Bell Nursery Seasonal Merchandiser Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "I loved my Job"

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Garner, NC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Garner, NC

I worked at Bell Nursery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being Independent.....working hard and feeling good about it.....Taking care of plants is very rewarding....

Cons

Some Home depot employees are very rude to you and there is always tension about watering. They feel you should be doing the watering and do not understand it is not your job it is there job to water during high peak season.
    I worked very hard for this company and knew it was a Seasonal job. I was told I would work in the fall with not as many hours. But after numerous calls of my schedule I was finally told they had to cut me out in the fall. After working soo very hard for them this was very disappointing. You work in the heat in the rain and you will go thru a few pairs a sneakers. It is very physical on your body. alot of lifting and pulling....

Advice to Management

Keep your good employees even if it means just a few hours a week for them.....and then they may return in the spring.

"Seasonal Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bell Nursery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with plants all day
    Enjoyed working with the HD employees
    Getting to know all the different plants was fun and exciting.

Cons

Getting HomeDepot to water the plants.

Negative attitudes and inability to properly communicate from managers to seasonal associates.

No positive outlook from management. Seem to just be "going through the motions".

Advice to Management

Try NOT speaking to new employees as if they have worked for the company as long as you have. Talk to the associates, not at them.

"Rushed, excess waste, no time for customers."

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at Bell Nursery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pro's short seasons. Not obligated to return.

Cons

No benefits available-will deliberately keep you under 40 hours so your not offered benefits. Low hourly rate for very demanding work *physically and mentally). Not enough knowledgeable people to help customers. Excess waste! Forced to log out for lunch rather than work thru so no ot.

Advice to Management

Instead of tossing merchandise into dumpsters or reducing to obscene amount, have "discount" section that is available at competitor's like Lowe's and Walmart! Also, when you are able to have employee's return for fall or 2nd year-give them more $$, recognize and appreciate them. Promote from within.

5. "Fine for short-term"

Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Durham, NC

I have been working at Bell Nursery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for students, people who enjoy seasonal work, and for those who enjoy plants and being outside. The management is mostly flexible regarding work schedules. It is a good job for bridging the gap between career jobs.

Cons

The pay is low, and hours are kept to a minimum so that employees are not considered full-time. There are no benefits other than having a job.

"Not all what you think it is"

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bell Nursery (More than a year)

Pros

You get to be outside and get to keep moving.

Cons

Not enough staff when needed. Expect entirely way too much when not enough staff. Some management is verbally abusive. Management talking about merchandisers to other management. Way too much gossip.

Advice to Management

Train management on communication. Ask current staff their opinions. Not a lot of respect. You would get more out of your staff if there as more respect.

"Fun outdoor job. Learning ornamental flora and customer service"

Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Ocean City, MD
    Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Ocean City, MD

I have been working at Bell Nursery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working outdoors (when the weather is good), learning plant species, independent-style job

Cons

Working outside (when the weather is poor), limited employment season, dysfunctional corporate hierarchy

"Seems warm and fuzzy when you first start then its down hill as season progresses."

Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bell Nursery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product is beautiful and Home Depot is wonderful partners! Learning about flowers and shrubs very satisfying Customers are usually pleasant to work with.

Cons

Senior management expectations very high and can be very hard to live up to in the allotted time given. One district manager in Philly particular difficult to work with. Lots of finger pointing, gossiping and back stabbing from management. High turn over in all personal.

Advice to Management

Many people have complained about managements lack of people skills but always lands on deaf ears.

9. "Some good, some bad"

Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser

Pros

Some of the people I met working at Bell were great. They taught me a lot of things about an industry I had no interest in.

Cons

Dealing with management and supervisors was an absolute pain. We had our main supervisor who would come by our store one to three times a month on average although there would be times when it was far more frequent. Our main supervisor would tell us to do it one way, then when a different supervisor came they had their own way of doing things. We were constantly getting conflicting instructions and receiving shipments for product we didn't need.

Advice to Management

With how many years you have been selling plants, you should know near the exact amount of each plant needed at each store and their should be little to no waste. Use your information correctly and stop wasting your in store employees time!

10. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser

I have been working at Bell Nursery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best is the fresh air, exercise, and social interaction you get. Independent working mostly and flexibility. :) Have not been yelled at for being newbie like and making dumb mistakes.

Cons

Not enough training into the design and care and feeding of plants.

Advice to Management

Train people and train the depot how to water. Maybe a better way to print labels, make your own? Tagging takes a long time, finding a printer that works, scanner, etc.

11. "Decent when you are in a pinch"

Current Employee - Seasonal Merchandiser

I have been working at Bell Nursery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work outside,flexible schedule, usually decent people to work with

Cons

Crazy management, Never know when the chopping block is coming for you but you always know its coming, it gets hot, having to constantly say that you dont work for home depot, if your seasonal you have .001% chance to move up to full time

Advice to Management

Have a possibility for advancement. and not hire so many people if your going to cut them all half way into the season, bump the pay up and cut the starting hire requirement each season from 700 to how many you actually want to keep by the start of august.