Belcan Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Engineer

Create your profile to get personalized information

Belcan Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Jan 15, 2020

2.9
Belcan CEO Lance H. Kwasniewski
Lance H. Kwasniewski
  1. "Relaxed Environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours Great coworkers Relaxed local management

Cons

Upper management (satellite offices) Deadtime Work can be pretty boring

Belcan2019-08-03
  2. "Easy In, Easy Out"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very easy and quick to get hired - Generally the people there are very kind and helpful

Cons

- Lots of turnover and job churn - The above makes it easy to suddenly lose your point of contact, forcing you to figure it out - They typically only offer contract jobs, with a pay cut due to recruitment fees

Advice to Management

Make sure that you notify your employees before they lose their point of contact, and investigate why so many of your employees are leaving.

Belcan2020-01-15
  3. "Relaxed but nothing special"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Riviera Beach, FL

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexible work hours m

Cons

Non competitive pay, mediocre benefits

Belcan2019-11-01
  4. "First step into a career"

Former Employee - Software Control Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and improve Simulink skills.

Cons

You will not learn much. Just to fill your resume with relevant experience

Advice to Management

You need to invest in training your employees and not treat them like hamsters on wheels. Even employees that had been there for over 5 years don't know how to perform the tasks 100 percent.

Belcan2019-11-05
  5. "Solid company Good Job Security"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* Flexible hours and great coworkers * WPB office is new and above average work environment * Generally lower stress work with occasional technical challenges *decent benefits *good company spirit *great first job

Cons

*lower than average salaries * little upward advancement opportunities *lower than average opportunities for skill development

Advice to Management

*find a way to improve retention of highly skilled workers * initiate profit sharing with high performers

Belcan2019-05-30
  6. "A Laid Back , Average Start to Someone's Career"

Current Employee - Software Verification Engineer in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

-laid back environment -easy work -friendly co workers -work life balance is insanely good

Cons

-work environment can be a little too laid back -pay (fair for the type of work you do but for someone looking for hire pay and extensive amount of work, this might not be the place) -career progression

Advice to Management

make sure to treat the people that work hard well.

Belcan2019-01-24

"Greedy corporate culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rockford, IL

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Only real advantage of working for belcan is that you don't actually work for belcan. They'll set you up on benefits and do some initial training that isn't job-specific. After that you basically work for the customer they assign you to.

Cons

100% markup on what you make. Once I found out that corporate was charging twice my hourly rate to the customer I decided to look elsewhere for employment. Corporate sends out these initiatives claiming that they are people first but when you are essentially charging double what I make for my time you are obviously not putting your people first. Corporate is also really pushing for everybody to work at the new belcan facility which is off site from their main customer in Rockford. This is so they can charge more for the time each employee bills to the customer. The facility that they are attempting to get everybody to move into is very subpar. There are major AC and heating issues. I myself have never worked at the belcan location but from what I've heard HR and the site lead have been made aware of the facility issue several times. Another major issue I had with belcan was the lack of Employee Engagement. Their idea of Employee Engagement is sending out emails about ridiculous days like yo-yo day and such. But there was never any initiative to bring us together as a team. I would avoid Rockford belcan at all costs. Aside from their ridiculous and greedy 100% markup on their employees they are not growing and are losing contracts left and right to other Contracting firms that are more willing to provide higher wages and better working conditions. They will attempt to entice new grads to work for them by saying it's a good a good way to learn new skills but when your place with the customer you will essentially be doing the work of an intern with no hope of advancing your career in any way.

Advice to Management

Hire a site lead with actual technical expertise or someone who is actually build to the customer in the past.

Belcan2018-07-09
  8. "I like the laid back flexible environment"

Current Employee - Systems Software Engineer in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible environment that offers full benefits and increased job security, moving you to another contract when work slows down if possible.

Cons

Not challenging. Most, if not all, of the people that work here could do their jobs with their eyes closed.

Advice to Management

Push to get more challenging contests and diversify your clients

Belcan2018-01-22

"A Good Place to Start"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Belcan business model provides some degree of job security in a temporary contract-based industries. Projects start and end. If you go contract-based (by that I mean not working at Belcan) you'll likely get paid more. If you work for Belcan, you can be easily moved to projects based on need. This means that if you establish yourself as a good worker who can deliver, they'll be sure to keep you around which means you're not always looking for the next contract. You also get the typical 401k, etc. Your experience will depend heavily on your project, your manager, etc so it's hard to make blanket statements. For me, it was a good opportunity to get some experience after my undergrad and take a breather after being utterly burnt out from school. I worked hard, asked good questions, and made a contribution. My experience there was a springboard into grad school.

Cons

It may not be the best long-term career path, but again, that will likely depend on the project you are on. The benefits when I was there were pretty standard, nothing to write home about, but enough to be grateful for. The 401k matching was below what you would expect, but I don't recall the details.

Belcan2017-10-14
  10. "Good Place if you need money quick"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer

I worked at Belcan

Pros

HR was very on the ball with helping me through every question I had. Very nice people to interact with

Cons

401k match is very low Not alot of paid holidays When your contract is up/gets cut, they throw you to the ground.

Belcan2017-06-20