenged. My immediate management comprised of hard-working individuals who pushed our team hard. Perseverance and gumption within our team ultimately led to successful execution, time and time again. This mindset facilitated a proactive take on operational challenges along with the ability and privilege for us to wear multiple hats; Jack-of-all-trades, if you will.

The perks were also a major pro. Wellness program, health benefits, catering and a well-furnished workplace are all part and parcel to what made Beepi...Beepi.

Cons

Pardon the length, laid-off individuals were not given the courtesy nor dignity of a proper exit interview:

Culture: Looking back, I do not believe the company’s leaders were after its employees' best interests. Bold statement? I'll elaborate. I joined Beepi at a time when leaving before 9pm resulted in public shaming over a megaphone, at least 50% of new marketplace team members physically broke down within their first month, employees were asked to work on national holidays (Labor day…seriously!?), raises and promotions were handed out like candy (not merit-based), decisions were made without the consideration of long-term data driven metrics/KPIs, and immediate priorities were severely mismanaged and ultimately not achieved.

Sweden recently mandated a 6-hour workday. A very interesting study that I would like to break down in layman's terms. If I have a limited amount of time to achieve ‘X’ amount of work, I will be compelled to increase my efficiency and complete my work in the specified time. On a personal level, this ideally would increase one's time-management skills. On the contrary, Beepi's culture *strongly* (but informally, of course due to legal reasons) encourages face-time in an effort to appease upper management --> To you I ask, how do you expect your employees to repeatedly perform well when the culture itself facilitates inefficiency down to its roots?

Transparency: Another diminishing theme over the life of the company. Seemingly transparent talks turned into secretive speculation. Let's use fundraising as a prime example. ~ August 2015, Beepi closed a round of funding in the amount of approx. $70M. This number was never actually disclosed to the team who were anxiously awaiting the results during many of the Beepi's company-wide meetings, "Meet and Beep" or as an employee accurately dubbed them "Beep and Sleep". Beepi's core revolves around customer service; specifically under-promising and over-delivering. On the contrary, "Co-founder and CEO Ale Resnik told the Wall Street Journal in May he expected to raise more than $300 million “monster round” of financing at a valuation over $2 billion." --> How? When? So many questions, so little answers. Might have been much more prudent to publicly announce a fraction of that amount and the $70M would have looked great! ;)

Secondly, the layoffs: 1 day prior to the mass layoff, CEO announces to the marketplace team “do not worry, everything will be alright! ☺” Fantastic.

At the final meeting, the founders admitted that they had known Beepi was in a tight spot for over a month, and ultimately blamed Trump's administration for not achieving funding goals; all while Beepiers were left clueless and soon jobless.

Demise: It’s difficult to pinpoint the cause, as there were many contributing factors. However, the obvious ones were frivolous spending, lack of checks-and-balances between the Finance team and the other departments, and minimal process automation over an extended period of time.

Advice to Management

We've all been humbled and now is time to realize that Beepi is *not* a technology company. It is a glorified online dealership with a talented team, a website, an iOS app, and an internal database. There is nothing wrong with this. The sooner management comes to grips with this reality, they will understand who /what they are up against, how to properly disrupt the market, and manage funding better. It was a crazy ride with many ups and downs. I do not regret it for a second. To my fellow Beepiers still chugging along, I wish you the very best! #beepbeep #100%orNothing #NoOneWinsAlone

"Specialist"

I worked at Beepi full-time

Pros

Fantastic company to work for

Cons

Start up lost funding and ultimately went under

"No work life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Beepi (Less than a year)

Pros

There was an awesome team to work with at Beepi. Everyone in the team was very helpful and there were many learning opportunities here.

Cons

No work/ life balance. 80% of the company was laid off in December. Interview process took to long and and they were not very transparent about the hours we will be working.

Advice to Management

They need to be more transparent with the employees. Some management did not do as well as others and was hard to communicate with.