Bemis Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
William F. Austen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance; location has low-cost housing; opportunity for advancement; mellow organization overall (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexibility with intern hours, worked with a lot of great people, loved my managers and peers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't understand what it's like in the departments, although they think they know everything (in 9 reviews)

• Unless you are from the fox valley, enjoy traveling or hiking there is not too much to around here (in 5 reviews)

1. "Basics Benefits of Bemis"

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

401(k) full match up to 8%
    Bonus Plans
    Tuition reimbursement program - (For perusing advanced degrees)
    Low cost of living area and great salaries.
    Plenty of available leisure activities outside of work.
    Great area to raise a family.

Cons

Not the best place to work if you are a fan of warm weather.
    Summer working hours not available.

2. "Mechanic"

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, decant pay,safe place to work

Cons

Poor scheduleing, no follow through on jobs or tasks a signed to many bosses trying to charge of the same project which leads to working in circles

Advice to Management

Try listing to the employee more

"Manager"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for the job and area is good.

Cons

Promotion of people who do not promote the values the company represent. Executive Leadership is disengaged, and have not performed an actual task in so long, it seems they forget that people are needed to perform the task (treated like a number). The culture is poor at best, and with a mix of several acquired companies; each culture from each acquisition is different and does not work well together. The focus is strictly placed on making money, and no focus is put into the people making the money. People are not involved in decisions, which affect them (hiring, promoting, projects selected, etc.). No time, or resources to accomplish the mountain of tasks placed on departments and people from all over the company. There are so many tasks needing to be done from the different segments (Quality, Service, Leadership, Sales, IT, etc.), and they do not communicate with each other, so the burden falls on individuals or departments to complete the unrealistic expectations. Of course all the departments want their items first, but provide no support to help get the items accomplished. The goals are unobtainable, and expectations to achieve the goals are unrealistic. No training for major ERP system changes (SAP). If you don't get it, too bad! Training is weak. Promotion of training, but once "trained", nobody supports the trained employee and expect the person to know exactly what to do for every situation. This includes items that can be very complex, with no support from the trainer (sink or swim mentality). Now, this may be exactly what you are looking for, and you can thrive in an environment like this. Then I encourage you to apply. This is not for me, and I am actively looking for a different job. I am looking for a job where culture is just as important as the bottom line. Where people matter, and the difference is noticed when walking around the company. There is a bleak outlook where I work, and several people are "jumping ship" at my location, because nobody from the executive leadership team cared to involve people in their decision making.

Advice to Management

Take away the "power hungry" people you have in the company. Evaluate yourselves, and the ones who work for you. Micro-managers are a thing of the past. You need to get with the times and be willing to change to what the generation coming into the workforce is expecting from management. Initiate a 360 degree review process, so we as employees have a fair look at our performance, without the bias of one person (my boss). Many companies are already doing this - Come into the 21st century. You will continue to lose people, including me! This may not bother you at all, but it should. You should care about the people working in your organization, because without them; Bemis is nothing. Quit focusing on the past, and move into the future!

4. "Machine Operator"

I worked at Bemis full-time

Pros

Fair Wages Used to have good insurance, now only fair

Cons

Management in need of communications training

5. "Innovative But Slow"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generaist in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generaist in Neenah, WI

I worked at Bemis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Bemis will provide you job security and lots of development opportunities. Great company with strong history and outlook. Highly innovative which makes it exciting to be a part of!

Cons

Minimal increases/promotions, slow to make decisions at all levels, and little to no action taken on low performers - just transfer to another area is their solution

Advice to Management

More speed is needed in making decisions

6. "Its an alright place to be"

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

Good pay, good employees, large company

Cons

management is out of touch

7. "Production supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bemis (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, great benefits, ok bonus incentive.

Cons

Not enough room to grow. Minimal to no salary increase.

8. "Engineering Co-op"

I worked at Bemis full-time

Pros

- Great people. It's refreshing to work somewhere where people enjoy coming to work.
    - Free sodas/coffee/snacks, often free lunch. I probably got free lunch 1-2 a week.
    - Able to move laterally to new departments, job shadow, and learn new skills within the company.
    - Flextime, based on your supervisor.
    - Great work/life balance.

Cons

- Weird division of departments make projects grind to a halt due to bureaucracy. This is made worse as some plants used different methods of organization.
    - Sharing R&D time with production planning. On one hand: great, you know your project will run well on real equipment. On the other, your ability to run a project is completely tied to who you know, who you can bribe with food, and the whims of the production manager. Get a pilot plant.

Advice to Management

Get your plant managers, engineering segment leaders, and business segment leaders together in a room and plan concurrently. Have your segment leaders explain what their needs and timetables are, and have the managers lay out what their capabilities are.

Get more pilot planning capabilities.

"Films converting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pauls Valley, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pauls Valley, OK

I worked at Bemis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People you worked with were nice and helpful.

Cons

crap upper management, don't promote, always looking to get rid of you if you aren't a brown noser

Advice to Management

treat your staff better, promote from with in, and listen to peoples ideas

10. "Good people, good job"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Fremont, OH
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Fremont, OH

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, lots of opportunity for an engineer to be hands on and make a difference. Good pay, good production metric-based incentives.

Cons

Management isn't well connected to what is going on in the factory. Corporate management doesn't seem to know what is going on.