Bemis Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Shirley, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Shirley, MA

Pros

Bemis is a company that truly cares about their employees! They want the very best for them and want to see each and every employee grow!

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company.

2. "Ok company but needs improvement"

I worked at Bemis Associates full-time

Pros

Great Benefits and work flexibility

Cons

Had too many clicks and was difficult to use outside experience unless you are liked by already established social groups.

Advice to Management

Remove the click culture and trust in new employees experience outside the traditional Bemis way.

3. "N/A"

I worked at Bemis Associates full-time

Pros

Innovative, fun industry, global, family owned

Cons

Culture is weak, no clear growth opportunities

4. "Different Company experience based on your job and if you are in the "Golden Circle""

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has amazing financial wellness, physical wellness, and mental wellness programs that are best in class. Compensation is fair. Matching 401K. Fantastic health care benefits - again best in class. You will most likely make friends for life as there are some truly fantastic people that work at Bemis.

Cons

There are three types of jobs at Bemis and your experience with the company will be different based on your job and if you are invited to join the Golden Circle:

1. Customer facing - Sales, Marketing, Design, Customer Service. This type of job is where all of the energy for this company is going. If you take a job in this arena you will be promoted annually at the very minimum and if you are in "The Golden Circle" (more on this below) you will be promoted 2 or 3 times a year! The finances and drive of the company are focused here. The CEO is a sales person so his passion for sales has trickled down into every aspect of the business. The other Upper Management folks see that supporting sales and marketing and his passion in this arena will have them keep their job so they don’t try to get any resources into any of the other departments. They hire young pseudo athletes that will help encourage an atmosphere of young sporty people as the company image.
    2. If you are taking a union job - there are set rules around how you get different union jobs. You will never be part of The Golden Circle. You will most likely make great friends. Starting out you will most likely have to work third shift. You will be overlooked as Bemis does not really support the manufacturing environment. The union has some challenges with politics going on internally but they are working to fix this. You should make sure you understand how the union positions work. It will be almost impossible for you to leave the Union to take a non Union job at Bemis - it just isn't supported.
    3. Non Union supporting Manufacturing - Jobs in Facilities or Engineering. You will have a VERY slim chance at getting in the "Golden Circle" but if you are related to upper management or somehow get noticed (example join Crossfit classes) then you have a chance. Otherwise you will work really really hard and never get recognized and never get a promotion. Instead you will be rewarded with more work.

The Golden Circle at Bemis. At Bemis there is extreme favoritism and nepotism. Upper Management have spouses, significant others, or perhaps their children working for them or for the company and these people get promoted very often. The Golden Circle members may get promoted into a position at which they have no prior experience or relevant experience and it is a high level role. Folks that either befriend the Golden Circle or are related to the folks in this circle will get promoted and get to hang out and do fun activities both as work and outside work. (Bonding trips, excursions, etc). You may get a culture shock when you first start at how many people are married/related/dating each other. People that are a part of the Golden Circle will always put Golden Circle membership first instead of their job or what is right and fair. You see this most clearly in Human Resources. They know that they need to keep their boss happy so they will always put that first even if that is ignoring that someone in their Circle is not acting fairly or appropriately.

If you are someone where you expect everyone to be treated fairly and to be treated fairly in return, after about a year at Bemis you will start seeing how unfair things are and start to get disgruntled. You will see someone that started at the same time as you that has been promoted three times while you work about 5x harder and no one has given you a second thought other than your immediate boss who unfortunately is not part of the Golden Circle. At Bemis there was a promotion announcement that went out for about 10 people. Every single one of them was related or somehow connected to one of the Upper Management folks. This is what you will see on a regular basis. It is very discouraging and de-moralizing.

Also – if you do not embrace exercise and looking young and trim you may feel pressured to do so.

Advice to Management

Put the right people into Upper Management. Recent promotions from within into Upper Management/Executive positions did not choose the right people. People that took this role are the worst offenders for cronyism and show directly the results of someone that has no experience for the role they have taken. You need a team of Upper Management that feel supported to embrace conflict and debate and not feel like they will sacrifice their Golden Circle membership if they do not go along with the Executives. Don't fire or push out the upper management members that are going to question the status quo. Evaluate the recent promotions into Executive roles - perhaps they are no longer a good fit and should step down/into other roles.

