Belden Reviews | Glassdoor

Belden Reviews

Updated August 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good history of producing good products and is presently divesting business (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance is good only because I make it so (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is what you make of it (in 5 reviews)

• I worked here for 16 years and this is a very hostile work environment (in 4 reviews)

1. "Business specialist"

I have been working at Belden (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Great leadership - opportunity to move in the company

Cons

Communication from upper management to employee

2. "Order Processor"

Pros

Not a hard job, can work overtime

Cons

Worked through a temporary contracting agency, no paid holidays, no vacation days, no double time for working Sunday

3. "Centralizing processes"

I have been working at Belden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management has a vision for growing a global environment. Team members have respect for each other and work well together.

Cons

Many changes with some what limited communication of the changes.

Advice to Management

Provide a high level road map to give employees a sense they are helping achieve goals.

"Ehh"

Former Employee - Extruder in Richmond, IN
    Former Employee - Extruder in Richmond, IN

Pros

The pros are great pay and benefits.

Cons

Lay offs when times are slow.

"Team morale and customers make it an enjoyable job"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Richmond, IN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Richmond, IN

I have been working at Belden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The laid back atmosphere and teamwork are some of the best reasons to come in everyday. Work is fast paced and challenging . Customer base and territories are vast and you get to develop relationships with them. Better benefits than most employers in our town . Good hours that let you manage work and home life balance.

Cons

No bonus or commission for inside sales, difficult to move departments . Enjoyment of your job seems to vary greatly by department . Very minimal pay raises. Always buying new companies and adding their product line to the job duties with no additional pay or workforce. Can be hard to keep up with.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge jobs well done, create incentive or bonus program for inside sales that would align with outside sales success since they work as a support team. Include random spots in the annual executive club trip that would reward blue collar workers too.

6. "Interview & Onboarding Process"

Pros

Although the interview process took about a month and 4-5 interviews, overall the process was very straightforward. The internal recruiting team within Belden did a great job of scheduling all of the interviews throughout the process, as well as prepare you for each step along the way. Since coming on board, everyone as been extremely supportive and available to answer questions or resolve any issues that have come up.

Cons

There are many internal web sites/resource data bases, that require login ID's and passwords, that at first seemed a little overwhelming. However, they become easier to navigate and understand after a few weeks of using them and becoming familiar on what they each have to offer.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Belden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4.5% Match on 401K with 100% vesting from day one.

Cons

Typical big company. Sales people are merely a number. Turnover is pretty high within the sales department which is never a good sign. Fear is used as a tactic to try and get sales people to sell more. Grow up management. That is old school thinking that doesn't motivate people.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty to your employees and they will remain loyal to you. Just because you finish down for a quarter doesn't mean you should fire a bunch of sales people that have been consistently successful in the past. I know it sucks when your stock takes a hit but due to your size you have to expect revenues to be cyclical to some point, just like our entire economy. Most investors don't know or care whether or not you fire sales people, so what is the point? Find other ways to make cuts. Finally, review the other comments on here about your organization. Many of them make the same points.

8. "Great Internship Program"

Former Employee - Finance Intern
    Former Employee - Finance Intern

Pros

The internship program is well developed. Interns are given multiple projects that make an impact on the company and are used even after the summer is over. They give you the opportunity to learn a lot and develop your skills both by working individually and interdependently. The horizontal structure gives you exposure to upper management as well.

Cons

None that I can think of

9. "Positive experience with Belden recruitment & interview process"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Belden (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive experience from my initial conversation with Shannon from Belden's in-house recruiting department, 2 1/2 week interview process, to the offer letter. Everyone I spoke with was very professional and upbeat about the company. I especially appreciated their honesty in presenting a realistic job description, including challenges. I encountered no bizarre/left field interview questions (I've heard my share) and upper management presented themselves as very down to earth, passionate for success/growth, but with realistic expectations.
    After completing my 1st week of onboarding and training, all is as expected, no surprises. I couldn't be more happy to be working for Belden, an industry leader.

Cons

Made a 9:30am appointment with Belden's designated pre-employment drug screening company, but unfortunately spent 2 plus hours in waiting room before I was seen due to "emergency" appointments that preceded my appointment, very frustrating. If this is a common occurrence then Belden needs to contract with another service provider.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in new product design/innovation. Product offerings like the EcoGen family will solidify print position and keep Alpha Wire

10. "Finance"

Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Belden (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience overall with impactful work

Cons

Not much training for required skills

Advice to Management

Interaction was poor