Bench Craft Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Bench Craft Company President & Owner Charley Cobb
Charley Cobb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The base salary is awesome with lots of cash bonuses and also commission (in 6 reviews)

• Cash Bonuses were nice while they lasted (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They will feed you so many lies and the next day let you go (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely high pressure to make a sale with very little training (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good pay, nice office, sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. Base is normal but after you add in the cash and end of month bonus, it's pretty good money. Office is nice, lots of parking, easy to find.

Cons

Mini sales floor next to main floor is pretty sad- no windows, just a boring space. High pressure to get sales quickly.

Advice to Management

Fix the small sales floor, raise grab amounts.

2. "Better to be lucky than good or hard-working here"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The fact there is a salary is good for peace of mind. There are raises to be had if you are fortunate enough to luck into enough deals. What you're selling generally are good deals. You get your own desk and computer to work from.

Cons

Extremely high pressure to make a sale with very little training. Constant yelling and cussing from the manager. Employees who have been there talk behind your back when they think you aren't there or able to hear. Manager will give you a hard time for taking breaks you are entitled to.

Advice to Management

Stop periodically yelling and cursing at everyone. It doesn't help anything, and sometimes the potential customers on the phone can hear you shouting curse words and it makes them laugh and hang up. Don't give employees a 'whip crack' when they are on their personal breaks, they are entitled to those breaks. Spend some time actually training people during work hours instead of asking new hires to come in before their shift just to train.

3. "If you can sell you get paid"

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

You get paid if you sell

Cons

Not a whole lot don't

4. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun office environment - music playing and good team environment.

Cons

Zero training was involved. The manager gave me a script and put me on the phones on my first day. They were not necessarily clear during the interview process that I would be on the phone all day, making over 200 calls to people who do not want to purchase advertising.

Advice to Management

Train your sales reps rather than just putting them on the phones right away. Be clearer during interviews about the high degree of cold-calling.

"Typical Telemarketing Job"

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

Chance to make a lot of money if you have great skills on the phone.

Cons

No room for error otherwise you're going to be fired.

6. "Avoid, unless you are cutthroat."

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

Cash Bonuses were nice while they lasted.

Decent hourly wage

Cons

Large groups of candidates are hired, with most fired or quitting by the end of the week.

Managers are very loud and use extremely obscene language toward salesmen for everything from low sales numbers for the day, hearing laughter and thinking the sales staff are slacking off, to the slightest mistake.

Worst insults that I've ever heard a manager say to an employee.

Cash Bonuses are offered after every sale, but 2 rules come into effect after you are out of training, aimed at taking your cash bonuses away if your sales are under what the managers want them to be.

Cash bonuses can disappear for the entire sales floor if the higher ups are unhappy.

Golf courses are recycled very frequently there, so a new course for you to start calling around may have just been worked by a higher up salesman the week before, meaning many businesses that you call are angry because they've already been pitched this and said no the first time.

Advice to Management

Treat your sales staff better and stop yelling/cursing at them.

"Not great with some great benefits"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a suite at the Moda Center for employees to use for events. They have a company tab at the bar down the road from the office. They give raises pretty quick and of decent size. Full benefits and holiday parties with cash prizes. Some of the designers are good, definitely a group anyone can fit in with.

Cons

Very focused on quantity of quality, they won't get rid of bad designers. No connection with clients aside from one or two emails, very much "if you like it let me know, if not I'll change it" instead of "Here are a couple ideas based on your website etc." You'll use Corel instead of Adobe cause it's cheaper. There's no real reward for hard work or skill. Out of date database. There's generally no interaction between the sales and art dept. Also, they charge clients credit cards without with notifying the client and the art dept. has to deal with the fallout.

Advice to Management

Pay the design team more, use graphic design industry standards. Pay for Adobe.

Bench Craft Company Response

Sep 20, 2017 – Director of Employee Relations

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're happy to hear that you appreciated the benefits while you were with us. We agree that the database needs work, which is why we're currently... More

8. "......"

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

Laid back place that is it

Cons

Very unprofessional, no advancement at all

9. "Scam"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Edward the Manager of this location is nice.

Cons

They hire anyone off the street and expect you to make 400+ phone calls a day to people who don't want to deal with you. Total scam.

Bench Craft Company Response

Sep 20, 2017 – Director of Employee Relations

While we're glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Edward, we're a bit confused that you call us a scam.
    We expect our reps to make 200 calls per day to businesses surrounding their course. While... More

10. "Sales Rep"

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

good money if you can sell your soul over the phone.

Cons

terrible management, no breaks given, high pressure sales, you give the same spiel everyday for 8 hours

Advice to Management

Have an hour of role play per person each day to teach how the spiel should be delivered. Don't just expect people to hit the ground running when you put them in a numbers driven sales environment.