Belami Reviews | Glassdoor

Mihran Berejikian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Management View"

I have been working at Belami full-time

Pros

Fun place to work. Great people. Lots of opportunities to do new things and drive change.

Cons

Can be very challenging. Ability to access data and drive analysis is complex and frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your team.

Jun 15, 2018 – President

Thank you so much for the great feedback! We are so glad that you enjoy the people, environment, and culture that we have cultivated here at Belami. We do recognize that the work can be challenging... More

2. "The cons outweigh the pros"

I worked at Belami full-time

Pros

Decent location with a free parking lot so you dont have to deal with the hassle of finding street parking. The hourly schedule is somewhat flexible but you are expected to meet your deadlines. Your experience at this company truly depends on your team and the manager you work for. There are a handful of awesome employees and managers who not only care about the company, but the well being of their team. They are willing to help train and guide you on the path to success.

Cons

The number of lazy and disconnected employees should be a cause of concern for the owners and upper management. Alas, they are unable to identify these problem employees because the employees who have good work ethic and morals usually pick up the slack without any compensation/rewards. Another problem is the number of unqualified and unempathetic managers that rule this company. These are the managers that like to place blame on the employees under them whenver anythign goes wrong,they offer little training, they always try to pass work on to other teams even if it shoudl fall within their department, they always try to sound smarter than they are by using buzz words and stereo typical statemetns that hold no value whenever they talk. One of THE biggest problems of this company is the blame game and the back stabbing between departments. Everyone is too afraid to take accountability for their own mistakes. This is due to the cutt throat culture the owners and bad managers created. There is very little cohesion and teamwork between departments. Everyone is out to either one up each other or to try and get people they dont like fired or push them to quit. The number of quality employees/mangers here are outnumbered 1 to 10. Thats disgusting and would never be acceptable at a fortune 500 company.

Another issue Ive noticed, is the lack of an HR department during my tenure. Employee problems and issues went unresolved and ultimately people would just give up and quit. The high rate of turnover at this company is not only stressful but its detrimental to the team. The success of the team as well as the company depends on solid foundations that need to be carried into the future.

One last red flag that ultimately pushed me to put in my two weeks is the lack of empathy and respect from upper management as well as the owners. Employees here are treated as disposable. The wages offered are far below market rate. The benefits offered are TRULY minimal. These are two of the biggest factors that distinguish a company and a GOOD company. I found it almost impossible to take any time off while working here. I would either get hounded by the owners or work would pile up multiplied by the days i was gone. There was no system in place to help distribute work among team members whenever someone took time off. A good company recognizes employees have lives to live outside of work and the value of work life balance. Here, you are expected to DONATE your blood and soul to the company. I wouldn't have minded putting in extra work if i was compensated appropriately. The holiday and PTO schedule here is sparse. I never understood why the owners were so greedy and stingey about everything. An employees happiness translates to their work and ultimately more money for the company.

Advice to Management

Please take a look at companies better than Belami. How are they able to retain employees, what are the wages and benefits they offer. This shows you CARE about your employees.
    Please identify not only the bad employees, but also the bad managers too. Their attitudes and behaviors spread throughout the company and should be addressed appropriately.
    Please address employee issues as they arise. The more you let a problem fester, the worse it gets, and the more difficult it is to resolve down the line.
    Maybe have a comment box, so employees can drop anonymous comments about whats really going on.

Jun 15, 2018 – President

First, we thank you for providing your feedback. We are continually looking to grow, so timely constructive feedback is necessary. In reading your feedback though, I’m curious as to how long ago it... More

"Digital Marketing Analyst"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Belami full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great place for recent graduates to get a lot of experience quickly. They will ramp up your responsibilities in a short amount of time if you show the competence to handle them.

Cons

- The pay was below average
    - Not a fun place to work, but there are some great people who work there
    - Marketing activities were primarily SEM, which makes sense for their business model but I got bored of Adwords pretty quickly
    - Not a lot of employee development opportunities beyond learning the day-to-day tasks required to be successful at your job

Advice to Management

Provide more employee development opportunities. This would make the company more attractive, especially to recent graduates. Be less reactive in the market and more innovative/proactive. It often felt that we were playing catch-up with our competitors instead of attempting to set the tone in the market. When we did try to innovate it would not roll-out smoothly and people would quickly revert back to the previous strategy.

Jun 15, 2018 – President

Thank you so much for providing your feedback. We’re happy that you were able to ramp quickly into your role, and that you saw the importance of the work being done. It’s unfortunate though, that you... More

"Unprofessional, Unethical, and Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Belami full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual attire and non-management co-workers (while they lasted, as there's very high turnover, and senior management considers "a dime a dozen"

Cons

At Belami, any "Opportunities" involving your ideas are transparent excuses to milk employees of their intellectual property without adequate compensation.

