Bel Fuse Reviews | Glassdoor

Dan Bernstein

1. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Darien, IL
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Darien, IL

I have been working at Bel Fuse (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation package and benefits

Cons

Lack of direction within the company, kind of chaotic

Advice to Management

Streamline better communicate more with your employees

2. "no reality TV is this entertaining"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Bel Fuse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

endless story lines for my situational comedy I'm writing....

Cons

1) an employee is assigned by the CEO to spy on the non-exempt AND exempt employees to ensure they are at their desk by stated "working hours" 2) working from home and/or flexible working hours are strictly prohibited (this includes senior level exempt employees who work 60+ hours a week, you must be at your desk each day at your start time or your will be reported as "tardy") The CEO has multiple hidden cameras throughout corporate headquarters to monitor employees activities. There is zero trust of employees, and as stated by a prior employee post CEO is not qualified, incompetent. Paranoid. Check, check, check.

Advice to Management

Wake up. The paranoia, actually having company resources track who is and who isn't at their desks? Pathetic. I can assure you, the employees you're recruiting aren't engaged if this is the talent you're attracting. Alas, neither the leadership nor the Board would notice. Company outlook? Poor.

3. "Old School"

I have been working at Bel Fuse full-time

Pros

The working environment is very relaxed

Cons

The attitudes of most managers is old school - no need to driver forward with new ideas when what we are doing is working ok.

5. "Ownership/Management Ruins Bel Fuse and It's People"

I worked at Bel Fuse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bel Fuse is full of good, capable team members and a global organization spread across 6 divisions. Each division is managed independently, but the company is working to align the entire company onto the same web-site, ERP system, and global organization overall, which allows for multiple customer reps that can align various divisions onto the same customer for potential increased business. The products are strong and functionally comparable to industry leaders, and there is a high level of engineering knowledge that has the potential to push the company forward from a product standpoint.

Cons

Bel Fuse Management, primarily the President of Bel, have absolutely no idea how to manage a business in today's world. Their focus is on relatively unimportant things:
    - Work Hours from 8-5
    - Cost Cutting for food and entertainment during international work trips
    - No reviewing of equipment purchases or requirements
    - No integration of different divisions onto one team, and allowing for multiple ideas to flow freely with a review board
    - Don't care about project reviews, budget reviews, product roadmapping, etc.

Basically, they are an old company run by a family mentaility and do not want to lose their way of doing things. Working in a division recently purchased, my thought was to move forward on various projects and try to be progressive and proactive. Instead, I found that the old team from the legacy Bel division that took us over didn't want to hand any control over, and had no desire to try anything new. Every project that was proposed was shot down.

Bel plays favorites, and it was clear within the first month of working with them. They focused all on first impressions, not on body of work. Everyone gave good first impressions, but not all seemed to gain the respect of the people in charge. Lots of tattle tailing, a lot of bureaucracy, too much politics and kissing up.

Working late into the night with Asian team members, I was told that I should just cut all night-calls, which would have meant no business being done during their work hours. I decided to go against that independent of their request, as I knew it was a bad request.

I was promoted to a higher position, only to be comp'd at a lower level salary. I was shocked and hurt by their lack of a salary increase. Their team was constantly penny-saving without knowing why. They were mismanaged and miscalculated what was important.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers, try to get more younger team members onto your team. Make Bel a desirable location for the future. Otherwise, you'll never do better than 4th or 5th place at anything. Make management realize they are ruining their future to appease the legacy workers. All people are important, but you need to be realistic on what will grow this company.

6. "Manager"

I have been working at Bel Fuse full-time

Pros

The benefits are average.
    If you stay a really long time with the company you can become part of the inner circle and be buddies with the CEO which can boost your career. It's a family company with all the drama (if you like drama)...

Cons

Salaries are below average.
    Feels like a mixture of Sopranos & Jersey Shore at times.
    Two very large acquisitions in the recent past is going to make work life balance miserable due to the amount of extra work to integrate those two companies.
    Only buddies of the CEO get promoted.

Advice to Management

I truly believe the current CEO is not qualified to run the company. But he is the son of the founder and being in the family is the most important thing here at Bel Fuse....

7. "Bel review"

I have been working at Bel Fuse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work in a team wher we have International assignments accross the world. Small team allows us to participate on many projects and allows a realy independent work without plenty of supervision. There is a friendly atmosphere an opportunities for growts.

Cons

Most of the senior level management is just before retirement, so to implement a new and modern management style is not easy.

Advice to Management

Application of modern management principles especially in renumeration scheme as well as motivational bonuses would help.