Belcan Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Belcan CEO Lance H. Kwasniewski
Lance H. Kwasniewski

Pros
Cons
  • Little to no career advancement (in 8 reviews)

• This is a low cost outsourcing operation also means low pay, minimally challenging work (in 14 reviews)

"Good Work Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Controls Systems Engineer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Controls Systems Engineer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Belcan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low Stress, flexible hours, lots of overtime if you want.

Cons

Pay is a little lower than other companies. Overtime is straight time, not time and a half.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to be a little more competitive with other companies. Belcan is seen as a stepping stone, but still has good jobs. I would recommend this job to someone who either wants to wind down a little or to someone with not much job experience.

"Good company, good people"

Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Belcan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I felt as though my work was valued there. Even when business is slow, they tend to hold onto employees as long as they can. Got some decent raises, when business was good, at least. The management is fair and the schedule is pretty flexible.

Cons

Sometimes, when the clients aren't providing enough business, raises can be a bit hard to come by, and there is an occcasional risk of layoffs if it's bad enough. They are trying to expand their business though, so that they're not as dependent on just a few big clients.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to get new clients.

"Great Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Control Systems Engineer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Control Systems Engineer in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Belcan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- They hire you with little or no experience
    - Work/life balance and flexibility is really amazing. Come and go as you please and get paid for the hours you work. You want to go to the beach but the weekend looks like bad weather? Go to the beach on Friday and make up the time over the weekend!
    - VERY low stress job

Cons

- Customer only outsources low-level tedious tasks to Belcan; the customer keeps high-level lead positions internal, so there is no room for professional growth
    - Does not feel like a team - feels like a bunch of individual workers
    - Lance (CEO) makes it very clear in his actions that the employees are not valued or respected, and that they are merely sources of income that could be easily replaced. The founder of Belcan (Ralph Anderson) truly valued his employees, and would take time out of his day while visiting other offices to go around, introduce himself, and genuinely take an interest in his employees. Lance walks around the office strictly to get to his meeting.

Advice to Management

- Do something about Lance, he is killing employee morale (speaking from experience after talking to ~40 employees). While he may be a great CEO business-wise, he is a terrible CEO employee-wise.
    - Belcan is seen as a job for "newly weds and nearly deads". Work more on employee retention by offering career paths and more challenging assignments. I left because there was no career path and the work was boring and tedious.
    - Salary and compensation is good, but not great. Flexibility is the key to keeping people around. If you get rid of this, your turnover will increase greatly.

"Configuration Analyst/Supplier Data Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Belcan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All Benefits were pretty good

Cons

Not a lot of career advancement opportunities, however this location is a contract company and they did strive to keep existing positions open for each employee

6. "Team Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Belcan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. Excellent pay to stress ratio. Good place to start career and learn the ropes.

Cons

As a contractor most of the work consists of the tedious tasks that the lead engineers simply don't want to do. Very little room for upward mobility, to advance you'll have to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Try and acquire more challenging work for employees. Be more aggressive with respect to acquiring contracts from new companies in different industries instead of relying on consistent work from the same few.

"Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Maryland Heights, MO

I have been working at Belcan (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and opportunity to learn from the roll your in.

Cons

Poor benefits and no opportunity for career growth.

"Good overall contract engineering company, experience may vary"

Former Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Belcan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides engineering contract services to a wide range of companies in various industries. So each location will typically be servicing it's local major customer. I worked in the headquarters at Cincinnati, OH. They had the largest number of sections, but my section mainly supported GE Aviation. The work was interesting to me. Even though the projects I worked on were small parts of a much larger engine program, the variety of projects meant that I could learn a little bit about many parts of the engine. It might be frustrating for some, but I thought it was a great opportunity to work along side experienced engineers (as team mates and customers) with such a broad range of disciplines.

At times the leadership seemed sluggish to react to changing business environments and opportunities, but the managers overall were good people. Things get tough when the main customer goes through a downturn, since their business is very much reliant on their customer's business.

Cons

There can sometimes be a reactive attitude towards employee training, which can hurt younger engineers without the proper attitude and ownership of their careers. The nature of contract work means that workload varies from quarter to quarter, but that is not always a bad thing if people can take advantage of it and use it as development time. I find that more resilient and entrepreneurial engineers do better in this type of environment.

Advice to Management

Some program managers and sections seem to rely too much on the experienced leaders to develop connections and bring in work. They sometimes forget to encourage the younger engineers and others doing the work to advocate for the company's services. In the end, excellent engineering work brings in more work, but those engineers sometimes aren't provided the tools and knowledge to be able to try to start new contracts.

9. "Same as any other temp agency"

Current Contractor - Product Supply/Supply Chain in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Contractor - Product Supply/Supply Chain in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Belcan as a contractor

Pros

This is a temp agency and I have been a contractor with the same company for around 4 years. The only Pros I can think of is I receive a paycheck every week.

Cons

The time off benefits are not provided by Belcan they are determined by the contract they have with the organization you are placed with.
    No career advancement. No room for growth. I don't think they advocate much for the contractors they employ I think they are more customer focused, which is understandable.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Review of Belcan"

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Belcan (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for with good benefits

Cons

Jobs are dependent on length of contracts

Advice to Management

Keep on putting employees first

"Basic Review"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Belcan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits, flex time.

Cons

Not much holiday pay days.