Bemis Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 26, 2017

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William F. Austen

Pros
  • Good work-life balance; location has low-cost housing; opportunity for advancement; mellow organization overall (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexibility with intern hours, worked with a lot of great people, loved my managers and peers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't understand what it's like in the departments, although they think they know everything (in 9 reviews)

• Unless you are from the fox valley, enjoy traveling or hiking there is not too much to around here (in 5 reviews)

1. "Huge personal growth while working at Bemis"

Former Intern - R&D Co-Op in Neenah, WI
    Former Intern - R&D Co-Op in Neenah, WI

I worked at Bemis as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The engineers and scientists at Bemis are extremely knowledgeable and skilled, as well as very ready to help interns learn. Managers focus on personal development well, and helped me grow as a professional as well as an engineer. The co-op program also exposes you to leaders in the company, so you get to hear a lot of interesting perspectives about how the company functions, and on how to be successful as a professional.

Engineers engage in a lot of different projects, and have the opportunity to switch positions frequently. You can learn quite a bit over a few years, here.

Cons

There are some growing pains that have begun affecting the efficiency of how R&D works with manufacturing facilities, for scale-up trials and the like. There are many hoops to jump through, and communication can be spotty.

Advice to Management

Focus on pushing communication between manufacturing facilities and R&D. A great deal of time is wasted on engineers waiting on projects to go through manufacturing facilities. That makes quarterly growth difficult.

2. "Intern/Seasonal Help Accounts Payable"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Neenah, WI
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Neenah, WI

I worked at Bemis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

When first hired, I could have used a little more training and was definitely just thrown into things

Advice to Management

Provide more training upon hire and give more explanations of work

"Operator Assistant"

Former Employee - Assistant Operator in Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Operator in Trevose, PA

I worked at Bemis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great company of manufacturing. I enjoyed the job of being an operator assistant.

Cons

Overnight 12 hours 7pm to 7am

5. "Production Machine Operator"

Former Employee - Production, Shipping, Receiving, Inventory in Russellville, AR

I worked at Bemis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Done background check on company and yes they are a great on to work for and retire plus great team work .

Cons

Well for starters , there is nothing wrong or bad I can say , there doing a great job and having fun doing well at what they like to do .

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Inventory Control"

Former Employee - Inventory Control in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Inventory Control in Memphis, TN

I worked at Bemis (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for; could not wait to go to work every day!
    I loved my job.

Cons

Closure of Memphis Plant really hurt a lot of people.

"Innovative, Team Oriented, Strategically Aligned"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

Pros

Team oriented, leadership is strategically aligned on objectives, focused on process improvements, room for personal/professional growth, career opportunities, sustainable product and industry, down to earth managers/leadership

Cons

Due to size (60+ locations, 11 countries) communication and alignment can be a slight issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate to all levels and celebrate successes with the business and its customers.

"Bemis"

Former Employee - Business Process Improvement Manager in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Business Process Improvement Manager in Neenah, WI

I worked at Bemis (More than a year)

Pros

Strong financially. Solid knowledge of flexible packaging. Innovative packaging solutions.

Cons

Long hours required for certain positions.

"bag helper/bag dept."

Current Employee - Bag Helper in Hazleton, PA
    Current Employee - Bag Helper in Hazleton, PA

I have been working at Bemis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time goes by quickly.steady work easy to find your routine and complete tasks assigned to you.

Cons

forced progression..they can move you anywhere anytime..make you go to 12 hour shifts.move you to another dept.an a days notice..the favorites get treated great.while regular average workers get the crap end of the work.they can move you up to opetator anytime they see fit.even though you do not desire a job change.arrogant life long employees treat new people like garbage .yelling even screaming at them expecting them to know what they know.

Advice to Management

be honest..dont lull trainees into thinking they will have time to grow into the job.dont just throw employees into full workload alone when they are clearly not ready..also rules should be consistent for everyone.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Principal Development Engineer Dairy Business in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Principal Development Engineer Dairy Business in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Bemis (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company and great leadership. Very much a team atmosphere and the benefit are great. I would recommend Bemis to anyone. This is a great company to work for with great leaders.

Cons

I can not think of any real negatives. Just the location. The Fox Valley is a great place to raise a family and most of the locations for Bemis are in the Fox Valley. There is nothing bad to say about this company.

Advice to Management

I think everything it going well. The employees are engaged and the management team is onboard with what needs to happen to make the company great. There is nothing to complain about. From the hourly employees up to senior leadership.

11. "R&D Engineering Co-op"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Neenah, WI
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Neenah, WI

I worked at Bemis as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Tremendous amount of responsibility given to co-ops. There will always be menial tasks, as expected in any internship, however you can expect to be working on projects, or even taking lead, that are worth 10's of millions of dollars. Extremely collaborative and friendly environment.

Cons

Just the location. Great company in a very small town area (Fox Valley), which will be perfect for some but frustrating for others.

Advice to Management

Regular performance reviews for interns/co-ops would be a nice standard to implement, currently there is a highly variable level of feedback across managers.