KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Belly

Is this your company?

Belly

Add a Review

Belly Employee Reviews about "merchants"

Updated Jun 10, 2016

Found 4 of over 60 reviews

3.4
Belly CEO Dan Gloede (no image)
Dan Gloede
Pros
  • "Great companies were built on great people(in 6 reviews)

• "You can meet some cool people, everyone is pretty young at the office(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you are looking for an average 9-5 job, this is not the place(in 4 reviews)

• "Non evolving product with no real value for the merchants(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Tech

Former Employee

Company is a total joke

Jun 10, 2016 - OUTSIDE SALES in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Was pretty easy sell in the beginning when it was priced right

Cons

Gimmick BS product, every person I sold I felt like I ripped them off. I get calls from past merchants who have no way of getting in touch with Belly to cancel. Maybe 3 people in sales still work there from 2 years ago. Every positive review on here is fake!

9 people found this review helpful

Belly Response

Recruiter

We find this review a little confusing because we have never had a salesperson in Houston, TX and therefore, we question the credibility and validity of this review because it appears fake.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Bait and Switch

Nov 12, 2014 - Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

-7Eleven deal is very impressive -You meet some great people -Friendships extend beyond the workplace

Cons

Where to begin? -Start with the title of this post, expect lots of empty promises as a salesperson (payraise, stock options, promotion, special projects, etc). -We always have to act like a "big-boy" company when talking w/ merchants and customers, however "We're a start-up" was always the response when inquiring about pay-raises, expenses, etc. -The only thing that "evolves" is the price of the service, which you know only increases. The product hasn't changed in over a year, and it is becoming more stale by the day. In this industry it is mandatory to be ahead of the innovation curve. -Where is the logic here? Customer A purchases a $500 catering order for their office; they earn 5 points. Customer B walks in next and purchases a can of soda-pop; they earn 5 points. Customer C follows and just needs to use the bathroom; they earn 5 points. #loyalty -CEO would routinely send out extreme emails on a Friday afternoon declaring "Mandatory work weekend". Many employees were out of town on vacation during one of these summer weekends, and that resulted in documented warnings and "Performance Improvement Plans" (aka "PIPS") being delivered on Monday because they weren't working (think of these as a "Strike 2" before being fired). -How many times can the "F Bomb" be dropped in a motivational speech or meeting? Google the mission statement or credo or whatever it is, every sentence has the f-word in it and the exec team LOVES that it does. Grow up, I thought swearing was cool when I was in elementary school. -A hint for current and future employees... Would you like to be promoted? My advice: complain. Whiners consistently get what they want here. -Your first 90 days are crucial as a new employee, because if you don't perform at a high-level right away you will be terminated. They going on hiring and firing binges within these first three months and they don't have to pay unemployment if you are let go within that time frame. -A great majority of these positive reviews before me are not organic. Exec team sent out emails asking people to write positive reviews because they were preparing to go on one of their famous hiring binges (read above) the following month.

20 people found this review helpful

Belly Response

People Manager

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are happy to see that your experience with your co-workers and the rest of the Belly team was positive and that you were able to establish relationships that extend past the workplace. We aim to hire the best people, not only from a professional standpoint but from a personal standpoint, too. And thank you for your enthusiasm regarding the 7Eleven deal and how it has strengthened our position in the loyalty space. This has been a huge source of pride for us and is something we know will shape the future of Belly. We're excited! We are, however, sorry to hear that the rest of your experience working with Belly was less than positive. Belly will continue to be committed to building and maintaining a fun yet professional and respectful culture and one that is transparent with its employees. -The People Team

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A Sinking Ship

Feb 16, 2014 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of hardworking young people on track for long and successful professional careers Pretty good benefits Good short term opportunity, more mature tech and marketing companies love to recruit Belly employees.

Cons

The product peaked, it was the next big thing for a while in the SMB space and now it's losing its appeal because it doesn't offer any true value to its merchants and business owners are growing wise to it. It's heading in the direction of a lot of its earlier competitors Upper management doesn't have a clue of what they are doing, no longterm vision or direction whatsoever, just cockiness and rah rah rah. The turnover is really high, like over 50% in less than a year. Just look at the Team Page, the faces change every week. Really poor commission plan, and the sales execs always finding clever ways to pay employees less. Basically, the company is divided between the Chicago inner circle and unhappy outside reps. People in Chicago love it, people outside don't. They don't give customer emails to the business owners because they say they want to make sure that customers don't get spammed, then they spam the customers every day with pointless emails. So basically they make both parties angry. Totally backwards.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Let Down

Dec 23, 2013 - OUTSIDE SALES
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll come into contact with a lot of bright, driven people Great "teeth cutting" experience for recent grads A solid platform to jump to a better job within six months to a year Great health benefits

Cons

Immature, unprofessional exec team High turnover Non evolving product with no real value for the merchants. It's a great concept but poorly executed The commission is horrible If you're an outside rep, forget about the "start up culture". The company does nothing to make you feel like part of the team, you're disposable. It's all grind and hustle, and you'll get little in return except for a notch on your belt. Here's the killer... The whole concept is based on a product (iPad) that peaked in popularity a couple years ago.

3 people found this review helpful