Bell and Howell Senior Customer Service Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Senior Customer Service Engineer

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ramesh Ratan

Pros
  • Good people in Service, many long term employees that were always willing to help their fellow co workers when needed (in 7 reviews)

• Amazing work/life balance since there are no deadlines for anything (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Only 2 raises over the last 8 years, No 401K matching, High Insurance costs, less and less support and parts each year (in 6 reviews)

• They are struggling financially and have not given any pay increases in 6 years (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer in Madison, WI

Pros

Company works hard to diversify to keep the company relevant. Good co-workers and good communications from management on what is going on with the company. Company will reward hard work and over achieving.

Cons

Would be nice if they shift service CSEs around so everyone is experienced most to all of the machines we service. Can get tied down to a set customer/customers which can get tedious and boring.

Advice to Management

Take more time to listen to the people in the trenches and maybe spend some time coming out and visiting some of your service people for moral purposes and to put a person/human behind the name. Also, get engineering to listen and honestly consider opinions or concerns on service items/issues.

Bell and Howell Response

Oct 27, 2015 – VP of HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Bell and Howell. We have been working to balance travel and have members of our leadership spend more time hearing from those in other ... More

2. "increasing work load with no chance of pay increase"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Its a decent place to work. The people are generally friendly and will try and help if needed. The health care plan is okay.

Cons

There is a always increasing work load with no salary or position compensation. Upper management seems to have cut all lines of communication with lower and mid level employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who deal with the customer every day.

"High Stress, No Pay Increases"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer

I have been working at Bell and Howell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have multiple location throughout the United States and Canada. They have different shifts to choose from depending on which customer site you work at. Working on the inserting systems is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

They are struggling financially and have not given any pay increases in 6 years. The cost of your medical insurance is also high averaging $400 a month for a family.

4. "Good while it lasted"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer

I have been working at Bell and Howell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They still have money to pay us every 2 weeks.

Cons

The guys at the bottom (techs) do all the work will little reward. 1 merit increase in 5 years, and that's because they cut some excess fat in Durham. Company matches ZERO on your 401K. We are the 1%, no not the rich 1%, but the 1% of the companies that haven't gone back to compensating employees like pre 2008.

Advice to Management

Stop sugar coating the B.S

5. "It use to be a good company, is going down hill fast ."

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer

Pros

No real pros except pay is fair overall. No raises in 2 years or 401k matching also days off without pay.

Cons

The company has no real direction. All senior management are friends from the north east. A joke use to go around that if you did not play golf with the group you were not moving up in the company. How very true this is. Hard to believe a leader in the field has lost so much. They use to have 2000 techs in the usa now under 600. A dieing industry for a dieing companym with no reaql future

Advice to Management

You need to get a handle on the future of the company otherwise the company will be obsolete like so much of the antiquated equipment

6. "Not Bad"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer

Pros

Autonomy as a service tech

Cons

Lack of foresight in company focus

Advice to Management

Listen to the customers

"Great place to work, but need innovation and leadership."

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer

Pros

BBH provides a dynamic work environment for Customer Service Engineers. Our products are among the best in their respective markets, and new technologies are incorporated and well leveraged in our products. BBH emphasizes a high level of service to our customers and usually tries to give us the tools to provide that service. BBH is implementing a new CRM that should, if properly implemented, streamline and energize our processes from manufacturing to sales to service. I love my job and look forward to each day of work.

Cons

BBH is a leading manufacturer of products that are in a declining overall market. We have struggled, and continue to struggle to develop products that are relevant to today's market. Our inserters and sorters have been our bread and butter for years, but the concept of putting paper into envelopes and depending on the USPS to actually deliver them is steadily becoming obsolete. Management seems to flail from one initiative to another, but hasn't been able to reverse the decline of our sales or profits. Financial benchmarks are routinely missed, and the company has been taken from public to private back to public in the past few years. Nothing has served to revitalize the company, and employees sense the inevitable decline of our company. Benefits are being cut in every way imaginable, from 401k matching changes, huge (34% two years ago) increases in medical insurance premiums, and pay increases that do not even match inflation, but company profits still decline and miss established targets. Acquisition of the company by Böwe Systec of Germany a few years back brought in new products, but this equipment is very expensive to sell and service, and alienated many of our older customers used to our older, cheaper, simpler, and easier to operate equipment. Bowe Systec still doesn't trust us here in America, claiming 'security concerns' in refusing to provide online documentation on the German products to us even though we are expected to service that equipment.

Advice to Management

Find a relevant product to sell and service to our customers. Stop chasing the latest management fads and stick with something! Find better hardware tools than the slow clunky Blackberries and the interface from Hell that runs on them, SDA. Just about anything, even cell phones and pagers, would be an improvement in reliability and usability over the Blackberries and SDA. Figure out where the market is heading and come up with a revolutionary product to capture it - something like Pitney Bowes did with the Paragon/DM machines a few years ago. Stop the over-complication of our inserters - the customers hate our interfaces on them and just want to simply put paper into an envelope without requiring weeks of training and the constant presence of an engineer to keep the machine running as is the case with our Turbo products. Do not allow our benefits to be cut without telling us the truth about the cuts and the need for them. Trying to convince us that cuts are actually great diminishes your credibility with your workforce.