Belk Reviews | Glassdoor

1,279 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,279 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • No Work Life Balance end up working 70 hrs a week (in 44 reviews)

• Management doesn't care about you unless you're shoving a credit card application down someone's throat (in 64 reviews)

1. "Not so good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Belk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is easy to get a job at Belk.

Cons

Pay is low. Associates are not fun to work with. I think everyone is just miserable working there so they are just there to get their shift over with. Management is just as unhelpful as they can be. Almost every time I have paged a manager for help with a customer the response I received was, have you asked your manager? If my manager was available to ask I would have. Then the response is, I will see if I can find someone to help you.

Advice to Management

Realize what your job is. If an associate asks for help it is your job to help.

2. "Picker"

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at Belk (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and lots of seasonal overtime

Cons

Low wages, long hours, short lunches

Advice to Management

Do better and care more about employees

3. "2/5"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Belk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved getting to help people. Their success and happiness was my reward, and it was something I really, really strived for. On the sales end, it was fun interacting with different people everyday. This is a decent place for an extrovert.

Cons

The hours can be rough. The raises are a joke. Hard work isn't always rewarded. Promises can be empty or misleading.

Advice to Management

Have realistic expectations. Don't make demands to a machine when you don't understand how the machine works. Give your team the resources it needs. Drop your attitude, you're here to help people-- not sneer at them. Prioritize. Reward your hard workers. Hire for quality, not quantity. Lead by example, not by despotic demand. Stick to all the rules, not the ones you're comfortable with. Don't fake praise. Stop talking down to people. Don't stay silent when others are penalized for your mistake. Leave your personal prejudices at home.

5. "Family Driven"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Belk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are a great group of people. Work you hard but do care about you personally.

Cons

Work life balance. Typical Retail struggle.

Advice to Management

Better training for managers on communication.

"One of The Worst Jobs I've Ever Had!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Belk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is fairly competitive and the employee discount is generous.

Cons

The Belk family no longer run the company and that has been the downfall. The new owners care nothing about the employees and are only interested in cutting jobs so they can show a profit in order to resell the company again. Everyone is in fear of losing their job because they have made it known more cuts are coming in January. They have also cut the amount of paid time off. I don't recommend working for Belk at all.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees!

"Terrible management"

Former Employee - Operations Team Associate in Centerville, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Team Associate in Centerville, GA

I worked at Belk part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and double discount day

Cons

Operations manager. The way our store operated would not work in most stores. Honestly, it's a laughing stock and the operations manager has no idea what he's doing. We clearly didn't have enough people during the holidays and the receiving room always looks like crap. We have a conveyor belk upstairs that hasn't been used in years that had a bunch of junk on it until someone was hired to clear the place up and yet we still don't use it?! Nonetheless, we have 3 people pushing a line and unloading a truck on a small belt. It's an absolute joke. The manager also has us working the floor sometimes without any sort of objective. More than half the time, no one even knows until I let my presence known. Not to mention, the manager likes to call employees on their day off and constantly asks us to come in at a different time. Lastly, I've asked the manager at one point that I prefer to work early on the floor and ironically, the next week, I get put on the floor in the afternoon as far as past midnight for an entire week which I've had to do in the past.

Advice to Management

Have a plan and actually fix problems. Step into the shoes of your current employees instead of hoping things work out in the end.

I have no issues with the other managers. They're great people and appear to actually care for their employees. I can't say the same for the operations team manager. He doesn't even appear to even want to work at Belk anymore as well.

8. "Belk Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conyers, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Conyers, GA

Pros

Discount, Meet New People, Discount, Sales

Cons

No Hours, Rude Customers, No Hours

"anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnson City, TN

I worked at Belk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts, fellow associates were great, and loved their jobs for the most part. The customers were also fun, they loved Belk, when there was enough associates around to help.

Cons

Having to constantly bother customers for email, phone numbers, credit apps, and also donations. Many customers were already repeat customers that were annoyed with it. Morning meetings were more about how we were not meeting goals, instead of trying to make us upbeat. The manager used to repeatedly say, it was not our name on the building, when it is, than you can change the rules. Part timers became almost no timers after Christmas, but you had to stick with their hours, and not get another part time job, because as a part time employee you could not ask for specific days unless you were in school. The manager also always wanted us to work bell to bell and then way past, whenever corporate was coming, then sometimes they did not even show. This left us with our key people having to be off the rest of the week because of hours. We were always left short handed with large inventory to go out.

Advice to Management

Remember retail is about your customers, not bottom dollar! Stick to surprise visits, you learn a lot more about a store and its employees better that way, arranged visits only makes a store look good, when in all actuality, it probably is not.

"Accounting Manager - Charlotte HQ"

Former Employee - Accounting in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Accounting in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Overall great people at Belk
    Involved with the internal and external communiities
    Great facilities
    Definitely headed in new direction, time will tell which way

Cons

Highly political
    Owned by Private Equity and seams short sited
    Continuing education and development average at best
    Overall, poor communication of goals, strategies, direction

Advice to Management

Take more time to know who works for you
    Figure out who are the do'ers and the non do'ers and address

11. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Easley, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Easley, SC

I worked at Belk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discounts, friendly associates for the most part.

Cons

Not given the pay and position per your experience, promotions are based on how much you suck up to upper management and not on education and experience. Unfair pay you cannot servive on.

Advice to Management

Stop trating your employees like their your children and promoting them without deserving a title. Thats what others put in thousands of dollars in education and/ or years of experence for advancement. And then lie and black ball someone career when you get found out! Here you go unprofessionals without education are the ones who maintain behaaviour like this.. Shame, we know who you are tho dont we?

Showing 1,279 of 1,297 reviews