Bella Baby Photography Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working for Bella Baby has been the most rewarding job I've ever had (in 21 reviews)

• Working with babies is a lot of fun (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes there aren't a lot of babies to photograph, but the numbers usually even out (in 7 reviews)

• 100% commission based, so your pay check is never guaranteed (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunities for Freelance Photographers"

Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hospital photography offers continuos work since new babies are born each day. When you are a freelance portrait photography you don't easily find bookings year-round all days of the week. The consistency of working for Bella Baby lets you keep commissions coming in steadily in addition to your own side-work.

Cons

Certain days are slow and less profitable but on the flip side, you can have a very busy day and earn very good commissions as well.

2. "A great place to grow as a photographer"

Current Employee - Photographer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Photographer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

Great place to learn how to sell.
    Working with babies is a lot of fun.
    Photography is fun.
    You will learn how to shoot quickly.
    You will learn how to edit quickly.
    You will become an expert at off camera flash.
    The photography standards are pretty high and it will force you to grow as a photographer.
    Friendly and supportive management and co-workers.
    Know your schedule in advance--work schedules are released monthly.
    Higher commission percentage on holidays.
    Most days my shift lasts only 5-7 hours. Get home before rush hour traffic.
    Customer support is awesome.
    Welcoming, inclusive work environment.

Cons

You have to provide your own equipment (camera, flash, laptop, Lightroom subscription, cell phone).
    Pay is low to begin with for most until you get your groove and are able to sell more.
    No benefits.
    Sales tools aren't awesome. No brochures, website isn't very informative, online ordering is painful.

Advice to Management

Provide more in-depth initial training. My first solo day felt completely overwhelming. Provide ongoing sales mentorship and training so that we can bring in more revenue per photo shoot.

3. "Not for Me"

Former Employee - Photographer
    Former Employee - Photographer

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

If you love photography and are looking for something to do in your free time for EXTRA money than this is the job for you. Would not recommend using this as your main income. Great to practice and perfect your photography skills.

Cons

When I was hired, I was told I would be compensated for what I didn’t make in sales. That is not true!!!! You only make your 35% commission and that is it. Many hours of waiting around for moms to want photos WITHOUT BEING PAID may I say. In my opinion, not worth it. Glad I left. It’s kind of a scam. Some days would drive to hospitals for there only to be one baby and moms wouldn’t want photos anyway.

Advice to Management

Some managers are amazing. Others were hard to get a hold of when needed and very pushy about hitting sales.

4. ""Photographer""

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

Set your own hours

Cons

-They don't pay you hourly, but demand you be available all day (not legal)
    -Expect you to be available all day to work for free, so when they email or call you are expected to respond even if you aren't at work.
    -YOU DO NOT GET PAID

Advice to Management

Maybe realize who is making your money and treat your employees better. One day the words and phone calls and nasty emails are going to catch up and someone will have the time to invest in a decent lawsuit

Bella Baby Photography Response

Jan 18, 2018 – COO

Thank you for your response. Our photographers are paid fairly and work very hard. It is a sales based position, and our employees understand and excel in that environment. If you would like to... More

5. "Okay"

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

Sometimes you can make good money for the time worked

Not a standard 8 to 5, so you can get days off for appointments

Cons

Work holidays and weekends
    Schedule can be very unpredictable
    Requires you to work as if you are salary
    No benefits
    Owner can be rude
    Poor training overall
    Hard to keep other people on staff and you end up working more than what you were hired on for to pick up other people's slack...even though 100% commission
    Some days everyone declines, so you wasted money and time
    Poor communication with the hospital and our policies
    Low commission rates
    Probably will not move up, takes a long time to become lead

Advice to Management

Set up specific guidelines for all workers to know. All specific guidelines should be given upfront to all workers instead of trying to reprimand workers after the fact.

Speak to workers before assuming the worst

Increase commission rates

Stop forcing holidays, the day after Christmas for example can have more workers to get everyone from the day prior. Hospital pictures are not life or death. Treat your 1099 employers better. They are 100% commission, they should not be forced to work holidays.

6. "Ok if you like sales"

Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Newborn Photographer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bella Baby Photography part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with newborns
    Flexible Schedule
    No long hours
    Beef up your photography skills

Cons

Commission only
    Owner can be rude at times
    Sales

Advice to Management

Offer a base pay

7. "Great company, great people!"

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great teamwork, values, and company. All of the management team wants their staff to succeed. Support is there at all times. Continued education is always available and given.

Cons

No cons. If you are looking to supplement your income as a photographer, you have a perfect opportunity here. If you are looking to grow in the company, as Bella grows, more and more opportunities become available.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, aiming to always make the company better.

"Sorta fun job with terrible compensation"

Current Employee - Photographer
    Current Employee - Photographer

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

- Really positive management that cares about your growth as a photographer
    - The work itself is pretty fun! The babies are cute!
    - Once you're on the location you can make up your own workflow for the day, they are not strict micromanagers. As long as your work is being done you have the freedom to arrange your day however you need to.

Cons

The short version of what I have to say is: Terrible money and they expect a lot of work out of you for free. I will expand about what I mean below.

