Ben E. Keith Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Hallam

Pros
  • Privately owned company that has great benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great pay, and they don't require an exact excuse if you need time off or is you need to leave a bit early (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Really hard work, 50- 60 hours a week, its your choice thou on how much overtime you want (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, work outside (winter), customers can be demanding (in 3 reviews)

1. "Manager- supervisor"

Current Employee - Department Manager Supervisor in Missouri City, TX
    Current Employee - Department Manager Supervisor in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at Ben E. Keith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, good balance between work and life at home, professionalism, promote within company ladder, job security, great salary and hourly start, compared to all previous jobs I ever had. yearly raise, the longer you stay. long term the more it is. is amazing that's all I can say. there is only a hand full of companies that are doing
    what BEK is doing for the employees.

Cons

honestly, I can't think of one, because the small things I don't like the other companies or job I have work for where terrible compare to Ben E Keith Foods. so my answer is there are NO CONS available in my book.

Advice to Management

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!, Don't settle for less and cut the bad fat and keep the good guys in, even if it cost a bit more. there are many people there with great heart and love for their jobs thanks to all the managers, supervisors and leaders, for keeping up with responsibilities and training.

2. "Weekend Store Stocker"

Pros

Worked well with my school schedule as I only worked weekends.

Cons

Higher management would set expectations with no knowledge of how much labor and time would go into it.
    Hours were pretty bad because it was weekends and holidays (35+ hours during weekends)

Advice to Management

Take a step back sometimes and understand that the weekend team is an important part of the company and not just the fall guys for all the problems that occur.

3. "Could have been better"

Pros

Benefits were pretty good in my opinion

Cons

Pay, management behavior could have been better

5. "order selector"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

Very hard work no family time

Advice to Management

Try to listen more

6. "Company review"

Pros

Pension and Profit sharing are awesome

Cons

Wages seem to be lower than the market

Advice to Management

Review the wages.

"Reccomend but only if you like working nights...."

Former Employee - Order Selector in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are basically you get paid by how many cases you select. Not hourly, not a case per average, but by how many cases you select yourself. It cuts down on people b.s.ing during work and cuts shift times down as well.

Cons

The only downside to working at Ben E. Keith is working nights. That's it. Everything thing else is relatively smooth and worth it.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to keep on doing what you're doing, the company is one of the best to work for in the state of Oklahoma

8. "Merchandiser/Sales Coordinator"

I have been working at Ben E. Keith part-time

Pros

Great company to work for with fair pay. The hours are flexible and you are able to build a network of contacts within the beverage industry.

Cons

I do not have any negative things to say about the company.

"Non-DOT driver"

Former Employee - Non-Dot Driver Trainee in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Non-Dot Driver Trainee in Tyler, TX

Pros

The money was good for a non-degree job.

Cons

Easy to get injured. Have to lift a heavy dolly load to pull and drag it over the curbs and some restaurant entrances have no-ramp hump entrances right at the door. Most of the floors are wet & slick. The force you have to use to pull the loaded dolly over the humps is so great, your non-slip shoes lose traction causing you to slip and fall with the whole dolly & load falling right on top of you. I only lasted a week, so I wasn't there long enough to sustain any major injuries. The trainer was telling me stories of workers falling off the ramps going out of the trucks & having to get stitches, but having to wait till the end of their shift to do so. If you go forward down the ramps with a heavily loaded dolly, it takes nothing to lose balance and lose the load and get injured, It didn't happen to me, but it almost did. I did temporarily injure my knee because of the gravity and speed going down the ramp. The only semi-safe ways of going down the ramp is to use a dolly with a brake and use the brake as you go down. Most drivers think they are too good for brakes, so they carry dollies without brakes. So the only way to go down the ramp semi-safely is to walk backwards with the dolly, not using the wheels, but using the plate of the dolly to slide down the ramp. The ramps are so skinny, there's only about half of an inch on both sides of your dolly load on average as you're going down the ramp. If a dolly wheel hits the side of the ramp hard enough to lose balance, you could lose your whole load and get injured, as well. The trainer said when it rains, the ramps get slicker. They're already slick. It feels like the ramp is ripping the tread off your shoe as you walk up and down it. There's just no way to stay safe on the job, and they refuse to lighten up on the dolly loads, making it impossible to lift the dolly loads over non-ramp entrances to where you're dropping yours loads off at. I've had many instances where I almost threw my back out trying to lift dolly loads over humps going into the stores, restaurants, etc. Some places would make you wait to unload causing your shift to last even longer.

Advice to Management

Get a key for every customer you have so you don't have to wait for anyone. Let your workers lift a load size they are comfortable with and give them plenty of time to work safely. Your workers shouldn't have to be superman to do such a basic-concept job.

10. "It's okay"

Pros

Benefits, some good coworkers and they pay for CDL and other misc

Cons

Have to split holidays with other shop employees. some people take things to seriously and nitpick the little things you do

Advice to Management

Don't be best friends with other coworkers and let them get away with some stuff and get onto the rest

11. "Truck Driver food dep."

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Ben E. Keith full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Automatic trucks
    Not very many pros

Cons

Only christmas day and thanks-giving day off
    Horrible management
    No communication
    Lots of unnecessary lifting and running
    Long hours
    No home/work balance
    Very high turn-over rate
    Pay is not worth the hard labor
    The open door policy doesn't actually work
    No Union

Advice to Management

There is a reason why this company keeps losing employees. Figure out why and stop it or at least try.