Bella Baby Photography Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2019

3.4
Brad Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The consistency of working for Bella Baby lets you keep commissions coming in steadily in addition to your own side-work" (in 23 reviews)

• "Working with babies is a lot of fun" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Job is commission based , as well as not paid hourly so no sales no money" (in 15 reviews)

• "100% commission based so you work a lot for free" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Best Places to Work to gain experience and make long lasting relationships!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning about the photography business with a loads of people to support you in your sales and training experience. There are always people you can go to with your questions and you will always find an answer.

Cons

Birth rate at hospitals but that's something no on can control. Baby's are born when they are born.

2. "Babies, Flexibility, Creative Outlet, Improve Photography Skills"

Current Employee - Photographer Coordinator/Trainer/Photographer in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You already have your customer base, your babies and moms are already there for you. You don't have to set your own prices, or build a website, that is all done for you. Flexibility, the hours of Bella Baby in the hospital are 9-6 but if you finish photographing before then and imputing everything in the system then you are free to go whenever you have completed your day. At Bella Baby they start you off with an hourly wage to make sure that your sales will be where they need to be at before you go straight commission. There is also extra sales training and you always have a manager that will help you out. Also BABIES...who doesn't like to snuggle and photograph babies all day. Your photography skills will improve 10 fold while in this job, you are using your skills everyday and in a hospital room you have to get creative and find the correct lighting which helps you learn your craft so much more. I also think working in hospitals is a very fun atmosphere to work in.

Cons

There are some days where you may not have as many babies as you would like and then there are some days where you have an over abundance. The number of babies balances out and some days you just have an easier day and get to go home early and others you will be working all day and make awesome sales. The onboarding process at Bella is a little different because you have to be cleared to work in the hospitals, so it can take a while, but you are working in the hospital with newborns so its understandable that all of the medical and background checks would take longer and I would hope they would.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

3. "My favorite Job yet."

Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I make such good money here and also I get to do my favorite thing which is taking pictures everyday. This job is also great if you're going to school, have a family, or a second job because the schedule is so flexible. You just tell Bella how much you're able to work and they will always work around YOUR schedule.

Cons

I don't have many cons. Me being a well-seasoned photographer and a trainer, I tell my new trainees to be patient if you're not seeing a great paycheck in the beginning after your hourly stages. It takes a little time to get your sales pitch down and to be able to have a steady commission based check. I was discouraged in the beginning but now I am so happy that I stuck around and tried my hardest, this is the most money I've ever made at a job, and I can say I feel financially secure in this job. I also do wish we had certain benefits.

4. "Meh"

Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience for starting out with photography
    Sometimes get a few days off in a row

Cons

Commission based: Only make money if the parents actually purchase photos
    Commuting for a bout an hr (Stinks if only you just get to take one session)
    Seemed like the other photographers didn't appreciate me
    Bored waiting around for mothers
    Was only trained for 2 days
    Was not trained for the demise sessions
    Trainer made fun of me
    Not good communication with other photographers about scheduling

Apr 8, 2019 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are sorry to hear you had this kind of experience with us. It is our goal to train and give each photographer the proper tools to succeed in the... More

"You end up with nothing"

Pros

You get to photograph cute newborns; you work independently and can organize your own day; you have a good amount of creative freedom; you gain experience in lifestyle newborn/family photography

Cons

Pay is purely commission, and a lot of times you end up working for free if family doesn’t buy anything (which happens, and not so rarely); the commission itself is ridiculous if you consider that you are using your own equipment (which, if you had to replace relying on Bella Baby’s job... well good luck), you have no benefits and you waste a lot of hours just waiting for the appointments, rescheduling or postponing them because something always gets in the way (nurses in the room, baby’s not there, feeding time, mom’s tired and so on).
    But to me the worse part is that the company owns the pictures, you can’t use them for your portfolio, and you basically work as a photographer but you can’t show your work anywhere to anybody. It feels like having the hands tied and working with no recognition whatsoever. I mean, think about it, a photographer that doesn’t own his work and can’t use it for his career. What’s good about it? You can work at Bella Baby for years and you end up with nothing.

Mar 20, 2019 – COO

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and are happy to know that you have been able to gain photography experience by working for us. We understand the frustration in not being able to show and... More

6. "Great company, fun job!"

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for Bella Baby! I have two young children and was looking for a job with flexibility in the scheduling and also something that would still allow me to be creative. It is such a great experience meeting families and their new babies and getting to gift them something they will cherish forever.

Cons

No cons really. Having a background in sales really helps with the job being commission based, but they offer great training and support to help get you where you need to be.

7. "Good for Experience"

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

Babies are cute, and I learned a lot about lighting, and working in difficult situations

Cons

You only make money by selling pictures, and although it is easy if you go into your shift with that mindset, I didn't like that my paycheck depended on how good of a sales rep I was.

"Great Enviroment"

Current Employee - Photographer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Photographer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working in the hospitals with new families. It is the sweetest time to document a life. I love the experience, the challenge and the people.
    Working on commission can be difficult but it is so rewarding. Everyone shares ideas and is super helpful!

Cons

No cons. I think some may find commission tough but it is easy when you form a relationship with the clients.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay sometimes is great. It's good for you if you like babies.

Cons

Working on commissions is awful! You waste your time taking "free pictures" for people who usually don't buy. Even if they buy, the company takes more than 70% of the sale.
     If you're new there, you will HAVE TO work on some holidays.
    I had to go to work sick one day, because there were no other photographer who want to pick my shift.

Advice to Management

LOWER YOUR CUT AND RESPECT YOUR PHOTOGRAPHERS!

Mar 6, 2019 – COO

Thank you for providing your feedback, I am sorry you felt this way about your experience with us. This is a competitive, commission based, sales environment where our photographers thrive on... More

10. "Rewarding job!"

Current Employee - Photographer
    Current Employee - Photographer

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started as a photographer 4 years ago with little experience as a professional photographer. Our region is Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Nevada and Idaho. Regions are owned and run slightly differently and my experience has been incredible. It's a great environment to grow as a photographer because you get constant feedback from your clients as you are shooting and showing the same day. It's an excellent place to learn IPS which is where photography is trending to ensure success. We provide these families with images that they will cherish for the rest of their lives that were taken while everything seemed a blur. I've run into families on the street that I photographed in the hospital and the mom's come and hug me crying with gratitude as we talk about their photos. It's such a satisfying and fulfilling job! You can also carry those families with you for sessions over the years with Bella Life to continue those relationships for years.

Cons

Commission is scary. But there is a formula for success and as long as you are willing to learn, and adjust, you will be successful. This job is more customer service than anything. No hard selling.