Bemis Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Shirley, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Shirley, MA

Pros

Bemis is a company that truly cares about their employees! They want the very best for them and want to see each and every employee grow!

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company.

2. "Discrimination!"

I worked at Bemis Associates full-time

Pros

Facilities are decent and the benefits are good

Cons

Ownership drives management to favor younger attractive employees that will be seen as "cool" by customers. CEO makes you think he cares about his people but actually cares only about himself.

Advice to Management

Have the guts to tell the CEO he is wrong

3. "20 years plus"

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bemis is very generous company. The people for the most part are friendly,the pretty and the hansom are the exception. friends can be made here,working together will make that happen. Emphasis on safety is a plus.

Cons

Management seems to promote factions. There are a few, mostly the most common office and production riff. Training is sub par on both sides. The company president belittled an employee at a town hall meeting. As like another reviewer stated,i was also a witness to that. He also dropped the F bomb a few times at that meeting in mixed company.

Advice to Management

Wipe the slate clean with the value stream supervisors,

"Growing and Changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bemis has a solid reputation as an Employer of Choice in the Central Mass area. I believe it has to do with its caring culture, good jobs, exceptional benefits. Bemis takes good care of its people and provides career opportunities that allows people to take care of their families. I think we all benefit from their amazing medical plan benefits. I have benefited from their one-time tuition benefit for college dependents, and their generous match on my personal charitable giving. I have had opportunity for growth and training. When I am out in the community it is clear that as a Company we've made a big difference: United Way, Loaves and Fishes, Toys for Tots, Thanks-By-Giving Senior Luncheon, schools, libraries, local sports teams are just a few examples of our impact.

We are globally focused with local roots here in Shirley. Very little voluntary turnover allows us to build good teams.

Cons

We are growing! This is exciting, but can be exhausting. We have lots of initiatives we are trying to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Continue to get us aligned. Communicate more frequently about the most important items. Continue to raise the bar on what we expect from people in both their behaviors and capabilities. Sometimes we are slow to act in making tough decisions, sometimes favoring loyalty longer than we should. We are in a fast paced, highly competitive market and need all our people ready to meet these demands.

"Clicky, Nepotism....."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Fun if you are "in" the click.

Cons

It's unfortunate that Bemis is so clicky. They used to be such a good company. They definitely have a "cool kid" vibe and those who are not the "cool kids" or the "in" crowd get dumped on. The non-cool kids don't get promotions and their workload gets piled on and on (without recognition!) Most managers are barely qualified. Steve Howard desperately wants to be young and really only values young, beautiful people - the "cool" people. Their HR department is not there to help you. They are heartless and not at all an advocate for people to "come forward with any issues". They claim to be an open-door company but they act very much the opposite. Management's opinion of the current workforce is that they are crybabies and should be grateful to even have jobs. Management lacks human empathy. I witnessed an employee who was berated in front of the entire company by the owner and CEO, Steve Howard.

A bigger issue is that most managers don't understand how to use the ERP system and they are typically of no help to anyone who needs support. I've never worked anywhere else where management was so clueless (or just looked the other way). Nepotism is in full force at Bemis.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the folks that have been long-time loyal employees. Stop treating people badly Learn to have empathy.

6. "Feeling Used and Abused"

I worked at Bemis Associates full-time

Pros

Great benefits and interesting variety of products and applications.

Cons

Being a family business can be good but in this case it is definitely not. The Howard brothers know the “business” but lack people and empathy skills. I agree with another review where if you’re in “the click” crowd then life is good. I saw it first hand and one of the BEST things I ever did was disagree with management and speak my mind (diplomatically and professionally) as it helped me to see their true colors. In the end, the job itself was great and the people that worked for me we respected by me but the upper management team left a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Step down, replace yourself with qualified people from the industry but remain on the board.

7. "Spoiled for other companies"

Current Employee - Value Stream Process Engineer in Shirley, MA
    Current Employee - Value Stream Process Engineer in Shirley, MA

Pros

The people are awesome. The work is interesting, and the variety of products is amazing. We work with some really amazing companies.

Cons

There are far too many meetings and people use the reply all feature when they don't need too. Sometimes corporate politics show their face

8. "Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA

Pros

Flexible work hours, diversity in work tasks, open communication of the state of business, great culture and great people to work with.
    The customers that you work with here are some of the biggest and greatest brands in the world. Opportunity to travel and network is great!

Cons

Company is growing but opportunity for employees to grow with it have not always been there. Training is not always laid out but if you are assertive and champion for yourself and make the right connections you will be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with growing the business and making cool stuff.

9. "flat"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been an employee of Bemis for 6 years and while sales peaked just after the 2010 - they dropped shortly thereafter and are now back to the same level as in 2010 - thus flat growth.

Cons

The flat growth has lead to very modest bonus payouts and reductions in headcount. Behind the scenes there is a growing weariness with the lack of top line success and morale is low.

Advice to Management

Management structure and key people should be changed to bring in people that have been successful growing this type of business. The team should then be allowed to manage the company.

10. "On the floor guy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great family run business. They care about the employees. Awesome people work there. Small enough to have an impact but large enough to be prosperous. Good job security. Solid product. I really enjoyed my time there. Left for another position but still stay in touch. And would go back to work there if things don't turn out well at my new employer.

Cons

Took a pay cut to work with this company. Pay is OK but could be better. A bit off the beaten road in Shirley, MA. Walking between the two locations required climbing a HUGE staircase - but you get used to it.

Advice to Management

Not really much to say as far as advice goes. They family runs a good business, provides steady jobs, and gives back to the economy. Keep up the good work.