The money is, at best: Inconsistent, at worst: Not there. This is a sales job where you make commission. If you're good at sales, you'll be okay. It's possible to have really big sales days. Even so, the amount of babies born on any given day is in flux so you'll never really be able to predict what your paycheck is going to be or plan in advance for it. Even if you're great at your job and have a good sales rate, there will be days where no babies are born or healthy enough to shoot.

On those days where there's no babies, you are not compensated for your drive to the hospital or the labor you put in doing their paperwork. Part of your daily workload is entering your patients into BB's system. So, for example, if you get all the way to the hospital, get the patient roster, enter the potential rooms to visit, then find that the babies have been transferred to the NICU or some other reason you can't do the shoot, it means you just spent your commute and an hour of your time working for free. They also expect you to greet patients who will be seen the next day, which is more labor you're performing and more of your own time you're using when you aren't technically being paid.

They base their business and pay model around the idea that each baby should take an hour to shoot, edit, and sell. It's possible that this can be improved with practice but it's really hard to do in one hour, plus you never know what external factors are happening, like the baby being hungry, the nurse interrupting to run a test, etc. They try to tell you that if you shoot 3 babies in a day you should be done in 3 hours, so you'd be working 9-12. The truth is that you show up at 9, do your computer work, check your rooms, and sometimes the baby is having a test done or is in the middle of breastfeeding, so suddenly the room you want to shoot can't be seen for an hour. Now you're sitting there for an hour without being paid. It really adds up over the course of the day, and you're usually given tips on how to expedite your workflow and push the moms to shooting ASAP but the truth is that it just doesn't work like that. There are too many factors from working in an active hospital that are just out of your control. One hospital I work in has mandatory quiet hour where you aren't allowed to go in the rooms, so if you don't get everyone done before quiet hour it's another hour you're sitting around not being paid. So suddenly one baby is taking 2 or 3 hours of your time, and even if you make the sale, at the end of the day sometimes when you break your hours down you're making less than minimum wage.

When I first started working there they were paying a flat rate of $10 per session regardless if you sold anything or not, which was really helpful to make SOMETHING on days when no one wanted to purchase, but they stopped doing that, and there have been days when I've pulled a 6 or 7 hour shift and made no money at all. Their model is always going to be to tell you to work on your sales and that it's in your own control, but it's still a bit of a ridiculous risk that isn't very worth it to me.

They expect you to be present even when they aren't paying you for your time--for example, a few weeks back I did all my shoots and left, and at the end of the afternoon a mom who had declined changed her mind and they expected me to go back to the hospital because we are technically available until 6pm if we are needed.

Given these issues I take with the company I also think it's ridiculous that you need to use your own equipment--all this free labor and they can't even provide a kit?

The scheduling is an issue, too. They're "flexible" in that if you request off you can PROBABLY get it, but they post the schedules a month in advance. I've never worked a job that did the scheduling like this and honestly it's a total nightmare. For example, December schedule is posted the beginning of November, so December requests off need to be made by the end of October. That means if you need a day off towards the end of December, you have to request off two months in advance. And sometimes you can't know ! Like doctor appointments or family engagements--honestly, unless it's a huge trip or a big event like a wedding or something, who knows plans that far in advance! Ridiculous!

Advice to Management

Respect your photographers and pay them for their time. The commission-based pay doesn't cover a lot of the labor you expect from them.

"pretty good but there are some drawbacks"

Current Employee - Newborn Photographer
    Current Employee - Newborn Photographer

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time (More than a year)

Pros

working pretty independently, pay per hour works out to be pretty good on average, fun to share a baby's first day with their parents. Meet some really nice people. We sell a wonderful product that I really genuinely believe in and I can't understand why parents would not want photos of their newborn baby! I would have gladly paid for photos of mine when I had them but it was not offered in county hospital. Easy product to sell when you can actually get in to photograph the baby. Satisfying and rewarding job knowing that the product i am selling them is probably the first thing they would grab and keep if their house caught fire. Nice and encouraging management who are pretty understanding and made me feel comfortable even when i was new and feeling lost in this position.

Cons

we are, understandably, not as important as medical staff so have to work around them. hard to communicate with hospital staff as they are busy. moms always want to put off photos for whatever reason and won't just outright decline if they don't want photos waste a lot of your time going back to room over and over again or rescheduling appointments just to end up not doing photos. babies are very unpredictable. parents often let you set up and start doing photos only to take photos with their phone over your shoulder. commission only. hours are extremely unpredictable resulting in conflicts with my own child care arrangements.

Advice to Management

more communication with hospital, let moms have some awareness that we exist before we come to their door asking to do photos as they usually seem to have the wrong idea about what our company does. more training with experienced photographer in the hospital. also i think 35% commission only is pretty low for what we do, 40-50 would be more fair or a base wage for the day since there is a lot of waiting for everyone else to do their job before us.

10. "Fun with babies"

I have been working at Bella Baby Photography part-time

Pros

spend your day with babies

Cons

sometimes low pay for long days

Advice to Management

hourly or daily rate