I'd advise you to document everything and have a great relationship with HR, but that's where the ethical lapses begin and end. Middle Managers regularly mistreat employees and HR doesn't simply turn a blind eye - they actively encourage employees not to make formal complaints.

Passive aggressiveness is the most managerial style practiced, when it's not directly aggressive and involving shouting matches involving and amongst middle and senior management. The highest you can aspire to at this point in the company is middle management that's underpaid and overworked, and where the buck ultimately stops pushed because Senior Management isn't professional enough for accountability.

I quickly learned the company was not what they advertise. Their legacy is best captured in descriptions of the company I heard not just from every entry level employee with more than a month's tenure, but directly from managers:

1) "if you are still working at Belami it's because you're too lazy to find another job"
    2) "Belami is the place Sacramento's dreams go to die."

Most common descriptors used for company culture: TOXIC & UNETHICAL

I almost forgot to comment on the technological culture, but that's because there isn't one. Predictably, there is neither imagination nor forward thinking, and decision makers hardly understand technology. Work occurs almost exclusively in silos, as management struggles severely with both internal and B2B communications.

Advice to Management

Honesty is the best policy. Even children know that, but only adults practice it.

Mar 9, 2018 – President

Thank you for submitting your feedback, we’re disappointed to hear that you were so unhappy while you were with us. It is discouraging that you did not feel supported by your management or HR teams... More

"Great Place To Start a Career... Negative Comments seem like Sour Grapes"

I have been working at Belami full-time

Pros

I haven't experienced anything like what some people have said- but I have seen people who don't fit in because this company doesn't settle. They want to find people who want to be here and so I guess that leads to sour grapes for some.
    Here is what I've seen

-Managers will take the time to develop you if you are invested in yourself
    -Pay for Sales Associates in particular is good for the goals they have
    -Flexible OT policy. Really no limit.
    -People are cool
    -Not just a job. You cannot just "punch a clock" here and I like that

Cons

-Wish we didn't have to work weekends
    -Have to work around most holidays, and on many holidays
    -Feels like you have to grind through your whole shift. (I make sure to take my breaks)

Advice to Management

Try not to let bad months impact morale. Its obvious when things are not going well because all the managers look stressed out and that trickles down. Or at least it seems that way. Even though some of them try hard to hide it

Oct 27, 2017 – President

Thank you so much for your review! At Belami, the opportunities for growth really are endless if you are willing to work hard, and we are so glad you have recognized that. We definitely encourage you... More

6. "Worth the investment"

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Belami full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for driven individuals is endless. You get out of this job what you put in. If you're willing to invest your time in learning more, you can do anything within the company. And the company will support you along the way.

Cons

Expectations are high within the company, many departments are goal driven and fast paced. It's not an environment that everyone will fit into or feel comfortable in.

Advice to Management

Continue with the internal training programs and forums. Continue with the quarterly activities. Consider improving visibility on open opportunities within the company - job listing board on Confluence and what the requirements are for those roles so employees know and can work towards movement if desired.

Oct 27, 2017 – President

We really appreciate your feedback and are so honored that you have made the investment in your personal and professional growth these last 10+ years with Belami. That type of growth and tenure is... More

"Not worth the negatives."

I worked at Belami full-time

Pros

Casual atmosphere
    Good benefits
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Expected to work overtime, weekends, and holidays. Can be fired for any reason they deem acceptable, then will make it so you can’t get unemployment.

Advice to Management

Good employees don’t lose morale because of the job, it’s bad mamnagement that causes fast turnover.

Nov 27, 2017 – President

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our casual atmosphere, the benefits we offer, and our great team members as much as we do.

Being in the ecommerce... More

"This place isn't a pot of gold, it's a pile of ****"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Belami full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and benefits, including lots of freebies and work perks. Cool company events.

Cons

Everyone is a hypocrite and they gossip a lot. Most of the women I work with have really disgusting personalities. Managers are hypocrites and are unethical, which is the complete opposite of their core values. The only people who really keep to themselves are the men...

Advice to Management

Have better training and stop bad mouthing your customers. It's negative and makes coming to work depressing and MISERABLE!!!!
    If it wasn't for my family, I wouldn't be here.

Oct 27, 2017 – President

Thank you for taking the time to review our company on Glassdoor. While we are thrilled that you find our pay, benefits, company events and other work perks are a plus, we are extremely concerned... More

"Mentally Challenging"

Current Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Belami full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment- Tshirts and shorts!
    Lots of opportunity for those that are willing to work hard, but expectations are pretty high.

Cons

Definitely not a 9 to 5 type place. Sometimes have to work weekends and after hours.
    Change is constant here. Many projects going at at the same time.

10. "Marketing Analyst"

I worked at Belami full-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Great place to start your career

Cons

-Uninspiring coworkers
    -Not a lot of collaboration in the company