Bell Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2017

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Clinton J. Coleman

1. "Good place to get experience and network yourself but not permanent."

Former Employee - Apple Certified Field Service Tech in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Apple Certified Field Service Tech in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Bell Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a contractor. As such, your employment is reliant on the terms of the contract you are hired to fulfill. This means that once that contract ends your continuation of employment is limited to your flexibility. If there is nothing else for you to move into in your area, you have to relocate or seek employment elsewhere. This is standard to the this type of business. As such, it is a great opportunity to establish contacts in the field and to learn or get experience in a trade but the employee must keep in mind that their position is not exactly permanent. Bell will pay for your certifications if they are required to do your job. A plus when you consider that CompTIA A+ is around $200.00 at the moment!

Cons

I say it can be ok depending on your position because I have read many reviews here in Glassdoor that make me think that some other employees haven't had the experience that I've had and I think it has to do with the location I was at. In our office, everybody got along, we had a very supportive and detail oriented manager and projects got done well and on time. But I have read and even heard some horror stories regarding other offices. There seems to be a tendency for this type of business to regard the employee as an "asset" and overlook the human aspect. Since the employee is hired to fill a specific contract, salaries tend to remain fixed unless the engagement is long term. Some people might see this as a negative. I must add that once I upgraded my certifications and moved to a different contract I did see a salary increase.

Advice to Management

Our office closed this past September. Understandably so as the volume was not there to support it. I hope, however, that this isn't indicative of a larger issue and that the company prevails. Some of your managers can be short-sighted but it's not worse than most other companies these days.

2. "Good company to get some experience."

Former Employee - Repair Tech in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Repair Tech in Plainfield, IN

I worked at Bell Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to start and get some experience. Good work environment. Co-workers and management were for the most part friendly. Good benefits.

Cons

Little to no pay increase.

3. "Can it get any worse?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Bell Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lower level team member are great to work with. I wish I was able to say something more positive, but the high churn rate is proof that there are changes that need to be made.

Cons

No personal growth, low pay, standard benefits. They have a 401k but the company doesn't contribute much, and at one time stopped making contributions, you could probably due just as well with an IRA.

Advice to Management

Get a clue clean the house.

4. "Good place to start but not so great to finish."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Excellent culture and atmosphere, great mid level management, good autonomy if one works with reasonable insurance and the best HR staff I have ever worked with.

Cons

Below standard pay rates, diminished benifits, company has not given raises for cost of living in years and does poorly on discovery which leads to less than profitable engagements.

Advice to Management

Invest in the business at least to a degree that generates success instead of saving dimes now to lose dollars later.

5. "Pay increases are sad. It takes forever to top out with your pay. Needs to be better raises. Better insurance."

Current Employee - Tech Support in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Plainfield, IN

Pros

It is a very diverse work place. You have people there from all over the world. You learn a lot about other cultures. The people there are all very nice and get along for the most part as far as the employees. Management is pretty nice for the most part. The work schedules are great! 4 10hr shifts or 5 8 hr shifts. Hardly ever any over time. No weekends or holidays. Day shift only. Very good for someone with small kids. All the benefits are pretty good. Sick pay, vacation and holidays.

Cons

The insurance is way too expensive! I pay the same for my spouse and 1 child as my coworkers pay for their spouse and their 3 or more kids. I think that is highway robbery. Especially when I make the same or less than they do. Some supervisors and or team leads do not show respect to the employees, they don't know how to talk to people. Management doesn't always treat people fairly. The pay is sad. It takes for ever to make top wage. It is merit raises but even with the best employee it takes for ever! You only get one review a year and lucky if you get a raise then. You get paid by weekly and 1/3 of my paycheck goes to pay for my health and dental insurance. I am thankful to have the insurance still yet but it needs to be better for what I have to pay for it!

Advice to Management

Have the mangers, supervisors and team leads take training on how to get along with associates, and employees. Have a peer review team. Check into better insurance. Give better raises.

6. "Total fustration"

I worked at Bell Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers who give their very best and some who give their best to try provide leadership and moral character.

Cons

Top to bottom in every facet there is room for major improvement. You pick a category and its a fail. The issues are many could write a book if so desired.

Advice to Management

Listen and practice what you preach, honesty is still the best policy.

7. "Pleasent coworker who are great supporting one another in efforts to get the mission accomplished."

Pros

It located close to home and the Fashion Mall and fitness center are located right next door.
    Building has a wonderful of the entire city.

Cons

Being on the top floor of the building makes it a royal pain when they are conducting fire drills 17 flights down to the ground.

Advice to Management

it may be time to start contributing to the employee 401K and offering more oprtunities for training or remebursment for those taking job related courses.