Get rid of the nepotism and the Golden Circle. Support manufacturing - they are your bread and butter and the heart of your organization and you ignore them and their vast efforts. You are losing amazing people because you aren't recognizing their efforts simply because they aren't in one of the "glamourous" jobs.

Establish a higher level of professionalism in all that the company does.

5. "Discrimination!"

I worked at Bemis Associates full-time

Pros

Facilities are decent and the benefits are good

Cons

Ownership drives management to favor younger attractive employees that will be seen as "cool" by customers. CEO makes you think he cares about his people but actually cares only about himself.

Advice to Management

Have the guts to tell the CEO he is wrong

6. "20 years plus"

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bemis is very generous company. The people for the most part are friendly,the pretty and the hansom are the exception. friends can be made here,working together will make that happen. Emphasis on safety is a plus.

Cons

Management seems to promote factions. There are a few, mostly the most common office and production riff. Training is sub par on both sides. The company president belittled an employee at a town hall meeting. As like another reviewer stated,i was also a witness to that. He also dropped the F bomb a few times at that meeting in mixed company.

Advice to Management

Wipe the slate clean with the value stream supervisors,

"Growing and Changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bemis has a solid reputation as an Employer of Choice in the Central Mass area. I believe it has to do with its caring culture, good jobs, exceptional benefits. Bemis takes good care of its people and provides career opportunities that allows people to take care of their families. I think we all benefit from their amazing medical plan benefits. I have benefited from their one-time tuition benefit for college dependents, and their generous match on my personal charitable giving. I have had opportunity for growth and training. When I am out in the community it is clear that as a Company we've made a big difference: United Way, Loaves and Fishes, Toys for Tots, Thanks-By-Giving Senior Luncheon, schools, libraries, local sports teams are just a few examples of our impact.

We are globally focused with local roots here in Shirley. Very little voluntary turnover allows us to build good teams.

Cons

We are growing! This is exciting, but can be exhausting. We have lots of initiatives we are trying to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Continue to get us aligned. Communicate more frequently about the most important items. Continue to raise the bar on what we expect from people in both their behaviors and capabilities. Sometimes we are slow to act in making tough decisions, sometimes favoring loyalty longer than we should. We are in a fast paced, highly competitive market and need all our people ready to meet these demands.

"Clicky, Nepotism....."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA

I have been working at Bemis Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Fun if you are "in" the click.

Cons

It's unfortunate that Bemis is so clicky. They used to be such a good company. They definitely have a "cool kid" vibe and those who are not the "cool kids" or the "in" crowd get dumped on. The non-cool kids don't get promotions and their workload gets piled on and on (without recognition!) Most managers are barely qualified. Steve Howard desperately wants to be young and really only values young, beautiful people - the "cool" people. Their HR department is not there to help you. They are heartless and not at all an advocate for people to "come forward with any issues". They claim to be an open-door company but they act very much the opposite. Management's opinion of the current workforce is that they are crybabies and should be grateful to even have jobs. Management lacks human empathy. I witnessed an employee who was berated in front of the entire company by the owner and CEO, Steve Howard.

A bigger issue is that most managers don't understand how to use the ERP system and they are typically of no help to anyone who needs support. I've never worked anywhere else where management was so clueless (or just looked the other way). Nepotism is in full force at Bemis.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the folks that have been long-time loyal employees. Stop treating people badly Learn to have empathy.

9. "Feeling Used and Abused"

I worked at Bemis Associates full-time

Pros

Great benefits and interesting variety of products and applications.

Cons

Being a family business can be good but in this case it is definitely not. The Howard brothers know the “business” but lack people and empathy skills. I agree with another review where if you’re in “the click” crowd then life is good. I saw it first hand and one of the BEST things I ever did was disagree with management and speak my mind (diplomatically and professionally) as it helped me to see their true colors. In the end, the job itself was great and the people that worked for me we respected by me but the upper management team left a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Step down, replace yourself with qualified people from the industry but remain on the board.

10. "Spoiled for other companies"

Current Employee - Value Stream Process Engineer in Shirley, MA
    Current Employee - Value Stream Process Engineer in Shirley, MA

Pros

The people are awesome. The work is interesting, and the variety of products is amazing. We work with some really amazing companies.

Cons

There are far too many meetings and people use the reply all feature when they don't need too. Sometimes corporate politics show their face