Belcan Technical Recruiter Reviews | Glassdoor

Lance H. Kwasniewski
  1. "Sr. Recruiter"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

None. I have no cons to add

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Belcan2017-05-03

"Good entry level role, awful experience in my particular office."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will learn the ropes quickly with a fast paced staffing environment.

Cons

Low pay, always micromanaged, no flexibility in schedule. It felt as though you were not treated as an adult, letting management know you are going to the bathroom seems excessive. Taking lunch at 10:30 vs 11 seemed to be a big problem. It was a very weird environment that ended up being extremely toxic.

Belcan2019-09-09
  3. "Raleigh Office"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Belcan full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for those who put in the effort. Managing Director, Jeff Ross is excellent and motivating his staff and driving the Purpose and Principles forward. "People First. Performance Driven. Passion with Purpose."

Cons

Cons are subjective. Nice location with good people. (FYI: this is about a 10 person team if you prefer working with larger team environments.)

Advice to Management

Keep the "Learning and Development" aspect of Belcan a priority. "If we don't grow, we stagnate."

Belcan2018-10-09

"It was ok"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You aren't micromanaged at all so you can do things your own way.

Cons

The pay is low and some of the managers are out of touch with employees

Advice to Management

Include everyone in the incentive contests run by corporate instead of just some offices.

Belcan2018-09-18

"Careful Consideration"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Belcan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to start learning how to recruit and great stepping stone in your career. They give a lot of chances to new recruiters and are open minded regarding education level, previous employment/experience as well as other factors. You will get thrown in and cross trained on a lot of different things and quickly since the teams are so small, but I saw this as a very positive learning experience. At times, it could be frustrating as well, especially when you need to focus on metrics and numbers to keep your own performance up.

Cons

The company structure is changing so it feels very disorganized. Different processes that should be streamlined are not and even things like payroll for contractors is often an issue and must be dealt with weekly. The offices are all very small so it is very hard to have a strong company culture. Most team members are not close in comparison to what you would experience with a larger company. Executive management was okay but did micromanage their direct reports who would turn around and micromanage the office. At times, passive aggressive communication was used rather than a respectful conversation which created a very unhealthy environment to work in. I do not do well with a micromanaged environment because I set standards and high goals for myself and do everything in my power to exceed them. The constant monitoring and checking in feels very exhausting and almost insulting, especially when you are performing exceptionally. Work life balance is not valued and it is expected to stay later than scheduled hours. Unfortunately, it was frowned upon to leave at 5 PM. Since recruiters work on commission, it makes sense that you would want to put extra time in to ramp up quicker, however, that should always be to the discretion of the individual. When sick, the option was not allowed to work from home so you were required to use PTO (which was minimal to standard among other organizations that I have seen). Since we can do our job from anywhere as long as we have WiFi, I never understood the issues that Belcan had with being flexible with their employees. It is very apparent, because of metrics, who is doing their job and who is not. To be under constant supervision felt very high-school and I did not feel respected as an adult who was able to successfully manage their own time. There is no flex time, which is okay, except when that rule does not apply to people with children. I understand that there are many issues that come up when you have a family at home, but to not allow the same flexibility with other employees seems very strange and inconsistent. Due to changes in reviews, the official review occurred 6 months later than it should have been. Also, raises were not given to those who were top performers, which was very strange. Conversations about that were scoffed at. If you want a raise, "put someone to work", which is true to an extent, but showing appreciation goes a long way. Belcan is very old school and does not think progressively. It is just something to keep in mind when choosing a company that is a good fit for you culturally.

Advice to Management

I would try to be more forward thinking and progressive. Allow people to work from home occasionally or have flex time. The numbers will show if someone is slacking or working hard. Allow people to maintain that balance so they have more energy and excitement to give back to the company.

Belcan2018-03-02