Bella Baby Photography Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Brad Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There are lots of demands from management at no pay other than 100% commission from the families who purchase" (in 13 reviews)

• "No compensation if you arrive and there are no babies to photograph" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Rewarding Job for the Right Person"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great job for professionals looking to gain experience in documentary and lifestyle photography. If you're someone who is self-directed and comfortable with commission-based compensation this could be a rewarding position for you.

Cons

Does not pay an appearance fee or any time-based compensation. If you struggle with time management the job won't be financially viable.

"Newborn Photographer"

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gained some editorial photography experience.

Cons

Horribly umderstaffed. Expected to photograph, edit and sell a package of 25 images in one hour. Impossible goal, particularly in a hospital setting where baby is fussy, mom is stressed, nurses are frustrated you are in their way, etc. After the initial hourly wage period expires, you would have to sell 12 of the baseline packages a week to make $16k per year.

Advice to Management

Pay an hourly rate always and perhaps a smaller commission. You may be able to keep your photographers from leaving.

Oct 5, 2018 – COO

Thank you for your feedback. We understand it can be a challenging position, yet rewarding for our photographers. They work hard every day to develop their craft, through sales and professional... More

3. "An opportunity like no other!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced photography in a controlled environment . There are hardly any days with out clients to photograph, and you are making memories the families they never knew were possible. With great managers and team support photographers in my area are successful.

Cons

Babies are born when they want to be and so weekend and holidays are mandatory in most hospitals. Not every family wants to purchase the photos after you have taken them so you have to make sure your photographs are stellar so they have a hard time saying "no" to purchasing.

"Operating as Illegal Freelancers"

Former Employee - Financial Accountant in Heber City, UT
    Former Employee - Financial Accountant in Heber City, UT

I worked at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building a portfolio, which by the way - the PHOTOGRAPHERS own, not the company. Their contract is BS.

Cons

This company has a weekly, routine schedule, a non-compete contract, treats you like staff and requires training. That is NOT a legal freelance - it's illegal.

Advice to Management

Review legal contracts and the proper way to compensate employees. Pay them hourly if you're scheduling them and offer benefits.

Oct 17, 2018 – COO

I am sorry you felt this way about your experience with us. All our photographers are treated with dignity and respect, and we especially value their daily contribution to our business. We adhere... More

"Decent gig"

Current Employee - Baby Photographer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Baby Photographer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The babies are adorable! And there's no one managing you day to day, which is relaxing. You can make really good money. Many parents are excited to meet you and have some beautiful photos taken. I've really enjoyed growing as a photographer and learning how to shoot better and edit better. Your responsibilities aren't huge and the days are usually busy and fun. The cut of commission usually adds up quick enough.

Cons

Not knowing if you're going to make good money each day - working for commission. NO guarantee of an hourly wage if you don't sell enough (is this legal?) Using all your own equipment and paying to use Lightroom and Photoshop each month.

Advice to Management

I really wish there was an option of a passable hourly wage OR commision each day, whichever was higher. Even if I don't need to take it, it'd be nice to not worry about it.

"Independent Contractor Pay/Employee Work"

Current Employee - Lead Photographer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Lead Photographer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with newborns in hospital and meeting new families can be a joy and an honor.

Cons

You truly are an employee with independent contractor status. There are lots of demands from management at no pay other than 100% commission from the families who purchase. If there aren’t any newborns to photograph or if families don’t order, there is no compensation for time worked. Session is complimentary so no commission on time worked only sales.
    Coworkers do not have any reason to act as a team player, so there is a tendency to pick and choose rooms to photograph and tell the rest they will be photographed by the next photographer. Also, if you are placed on the schedule you must work that day even if you requested the day off. Communication is via email, phone and text from management and coworkers at any time of day and can get overwhelming. To be successful, you must also do a lot of mailing, emailing and calling.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and pay as employees with pay plus commissions. Limit communication to email through proper channels to keep the job from becoming on call 24/7. Have protocol and procedures followed to ensure teamwork throughout the company. Honor photographer blackout periods. Hire enough photographers for each hospital to keep working hours flexible.

Sep 21, 2018 – COO

Thank you for your feedback. This is a competitive, commission based, sales environment where our photographers thrive on delivering an unforgettable experience for families.

"This job sucks do NOT ACCEPT THIS JOB YOU ARE WORTH MORE"

Former Employee - Photographer
    Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the babies are cute sometimes

Cons

You never know what your work day is going to look like, you don't know how much you're making each month because its a percentage of whatever you sell. I myself cannot make rent myself in a relatively inexpensive city because this company doesn't pay their employees for their time. The company does not seem to care about the welfare of the babies - I once went in to work and did not feel comfortable staying because I felt so ill. I told management and they told me to "finish out the day and tell concerned new mothers that I was just getting over an illness." It was a lie. I can't do it. Do not work for this company. They tried to guilt trip me into staying when I put in my two weeks saying they spent several hundred dollars getting me affiliated at these hospitals. Do not work for this company. Do not waste your time. You also have to use your own equipment, storage for images & are not compensated for travel time/gas expenses. I never ever write reviews but I took the time to write this because I truly had the worst experience with this company. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES LIVABLE WAGES! SUPPLY GEAR OR STIPENDS TO GET GEAR OR PROVIDE GEAR THAT IS THE QUALITY YOU'RE REQUESTING OF YOUR EMPLOYEES! BE MORAL! DO NOT ENDANGER BABIES BY SENDING IN SICK EMPLOYEES TO PHOTOGRAPH DEFENSELESS NEW SOULS!

Sep 24, 2018 – COO

We are extremely dedicated to every family we service in our hospitals each day. Our photographers work very hard to provide unmatched family photography, and our clients are consistently wowed day... More

8. "Photographer"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a part time position, I enjoyed working with Bella Baby Photography due to the flexible work schedule. All employees at that time were required to work two weekends a month as part of their contract, but for me this was acceptable. I also truly enjoyed photographing the newborns and working with the families at the hospitals. The hospitals I was stationed at were close to my home and made for an easy commute to and from work (although that may not be the case for everyone). Bella's pay scale is on a commission basis only. If you like sales, or feel comfortable in this kind of environment, then this is a positive part of the job.

Cons

There is genuine potential to make a solid part time income at the company. However, I have watched several single coworkers of mine struggle to make ends meet when Bella was their only source of income. Bella pays on a commission basis. Therefore, if the sales part of the job is not comfortable for you, then this may wind up being a limitation for working for Bella.

Aug 23, 2018 – COO

Thank you for your feedback. It is a sales based position, and many photographers excel in this environment, achieving successes artistically and financially.

9. "photographer"

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

like dealing with babies and the enoviroment

Cons

Commission based only and never a set pay

Jul 24, 2018 – COO

Thank you for the feedback. We always make sure photographers are ready for the commission based environment and are able excel and grow their craft, while increasing their sales.

"Great Sales Beats Great Photography"

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place for newer photographers to get professional experience.

Cons

You're pushed to sell ridiculously priced packages and the job is completely commission based. After you do a shoot, you'll prepare a slideshow and sales spiel to push product on moms who are still exhausted from giving birth.

Jul 9, 2018 – COO

We are happy to hear you were able to grow your photography craft with us. It is a commission based salary, by which our photographers thrive and are worth the professional photography pricing with... More