Bemis Reviews | Glassdoor

Bemis Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance; location has low-cost housing; opportunity for advancement; mellow organization overall (in 9 reviews)

• Easy, fast pased job with good pay and good benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management doesn't understand what it's like in the departments, although they think they know everything (in 9 reviews)

• Opportunities for advancement are limited outside of the Fox Valley, Wisconsin (in 6 reviews)

1. "It was a job"

I worked at Bemis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are good; most people are hard working and care about their work

Cons

Poor leadership; no professional development / do not nurture good talent; tried to consolidate too much too fast

Advice to Management

Problems in the organization start at the top.

"Bemis August 2017"

I worked at Bemis full-time

Pros

The benefits package is fairly good.

Cons

Bemis has become much more financially driven this year. While this may help stock value, it devaluates its employees. Opportunities for advancement are limited outside of the Fox Valley, Wisconsin. Corporate management is out of touch relative to actual life in the manufacturing facilities.

Advice to Management

What made Bemis great was its people, remember that. Take the time to understand what is truly happening in the manufacturing facilities and what their needs are. Cut the fat at the corporate level and ensure that manufacturing has what it needs and sufficient resources.

3. "Mechanic"

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, decant pay,safe place to work

Cons

Poor scheduleing, no follow through on jobs or tasks a signed to many bosses trying to charge of the same project which leads to working in circles

Advice to Management

Try listing to the employee more

"Basics Benefits of Bemis"

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

401(k) full match up to 8%
    Bonus Plans
    Tuition reimbursement program - (For perusing advanced degrees)
    Low cost of living area and great salaries.
    Plenty of available leisure activities outside of work.
    Great area to raise a family.

Cons

Not the best place to work if you are a fan of warm weather.
    Summer working hours not available.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Bemis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for the job and area is good.

Cons

Promotion of people who do not promote the values the company represent. Executive Leadership is disengaged, and have not performed an actual task in so long, it seems they forget that people are needed to perform the task (treated like a number). The culture is poor at best, and with a mix of several acquired companies; each culture from each acquisition is different and does not work well together. The focus is strictly placed on making money, and no focus is put into the people making the money. People are not involved in decisions, which affect them (hiring, promoting, projects selected, etc.). No time, or resources to accomplish the mountain of tasks placed on departments and people from all over the company. There are so many tasks needing to be done from the different segments (Quality, Service, Leadership, Sales, IT, etc.), and they do not communicate with each other, so the burden falls on individuals or departments to complete the unrealistic expectations. Of course all the departments want their items first, but provide no support to help get the items accomplished. The goals are unobtainable, and expectations to achieve the goals are unrealistic. No training for major ERP system changes (SAP). If you don't get it, too bad! Training is weak. Promotion of training, but once "trained", nobody supports the trained employee and expect the person to know exactly what to do for every situation. This includes items that can be very complex, with no support from the trainer (sink or swim mentality). Now, this may be exactly what you are looking for, and you can thrive in an environment like this. Then I encourage you to apply. This is not for me, and I am actively looking for a different job. I am looking for a job where culture is just as important as the bottom line. Where people matter, and the difference is noticed when walking around the company. There is a bleak outlook where I work, and several people are "jumping ship" at my location, because nobody from the executive leadership team cared to involve people in their decision making.

Advice to Management

Take away the "power hungry" people you have in the company. Evaluate yourselves, and the ones who work for you. Micro-managers are a thing of the past. You need to get with the times and be willing to change to what the generation coming into the workforce is expecting from management. Initiate a 360 degree review process, so we as employees have a fair look at our performance, without the bias of one person (my boss). Many companies are already doing this - Come into the 21st century. You will continue to lose people, including me! This may not bother you at all, but it should. You should care about the people working in your organization, because without them; Bemis is nothing. Quit focusing on the past, and move into the future!

6. "Machine Operator"

I worked at Bemis full-time

Pros

Fair Wages Used to have good insurance, now only fair

Cons

Management in need of communications training

7. "Innovative But Slow"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generaist in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generaist in Neenah, WI

I worked at Bemis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Bemis will provide you job security and lots of development opportunities. Great company with strong history and outlook. Highly innovative which makes it exciting to be a part of!

Cons

Minimal increases/promotions, slow to make decisions at all levels, and little to no action taken on low performers - just transfer to another area is their solution

Advice to Management

More speed is needed in making decisions

8. "Former employee at BAP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Bemis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work with. Alot of initiatives from corporate level that drives change.

Cons

But not with the local management team. No work life balance, they squeeze your life out, poor decision making.

Advice to Management

Empower your staff.

9. "Its an alright place to be"

I have been working at Bemis full-time

Pros

Good pay, good employees, large company

Cons

management is out of touch

10. "Production supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bemis (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, great benefits, ok bonus incentive.

Cons

Not enough room to grow. Minimal to no salary increase.