Belmont University Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert C. Fisher
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Belmont University

Pros

All the staff I've met and worked with seem to be happy to work there and are very good at doing their jobs. Very nice, friendly and helpful people for the most part. This university is just the right size that you get to know staff from other departments fairly well, and yet it doesn't feel too small. My department is great, supervisors care a lot about their employees and are very flexible, although this may vary by...

Cons

The fitness center needs to be much bigger to accommodate the constantly growing student body and staff that want to use it.

Belmont University2016-05-29

"To much politics, not enough Jesus"

Former Employee - Computer & Simulation Technician in Nashville, TN

I worked at Belmont University for less than a year

Pros

It was Better than being unemployed.

Cons

I assumed because it was a "Christian" university it would be a good place to work. I was wrong. You have to constantly watch your back. Everything is political. You either have to correctly identify the cliques and work your way into one or you have to stay below the radar and fend for your self. There is a web of connections and behind the back chatter that is effectively a minefield. I did not fit in immediately...

Belmont University2016-04-05
  3. "Great!!"

I have been working at Belmont University part-time

Pros

This university truly cares about its student employees and as a result, students love getting jobs on campus. The environment of Belmont is nothing but positive and I would suggest it to anyone.

Cons

Sometimes hours are spotty. When you desire to work, there are so many other students that wish to work as well. It works out, but it is difficult.

Advice to Management

Remember that the employees are also students and they are in college with a social life. Management does a wonderful job acknowledging this and I have nothing but praise.

Belmont University2016-01-11
  4. "Relaxed but Organized"

Former Employee - Library Night Supervisor in Fort Campbell, KY

I worked at Belmont University for more than a year

Pros

Different positions available at (literally) all hours of the day and night. Nice coworkers. Interaction with public, students, staff, teachers -- all respectful Relaxed environment

Cons

Some slow points throughout the day; can be a bit boring at times

Belmont University2015-08-31

"Great atmosphere overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Belmont University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really nice co-workers Fairly relaxed environment compared to corporate Beautiful campus

Cons

They can be very tight-fisted and only care about the bottom line It's mostly Christian in name only (could be a pro, depending on your stance) Few opportunities for advancement

Belmont University2015-06-04
  6. "Best university I've worked for."

I worked at Belmont University

Pros

One of THE best colleges I've worked at (and I've worked at several). The students are very appreciative of the assistance we give them, the staff in my department was like family and very supportive and encouraging.

Cons

Salary could be better, but then again, we are talking about the field of education which has never been known to pay well.

Belmont University2015-03-19
  7. "Could be great"

I have been working at Belmont University

Pros

Great place to work and great students

Cons

Administration Exploits the adjuncts- LOW pay!

Advice to Management

PAY the TEACHERS

Belmont University2015-03-05
  8. "Computer Lab Assistant"

Former Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Belmont University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work was challenging, but I truly enjoyed it. You get to meet a lot of people, help them with answering questions or fixing a problem. Coworkers were nice and friendly. I really nice student job.

Cons

The amount of emails sent by the manager. I would receive hundreds of emails about a mistake somebody made, about some documents, about updates, about whatnot. Fighting for shifts with coworkers.

Advice to Management

My advice is to be more strict with employees, because some are doing nothing. By strict, I do not mean rude or cantankerous - but realize who helps you and the Computer Lab improve, and who is just wasting the available resources and being paid for that.

Belmont University2015-01-30

"Slow paced staff focused on status quo, not innovation."

I worked at Belmont University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Because you're not expected to do much, it gives you time to pursue hobbies and be involved in the community. There are a few people who genuinely work for and care about the students.

Cons

Don't work here if you want to be pushing boundaries, implementing best practices, or evading favoritism. While many are good intentioned, the staff seems burnt out and bored.

Advice to Management

Know that there is a whole world outside of Belmont, stop just hiring your own and look to other schools (and maybe even business?!) to create real change. Your student population has changed; pay attention.

Belmont University2014-12-23

"This could be a good place to work if they could run it like a business."

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech II in Nashville, TN

I worked at Belmont University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed the work I was able to perform.

Cons

Too many people (including students) who act like they are better than you. Money is wasted through and through and yet the raises are the same for all (at least in my department) no matter what your performance was or the quality of work you performed. Many people in management positions with no interpersonal skills. No job training or advancement opportunities (at least in my department).

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and listen to their suggestions (even if you look down on that department, but sing their praises when you are addressing them). ALL your employees are key to a successful organization, so they are just as important as the students are.

Belmont University2014-02-21