Belvedere Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Thomas Hutchinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, open access to leadership

Cons

Not sure how to best quantify

2. "Entrepreneurial and empowering"

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been loving my experience at Belvedere so far. This company defines collaboration. The leadership truly gives you the autonomy and ownership to make an impact at the firm. Ideas are embraced and every employee has multiple avenues to share ideas and opinions.

Cons

Nothing specific. With any dynamic company you have to be comfortable shifting gears quickly, however, that's what makes the work exciting and more impactful.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. These are leaders that care about their people and demonstrate what it means to be a team.

3. "So much fun!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Belvedere Trading full-time

Pros

Belvedere is such a fun place to work, I mean how could a place that has a keg and tons of hard liquor in office AND allows you to wear sweats not be fun?! Kind of a fratty vibe which is a nice transition from college to the workforce. A strong work hard play way harder mentality. Wild company events. They have stressful jobs and deserve to unwind after a long day. After all, that are named after a vodka!

Cons

There are not really any cons that I can think of off the top of my head. Keep it up!

"Solid"

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time

Pros

Not a bad place to start a career
    Decent amount of company/team outings
    Young and fun atmosphere, ~95% of traders hired straight from college
    Relaxed work attire- jeans are almost considered "dressy"
    Kegs and coffee in the office

Cons

Technology is less than stellar
    Pay structure is confusing and bonus is derived much more from company performance rather than individual
    It's unheard of to be up from your desk for more than 5 minutes at a time... all the new hires even do lunch runs for the ~40 traders each day
    It's becoming easier and easier to blend in and get away with the bare minimum
    Like all trading firms, turnover is high

Advice to Management

Hutch is awesome, but he's moving to Colorado soon and I think he's a fool if he hasn't heavily considered selling the company
    There's a reason many Belvedere traders take their talents to other firms

"Incoherent focus"

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time

Pros

Bunch of free stuff, typical of other trading firms. Nothing impressive really compared to some of the other peers.

Cons

Not sure why the firm fails to focus on economics and spends more time focusing on politics. Perhaps those running the place have no idea how to grow so they work on the more touchy feely aspect of the business.

Advice to Management

All the various non revenue initiatives are fine but when that becomes the primary focus and the primary topic of attention, something is very wrong. Have you compared yourselves to the other OMMs? They are growing revenues significantly and have a very focused and experienced management team that knows the industry. You seem to hire to fill in some check boxes as opposed to hiring the best person for the job.

6. "Been a Blast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Belvedere Trading has been a blast from the moment I started. The culture is outstanding, especially coming from other companies where they aren't as invested in their employees. I truly feel like the higher ups care about their employees, and they provide you reason to invest into the company by making you feel valued.

In an age where people play the hop scotch game from company to company, I can see my self trying to stay and Belvedere for as long as I possibly can.

Cons

Development resources can sometimes be a bit limited.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Lack of Motivation"

Current Employee - Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can create own strategy
    Some very bright persons

Cons

Management contradict self often, can get personal and petty
    Laid back culture means many employee don't care or try to improve company
    Technology in bad shape

Advice to Management

Recognize who care and tries hard and reward them

"Honest appraisal"

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time

Pros

Incentive compensation is pretty interesting and let's you take a risk on the future

Good events to develop team spirit with others

Most co-workers really try to make this a good experience

Cons

The 2-3 people running this place took it as far as they could. Now they are hurting the company because they have no new ideas.

Lack of innovation

Technology is not cutting edge

Focus is only on 1-2 products that make money. Ignoring the rest of the marketplace. Probably because those tasked with growing revenues have blinders on and cannot look past what they know.

Focus on petty issues by management and managers. Focus on more strategic things.

Complacency and laziness is becoming the norm. Not hungry anymore.

Insiders often compare this place to a wannabe DRW. Not even close to DRW circa 2000.

Cannot make decisions

Talent management and recruiting focuses mainly on college grads. Experienced hire are non existent or an after thought

Churn and burn model. Senior people have made their money, so no motivation to do more.

Advice to Management

You need ambitious people at the top. People with experience and strategic vision.

You need to get rid of people who are no longer doing much but are rather than milking the gravy train. And yes, this applies to senior management too.

Look outwards and not inwards.

Compare yourself to peers and be honest about how you really compare in terms of strategy, pnl, talent, growth, geographies, asset classes

SPX is not enough. Need to do more to grow.

Luck can only take you so far. Talent takes you the distance. And ambitions conquers the world.

You need to make some major changes in the organization and bring in people from the outside who can help you achieve your vision. People inside cannot do it and are not doing it.

"Good place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours aren't bad at all. Very flat firm, so you are able to make an impact if you so desire.

Cons

Very laid back culture, so everyone doesn't work as hard as they could. Pay is very formulaic, and doesn't vary enough between top and bottom performers on the tech side.

Advice to Management

Be ok with delegating more responsibility. The people at the top can't make all the decisions around implementation. I think we'd be better off as a firm if you could spend more time strategizing about the future, hammering home that vision to everyone, and putting the right people in the right places to make that happen.

10. "Great Foundation"

Current Employee - Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Belvedere Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment that allows for traders of all seniorities work alongside one another with one common goal. Very thorough training program that is second to none and provides a solid foundation of skills.

Cons

Total compensations are capped and there are set "ranges" where you will be paid. You do not get a piece of the desk's PNL until you are more of a senior trader (4-5+ years) even if you make a large impact and have only been there for a few years.

Advice to Management

Focus on one goal at a time. It seems that there are sometimes a lot of jumbled ideas that struggle to keep attention.