Bell Nursery Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Gary Mangum

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Merchandisor"

Pros

Great working conditions. Sunshine and outdoors.

Cons

Not enough hours and season can be cut short

2. "Garden Center Merchandiser"

I worked at Bell Nursery part-time

Pros

Loads of fun, exercise, and sunshine. The duties of the job never get boring and most customers are extremely happy to speak to you.

Cons

Some impatient customers who do not listen, lulls of varying degrees most days

Advice to Management

Warn people when their season will be cut! Hard to plan ahead without this.

3. "Seasonal Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Bell Nursery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plants appreciate you 😉, most customers are VERY appreciative, lots of exercise, decent tan, learning experience

Cons

Sometimes physical work expected is little too demanding for the low pay, supervisor was condescending towards myself on several occasions especially after I opened up and was honest about my then current financial and health situation and I was terminated after dedicating two seasons with Bell about 2 weeks after communicating with her😥🤔🤔😉 She was NOT NICE TO other Bell employees and EXTREMELY RUDE TO CUSTOMERS because "That's NOT HER JOB". The home depot employees NEVER watered correctly. Personally I felt TERRIBLE being a contributory of the company's wastefulness. We are struito just throw plants that could be saved AND vegetable plants especially THAT COULD OF provideD produce to LOCAL CHARITIES and to the needy. IT IS PROHIBITED TO TAKE ANY HOME GOING INTO TRASH COMPACTOR!!! MY paycheck was "LOST " twice my first year and THREE times my SECOND year(was eventually paid but 2 to 6 days later. OVERTIME OR MAKING 40HRS IS A BIG NO NO....We got chastised by supervisor for staying to assist other Bell employees or complete the tasks within the 4 or 5 hr expected shift. Really inconsistant support with merchandising or placing new inventory onto the floor when store was in disarray several times. You get chastised for being too dedicated so just DO NOT give this company your "All" because really in the end all you do is hurt yourself you ARE NOT AS APPRICIATED AS THE PHONY MANAGEMENT claims you are to your face.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees that are sick or disabled in ANY way and hire better payroll employees . Maybe consider giving back to the community instead of throwing plants in trash. Allow your hard working merchandising employees a free plant here and there. I know for a fact none of the higher ups report to work.without lunch or food in their bellies like some of the grunt employees do.

4. "Very enjoyable work, but possibility of termination hangs over your head each day"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Washington, DC

I worked at Bell Nursery part-time

Pros

This was really an enjoyable experience and great job except for being terminated with 45 minutes notice before the end of my shift, not even half way through the season that was described in my interview.

The work is physically demanding and there is always something that needs to be done. Get to work with lovely plants and you develop a good working relationship with the Home Depot staff and Managers. The HD staff really appreciates you being there because you can help many of the customers with plant selection, plant care instructions and gardening tips. It is great to be outdoors most of the time in all kinds of weather. The only time you are inside is to care for and maintain house plant displays and set up holiday displays for Easter etc.

The Bell supervisor assigned to my store was great and encouraged me and other employees to make the place look great and would give constructive criticism when needed, but was always nice about it. District Managers were also nice and helpful and would stop by sometimes.

Cons

The worst part about the job is trying to get Home Depot staff to water plants. They are responsible for this, but had to be asked almost every day. If the Home Depot staff member told you they were too busy to water, then you had to go the store manager or asst. manager to have them assign someone which seemed to cause resentment. They would sometimes do a good thorough job watering, but most of the HD staff did a terrible job of watering and would miss many plants and on some days no watering took place and when you came in entire sections of plants were bone dry and plants wilting. After this would happen over and over, the plants would become unsalable and have to be thrown away.

Bell is very stingy about assigning enough hours to get the work done. You hustle the few hour you are there, but then leave a lot of work left undone.

I came into this job knowing my position was seasonal, but feel really mislead by the length of the season described during my interview. I was told that the busy season would be April- June, which it was, and that during the summer my hours would be reduced and then increased slightly for the fall and would end at the end of October after Mum season. This was reiterated this with me in person at the end of June, but a few days later I was terminated with hardly any notice and no explanation.

I had other co-workers that were treated the same way and were terminated, even though they did a good job, only a few weeks into the season.

Advice to Management

Give up on trying to get Home Staff to be responsible for watering. Bell should hire and assign watering crews to go around to various stores to do this.

Be sure to give as much notice as possible and an explanation when terminating employees.

Be honest when describing length of season to potential hires.

5. "Regional Manager"

Pros

flexibility, solid company to work for

Cons

compensation packages need to be balanced better with experience

6. "Great company"

I have been working at Bell Nursery (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company fair bosses great colleagues

Cons

Small company so limited room for growth after middle management

"Seasonal Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bell Nursery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with plants all day
    Enjoyed working with the HD employees
    Getting to know all the different plants was fun and exciting.

Cons

Getting HomeDepot to water the plants.

Negative attitudes and inability to properly communicate from managers to seasonal associates.

No positive outlook from management. Seem to just be "going through the motions".

Advice to Management

Try NOT speaking to new employees as if they have worked for the company as long as you have. Talk to the associates, not at them.

8. "Grow skill set"

Current Employee - Store Supervisor
    Current Employee - Store Supervisor

I have been working at Bell Nursery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has helped increase skill set.

Cons

Adaptability to lots of change is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Time management a must.

"All about the money not a care in the world for the plants."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bell Nursery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of exercise, no need to hit the gym afterwards.

Cons

Low pay for management duties, barely any training. You have to learn as you go, they expect you to throw away living plants because they don't have flowers on them, instead of marking them down. Tons of waste, the dirt, pots or flowers could still be used but since the company gets full credit for them who cares about the environment. Co-workers are lazy and don't do their part of the work, your expected to unload the trucks by yourself, home depot never helps and they hate watering the plants which is why Bell gets full credit if any dies. If you want a manager, pay the correct wage for management duties an employee will be doing.

Advice to Management

Train new employees before they start working on the floor, that way other employees won't be speaking ill of the new hires and quit when they've had enough. New hires shouldn't be left to work alone until at least two weeks into the job. and given no notice they have to unload a truck by themselves, communicate with your employees otherwise you will continue to struggle without any. Try to donate or mark down plants, the company deeds not blooming but not dead. Have a supervisor or team lead their at all times and not just a new hire who still doesn't know the ropes. Have seasoned employees show up to work on time

10. "merchandiser"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

Pros

My manager was awesome. Flexible w schedule sometimes. You get to enjoy outdoors and stay physical.

Cons

No benefits. Hours change. Having to work with home depot to get them to water product