BenQ Reviews | Glassdoor

Conway Lee

1. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BenQ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. It provided very good working surroundings to employees
    2. This company is suitable for person who have a family. You can balance your life and your jobs easily.

Cons

1. the products do not sale very well
    2. there is just little innovation for products

Advice to Management

need innovation.

May 23, 2016 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. I assume this is not for the BenQ America division as we do not have that job title in our organization. Culturally, BenQ as an organization values work life ... More

2. "Adapt to Western Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Plano, TX

I have been working at BenQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BenQ is a great company to get your start in. Like any corporation, there is lots of red tape, processes and politics that can prepare any newcomer to the world of business. The benefits are great. The ability to own certain areas of your job allow you to grow, but only to a certain degree.

Cons

Management has no idea how to lead a marketing team. No direction, and no room to grow further. Constant micromanaging on every task you do. Always told to do something and never given any feedback.

Advice to Management

Digital marketing takes time, planning , patience and strategy. Invest more in your marketing team and not your sales team.

3. "Needs Guidance and Help"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at BenQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool products. Great mix of personalities.

Cons

Everything is disorganized. There are 20+ people crammed into a 1200 Square foot office. I couldn't send a text message without 10 people knowing. The company is a multi-billion dollar company and it has the weakest budgets I've ever been around. Everyone knows it takes money to make money. Clearly they do not. They don't know how to lead a sales organization. They think every marketing person is plug and play (because they all do the same thing). They promote people to positions they are not qualified for and don't know how to manage talented people.

Advice to Management

Go talk to any company on the same street as you (about 5 fortune 500 companies) and ask them how it works for them. I promise, they will tell you the following:
    - We help our employees succeed by giving them training in areas they are weak. Allowing them to thrive in areas they are strong.
    - Provide a fantastic work environment.
    - We pay our talent a real wage.
    - We are proactive, instead of reactive.
    - We have actually thought about what we are going to do before doing it.
    - We know how to use our CRM properly.
    - We don't make our teams coordinate all their efforts with HQ across the globe.
    - We get out of the way of talented people.
    - Our leadership knows how to address a problem when it arises.
    - We tell our interviewees the truth in job interviews.
    - Our leadership team is passionate about what we are doing and shows it everyday. They thank their employees for hard work. They see them as the subject matter.

"We don't hire smart people and tell them what to do. We hire smart people so they can tell us what to do" is the motto the leadership team should live by.

4. "Specialist"

Former Employee - Green Product Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Green Product Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at BenQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. It provided very good working surroundings to employees

Cons

1. the products do not sale very well
    2. there is just little innovation for products

"Sales Administration"

Former Employee - Sales Administration in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Administration in Irvine, CA

I worked at BenQ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to wear many different hats. Always something new to learn. Able to challenge yourself everyday

Cons

lack of communication within the workplace causes high levels of stress. lack of employee satisfaction

May 23, 2016 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for your comments. As the new Director of HR here at BenQ America I certainly do understand the culture of the past and hope you would consider us in the future. Our employee satisfaction ... More

"Good people, bad leader"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Irvine, CA

I have been working at BenQ full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nimble company, loyal staff, enjoyable workplace

Cons

Bad leadership, Asian management, no confidence in senior leadership

Advice to Management

Dictator style went out of fashion years ago...

7. "Full-time"

I worked at BenQ full-time

Pros

Hard working, dedicated, team oriented people who truly want the company to succeed.

Great products with a willingness to expand into new areas such as Bluetooth speakers and gaming accessories.

Willingness to explore new strategies to drive the business

Cons

Turnover coupled with key positions not being filled places added stress on the team. This combined with an excessive amount of meetings can lead to early burnout

Advice to Management

Fill key positions, trust your team to do the job that they are hired to do. Limit meetings / conference calls

8. "Need Focus"

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at BenQ (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Location
    Cool Products and Services

Cons

No Organization
    Bad Leadership
    Doesn't Understand their role in the market

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees
    We aren't head counts, we are specialists

"Great potential, but a lot of work needed"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at BenQ full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products are great and there are some exciting opportunities in the future.

If you are fresh out of college, this is a great place to get some experience in the consumer electronic manufacturer world.

Most of the people are great and are very easy to get along with.

Cons

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only.

The direction of the company seems to change every 6 months which makes it hard to implement long term plans.

Most decisions are based on short term fixes instead of long term sustainable solutions. Metrics & numbers drive most decisions here, which is understandable, but there isn't any deviation from them in favor of longer term solutions to increase the health of the business.

A lot of internal conference calls to go over the same information ad nauseam coupled with a lot of micromanaging from the top down creates a culture of CYA versus doing meaningful work that brings value to customers.

Advice to Management

Compensate your people according their market rate. It's hard to hold onto good people when you don't pay them their worth. Get the right people people in place on the leadership team to help steer the ship and stop micromanaging.

10. "Overall...Not Bad"

I worked at BenQ (More than a year)

Pros

While at BenQ, I had the opportunity to be a part of many new and exciting programs and opportunities that helped drive more eyes to the brand. While some products struggled, there were others that put the company in the forefront of their industry.

Overall, the people made it a great experience. There were lots of good attempts to unify the company outside of work, such as after work events and holiday parties.

At the time, there were many areas of growth occurring, primarily in gaming, and with the new audio product that kept things fun. There were/are opportunities for those not in higher leadership to give input and contribute real value to bettering the company and its revenue goals.

Cons

All of the above being said, there were a few moments of tension due to those who were easily stressed and quite a bit of turnover in Sales for reasons unknown. There were also a few moments of micro-managing which occurred.

I would say the biggest turn off was easily the pay. For the amount of work that is expected, the given salaries do not equate. And the raises are somewhat minuscule.

Advice to Management

The best advice I could offer would be to offer better compensation to employees. While it wasn't the reason that led me to leave the company, I'm sure it played a hand in the reasoning for others.

Jun 13, 2016 – Director of HR and OE

Thanks very much for your review. As the new Director of HR and OE I value this input and know it will help us in the future. As an organization we value our community and work life balance. We ... More