Belcan "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Belcan Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 2 Aug 2019

3.2
Belcan CEO Lance H. Kwasniewski
Lance H. Kwasniewski
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay, always micromanaged, no flexibility in schedule(in 17 reviews)

• "Upper management (satellite offices)(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Relaxed Environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Hours Great coworkers Relaxed local management

Cons

Upper management (satellite offices) Deadtime Work can be pretty boring

Belcan2019-08-03

"Sales"

I worked at Belcan full-time

Pros

Owned by a large investment group that wants to grow it

Cons

Commission cuts out of the blue Layoffs Too hard on sales and too soft on recruiters Little direction from upper management They put the fun in dysfunctional Upper management is purely metrics driven

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and they will work harder. Much of the lack of communication does affect worker morale.

Belcan2017-11-15

"Relaxed enviornment, nice people. Good starting Job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job was mostly stress-free, and most of the managers there were happy to do transfers for people who weren't happy with their current position. I was able to work overtime whenever I needed a bit extra cash, which was probably the best compensation that Belcan provided

Cons

Lousy pay and benefits. Each person is merely a "head" that is paid to charge the clock, so sometimes individual successes can go unrewarded/compensated Current upper management seems disconnected and uncaring for the general worker, and some of the customers themselves can grind on morale. The "Butts in Seats" mentality runs wild here too since its a contracted company. Benefits are subpar and even working... towards higher education was very poorly rewarded. During my time there, the company also cut several "nice to have" commodities that you'd expect from a engineering source (free Coffee, smaller cubes, etc).

Advice to Management

Make us feel like you care. Let us have coffee. Provide more free lunches occasionally. Network with the local area and provide free or discounted services. Plan more community/networking events. All of these can make the job much more tolerable even without increasing pay

Belcan2017-05-10
  4. "Great Opportunities, Poor Advancement"

Current Employee - Project Engineer, Design Engineer, and Project Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for assignments in other locations. Up to you to find work and make a career.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company. Poor management in some locations. Upper management is disconnected with engineers. Out-sourcing has failed. Management created a sense of gloom. Poor work moral.

Advice to Management

Fire management who is only interested in bettering themselves and throwing employees under the bus. Fire management who would rather speak negatively about an employee openly in the office and to our customer instead of providing the right training. Provide training for new employees instead of throwing them to the sharks day 1. Stop out-sourcing. Once our customers realize it costs more, we will lose the... contracts. Improve office moral. Decrease overhead charges. Most projects went over budget because of insane overhead. Managers were charging projects they never touched. Decrease cost of benefits. Promote internally. Too many people hired from companies who are retired/laid off. They no longer have the drive that a younger engineer would.

Belcan2016-10-25

"Designer"

Designer in Bozeman, MT

I worked at Belcan

Pros

Good facility and introduction to design engineering. I was introduced to numerous companies and projects. I've created many long lasting relationships across the industry.

Cons

Low wages, always going from not enough work to more than can be handled, and there seems to be little regard from upper management towards the average employee.

Advice to Management

Would be great to see a way to recognise good performances inside of each office instead of company wide. Constantly telling your employees about the amount of profit the company made but never handing out a bonus of any sort is disheartening.

Belcan2016-08-24

"Belcan Engineering Group"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Belcan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good place for entry-level or younger engineers to build experience and use as a stepping-stone to better jobs. Decent flexibility regarding working hours.

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement. Pay levels and benefits, especially for senior technical people, are not competitive. Upper management is too short-sighted about retaining experienced talent, and treats staff too much as disposable assets / liabilities.

Advice to Management

Use more foresight / long-term view in preparing for and handling workload down-turns due to customers' business cycles. Don't lay off a bunch of people and then have to replace them a few months / a year later. Increase margins with customers to support this.

Belcan2016-07-21

"Ok for first job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Belcan full-time

Pros

Flex time...for now. There's rumors about going to shifts to increase profits. Decent/OK first job out of college. Managers are typically easy going and easy to talk to. Diverse field of employees. You can transfer to different groups to try different disciplines if you wish. You can't take your work home so it doesn't effect home life. They pay straight over time if your job has budget for... over time. Working just 40 hours isn't looked down upon. Atmosphere is relaxed. They give you 3 guaranteed sick days with a possible 5 max, but you have to petition for the other 2 days. Most people use the 3 sick days as vacation days because you only get 10 days vacation for the first 6 years of employment. They do allow you to buy an extra 5 days if you wish. You can also get small discounts for car purchases, cell phone service, etc.

Cons

Despite the propaganda from management that 95% are happy, people are far from happy. Wages are stagnant, well below the industry average, and some have even been reduced. No raises if you're well experienced, OK raises for inexperienced. No diversity in customers, so a very large percentage of work comes from only one customer, which has demanded that the rates that we charge them continues to decrease to... "low cost" levels, which affects the business model and the experience level of personnel. Belcan agrees to the continuing decreasing rates. You can't get and keep talented people if you're not willing to pay the price to get and keep them. There's no advancement opportunity at all unless you're upper management. Employee turn over is higher than it should be. Senior management has problems negotiating and being able to attain new customers. Recently hired senior staff tasked with attaining new customers have failed. Compensation both salary and benefits are below the average. Wages are low. Vacation days are low. You get 10 days only for the first 6 years. After 6 years you get 15 days. Health insurance costs are high. 401K matching is low. Training is minimal. We used to get "skip level" meetings with senior management, but we didn't get one this year. Information flow down is minimal.

Advice to Management

Many people give management advice, rate the company in an annual survey, identify pros and cons. They discount the cons, ignore the advice, and focus only on the pros. As a result the annual survey is looked upon as a joke.

Belcan2016-06-24

"No opportunity for growth, you just get the work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Belcan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers, good for entry level

Cons

Upper management is worthless, Upper management does not even know what we do for work. Dead end job. Lot of turn over(i.e. the older crowd is starting to retire and the younger crowd is looking for careers elsewhere). There are no promotions you just end up getting handed the extra work and expected to run the project team as well as get 40 hours of deliverables. The business may be growing but knowing where they... are heading I hope to find a new job before it gets there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they know more than you.

Belcan2014-05-11

"Under paid"

I worked at Belcan

Pros

The co-workers were great. Benefits were pretty good.

Cons

Low pay. Upper management needs to care more about their employees.

Belcan2013-03-06

"No opportunity for growth"

Design Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Belcan

Pros

The projects did have a level of complexity that challenged engineers intellectual capacities. P&G projects were the most interesting from a pure engineering standpoint.

Cons

Zero lack of accountability from upper management. Never accountability from the top down, where the decision making power rests, always from the bottom up.

Advice to Management

Try putting people before profits and see how that impacts the bottom line. Once upon a time loyalty was initially owned by the corporation which , in turn, fostered longevity from employees.

Belcan2011-11-29