Bemis Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William F. Austen

Pros
  • Good work-life balance; location has low-cost housing; opportunity for advancement; mellow organization overall (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexibility with intern hours, worked with a lot of great people, loved my managers and peers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't understand what it's like in the departments, although they think they know everything (in 9 reviews)

• Unless you are from the fox valley, enjoy traveling or hiking there is not too much to around here (in 5 reviews)

"Sexual Discrimination"

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice hourly people, benefits are stable

Cons

The worst place for women to work, you are literally treated like you are in the 50's. It is just a matter of time before they get a class action lawsuit in discrimination. Never seen so many managers with huge ego's and bullying as a leadership style

Advice to Management

Get with the times, know that women are a contributing species. Really try to find managers that are transforming, not tearing down. Really get with the times

"Non Caring Company"

Pros

Used to be a really good company to work for till they merged with Alcan

Cons

Customer Service in Hazleton, Pa was let go with little compassion from upper management. We had the choice of moving or taking the most awful severance pay ever. Your job is not safe unless you work in WI, fake you know what your doing because you have a degree from an Ivy League School and know how to cry when the time suits you, or you are a young person who can push out a senior person. This company does not care about you. stay Away!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. ethics, trust. Do you even know what that is? Your business decision affected a lot of people and families

"Management doesn't have a clue what is going on."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Hours are available for a regular paycheck.

Cons

management is not very informed, doesn't know what is going on as far as the job goes. Management plays favorites and there is no one to voice concerns to who will actually listen. As far as promotions, they will hire outside of the department and even out of the company and train that individual instead of hiring a honest, hard working employee who has been doing the job for 7 years. Wish there was upper management who cared enough to know what is going on and know that logistic wise, they are losing a ton of money. Money is being wasted on new signage and new parking lots for corporate but cant make the lots bigger for the semis for business purposes. Many semis lined up down the road because there is not enough room to enter.

Advice to Management

Get management out of the company who do not know what they are doing. Make sure if they are managing a team, they know how to operate the machinery themselves. There is so much going wrong on the inside and there is no way for employees to be heard other than dealing with a manger who doesn't know whats going on or going to HR who has no idea how operations work on the inside either. Is there a CEO who cares to know. Would be willing to discuss!

"Corporate Greed"

Current Employee - Press Operator in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

Money and benefits and 3 and 4 days off

Cons

Management is all about the all mighty dollar and does not care about its employees

Advice to Management

Bring back our incentives and everything else you took away from us after the strike!

"last resort"

Current Employee - Press Operator in Shelbyville, KY
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Shelbyville, KY

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a weekly paycheck. The insurance is adequate. They allow you all the OT you could possibly want. Ummmm.....there's honesty not much else.

Cons

If you work on the floor and don't have a college degree.....be prepared to pay the consequences for your short-comings! You will be bullied and discriminated against. Think management will help? Nope! They have set the example for the bullies to follow. They gave everyone their reviews. A week later they came back and posted a paper that showed everyone would get 1% less than the raise they were given. They also hire people in making nearly the same pay as those that have been there over 10 years. They appreciate nothing out of the "common folk."

Advice to Management

Wake up before you run this company into the ground! Start showing some concern and appreciation for those that work on the floor. Remember....if it weren't for us peons you wouldn't have a job.

"Plant Closing"

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

Was a great company to work for when it was Perfecseal Inc.( Before Bemis bought it.)

Cons

Plant is closing at the end of 2015

Advice to Management

Big mistake closing the PA plant and trying to relocate to WI.
    You will be losing all the experience, add new coating method is unproved.

"Administration"

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Parking - since most upper management leaders work a very short schedule, you can always find great parking close to an entrance. The bar for performance is set so low, it is impossible not to have some level of success. Many of us could stop coming to work for days without our managers knowing. That said, be careful to out perform your direct supervision as the company is political and outperforming your management is highly discouraged and is a means to a quick exit from the company.

Cons

Limited incentive to work beyond the scope of your own job because of the leadership dysfunction within the company. Challenging work is rare and is typically tasked to those employees who are part of a "good ole boys" network and frankly have the experience and knowledge to execute a plan. The company does a great job using the energy and efforts of our employees with a sense of entitlement and limited recognition and reward.

Advice to Management

Good luck - the company stopped listening to us about 2 years ago. Upper leadership continues to pound in and brainwash us to think a certain way and is sucking the creativity and energy from the people that actually work to get things done. There is low performing culture that exists here and most here are skeptical that we work for a company that has our best intentions in mind.

"Shift supervisor"

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good schedule and can get a lot of time off. Can work as much OT as you want because they are short staffed.

Cons

Not appreciated. Expected to know what happened while you were off. Short staffed. Pay for what you have to do. People I the floor make more than supervisors

Advice to Management

They need to appreciate their supervisors as they wear many hats and are the face of management. They need to realize that it is not fair for the people on the floor to make more money than the people who are responsible for them!

"Converting"

Current Employee - Converting Assistant in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Converting Assistant in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Nice paychecks/benefits
    -Fair amount of downtime
    -Simple tasks
    -You're lucky if you meet and get to know the cool people there

Cons

-Snitches/Sabotage/Clicks/Fake Individuals
    -Management picks favorites
    -Management spies on you to find any reason to fire you or put you on their bad list
    -Management has a bully mentality and likes to intimidate you
    -Management gossips about employees constantly
    -Management picks on the hardest-working employees [imo because they are humble (goes back to the bully mentality)] while saying nothing to the slackers
    -Management pretends to know everything, but have no clue what's actually going on on the floor (out of touch with reality)
    -Half the people I work with don't even do their jobs and get paid to just walk around and talk
    -Poor work ethic atmosphere depending on who you're grouped with (it's like high school when you were forced to do group projects with kids that didn't care/help at all; your grade will suffer and you will be forced to do all of the work while the slackers get credit for your hard work/effort)
    -There are individuals that will mess with the machines to sabotage you (this is completely counterproductive and just wrong on so many levels)
    -By the time you get to your off day, you're so exausted you'll want to sleep for 12+ hours
    -Not sure who to trust (people make up all sorts of rumors)
    -NO PROPER TRAINING
    -NOT A WORK ATMOSPHERE YOU'LL WANT TO PUT UP WITH FOR LONG

Advice to Management

Bemis is not a life/death matter. What we do on our off days is none of your business. Our lives do not revolve around Bemis, we have lives outside of Bemis too. You wonder why your hardworking employees walk out on you, it's because they have to put up with such immature behavior and they find that out fairly quickly. Sorry not sorry to spill the beans. Definitely need to treat your workers with more respect. Find qualified trainers to teach the job so that employees actually know their responsibilities. Also, find qualified managers to manage properly. And there's no reason to make things personal, just use constructive criticism like a normal manager, it's far more productive.

"Its a paycheck"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better than unemployment
    Large organization
    More than 150 years of existence

Cons

No interest in input from employees
    Very short-sighted strategic decisions
    Very un-informed upper management

Advice to Management

Spend time to learn your business before making strategic decisions