Bella Baby Photography Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for Bella Baby has been the most rewarding job I've ever had (in 21 reviews)

• Very independent work, meet new people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Rarely, but sometimes there are no babies to photograph (in 7 reviews)

• Commission-based pay meant a varied paycheck, but you are ensured minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunities for Freelance Photographers"

Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hospital photography offers continuos work since new babies are born each day. When you are a freelance portrait photography you don't easily find bookings year-round all days of the week. The consistency of working for Bella Baby lets you keep commissions coming in steadily in addition to your own side-work.

Cons

Certain days are slow and less profitable but on the flip side, you can have a very busy day and earn very good commissions as well.

2. "Fun with babies"

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

spend your day with babies

Cons

sometimes low pay for long days

Advice to Management

hourly or daily rate

3. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

Great job for struggling freelance photographers. Pay is commission only, if you put the work in you'll have a substantial paycheck. Very independent work, meet new people

Cons

Management could be spotty at times

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to team leaders

4. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Lead Photographer in Dayton, OH

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with newborns & people from all walks of life. Management cares for their staff & feels like family. Loved my co-workers, they were lots of fun, full of knowledge, & very creative!

Cons

Unpredictable hours, not a job to be taken lightly, you are dealing with tired families, sometimes fussy newborns, & takes someone with lots of patience & understanding.

Advice to Management

I loved & appreciated the owners/managers who were more than willing to help in any way they could & had an open door policy.

5. "Newborn Photographer"

Current Employee - Photographer in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with choosing when you work

Cons

commission based salary so if you have trouble selling you don't make money

6. "Way More Good Than Bad"

Former Employee - Photographer in Neptune, NJ
    Former Employee - Photographer in Neptune, NJ

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Control over schedule
    - The ability to be creative on a daily basis
    - Work independently
    - Doing what you love, and if you don't love photography, you shouldn't be here
    - Meet new people
    - Rarely had a bad day

Cons

- Working on commission stinks
    - Days are unpredictable due to number of births and when you have access to the baby
    - My hospital provided terrible gear, so the wear and tear and put on my camera to make sure I delivered a superior product.
    - No compensation if you arrive and there are no babies to photograph.
    - Some hospital demographics are far poorer than others, making sales harder and less lucrative
    - Midnight calls for tragic events

Advice to Management

- A base pay. I had covered two hospitals that were approximately 45 mins from my home and if there were zero births, I was out time, gas, and tolls.
    - Be more involved in helping slumping photographers. Offer refresher classes, continuing education - something to keep photographers eyes fresh and keeping them from burning out.
    - Have better communication with the hospitals about what the photographers do and how they do it. I had nurses tell parents that I could come back at night to get their whole family. Not true. Hospital staff should be educated to not provide bad information.
    - Make sure all hospitals within the region have the same gear available at each hospital. Some hospitals would have a 5D Mark III and a wide angle lens while the hospital down the street would have a 50D and a kit lens.

7. "love this company, great job"

Current Employee - Photographer in Bellbrook, OH
    Current Employee - Photographer in Bellbrook, OH

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great work experience and learning experience

Cons

none that i can think of

8. "Decent job for entry-level photographers wanting to learn"

Former Employee - Photographer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Photographer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working with the babies, that was one of the greatest joys. The hospital staff are usually very great and accommodating. Management is always available if you need help. Teamwork is great here. Everyone helps everyone. I learned a lot about my camera and lighting while working here. I actually know how to use both a Nikon and a Canon DSLR now. There is no manager hovering over you. You usually are working by yourself possibly one other photographer.

Cons

At first, I thought this job was not going to be for me. It is very intimidating at first, especially if you are not a master with your camera or a top salesperson. Everything you need to learn, and learning your way around multiple hospitals was very stressful. They advertise that you can make up to $25 an hour. This is a commission based compensation, and it is very difficult to make more than minimum wage. You typically have to stay longer than your normal 9-5, sometimes even till 8 o'clock at night. Then, you still have to put in time at home. Took way too much time for what little pay I was getting. Very rare that you can get a full-time position, and the busiest hospitals are already taken by the seniority photographers. At least where I was working. Also, you have to have all your own equipment. Although, they say you don't and they have back-up computers, cameras, flashes, but to do the job effectively, you need the best of the best. And you need to be fast. If the pay was better, I would still be at Bella Baby, but I was barely making $5 an hour. If you are just looking for something to do, and make a few extra dollars while getting hands-on experience with your camera, then this could be the job for you. But if you have a family at home to take care of, you can't find the time to do this job.

Advice to Management

Raise commission rate or offer a base pay. You will never keep anyone if that doesn't happen. I feel give gas reimbursement possibly, since you are never at just one hospital and if you are working past 5 o'clock, you should get paid a bonus, Bonuses would help a great deal. That would help motivate employees to work harder. Not like Bella Baby can't afford it. I actually believe you need to hire more well-trained photographers and sales-people. Because without these traits, it is hard to succeed at this job. Especially with the training. Something needs to be done differently during the training process. Rather than going over the camera, and going straight into the hospital. There should be about a week of training, with part outside the hospital with sales and photography training. Especially if you are only hiring entry-level photographers.

9. "Photographer"

Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gettting to do what you love.

Cons

No upward mobility, pay raises, or PTO

Advice to Management

Make room for advancement

Bella Baby Photography Response

Sep 15, 2017 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. As a sales commission based position, it can be a competitive environment, yet we strive to make Bella Baby a place for photographers to grow... More

10. "photographer"

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

It look ok on paper

Cons

Very poor management, lack of creativity, dated materials.

Advice to Management

Get involved, support your employees with proper material an guidelines.