Bench Craft Company Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Bench Craft Company President & Owner Charley Cobb
Charley Cobb

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The base salary is awesome with lots of cash bonuses and also commission (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, fun place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You get a call from Home Office to let you go, and management won't even look up when you bring up the conversation (in 8 reviews)

• phone calls from corporate everyday (in 5 reviews)

1. "I read 50+ Posts Winners take away all excuses/Losers find any excuse"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-This company helps small businesses grow by placing them in front of their target audience for next to nothing (I am a small business owner) anyone that receives a call for this offer should be grateful.
    -Training and standards: CSM of our NCO class said "Garbage in garbage out what you put in is what you get out of it!!" If you are a passive learner you fail while active succeed I approve of the "trail by fire" of training, sitting in the ivory tower of theory accomplishes nothing while action accomplishes all.
    -Team oriented: If you are a team player you would understand success and failure is dependent on all team members striving for excellence naturally the cream rises to the top, I am grateful those who don't strive for excellence leave it keeps the environment vibrate..ahhh the smell of excellence!
    -Actively engaged: When you are actively engaged in each conversation you will do all you can to add value to potential clients and learn from previous phone calls fail, fail, fail <<<stepping stone of success. Fail>reflect>learn> succeed.
    -Luck: When preparedness and opportunity meet.
    -Drive: The will to win, strive, learn and succeed this company is exceptional if you have the drive.
    -Positive attitude: Simply put, if your attitude stinks so do you thoughts, words and actions, positive attitude accomplish the mission, negative attitudes quit.
    -Pay: E>P>I>C wish I found this place 13 years ago.

Cons

No cat in the office to pet while making phone calls, my chair doesn't massage me, my coffee gets cold when its on my desk (I know weird) and we don't get to pet a pony during lunch. There are no cons.

Advice to Management

Exceptional training Pat and Matty are always there to help and answer all questions, environment provided is appreciated, you all are always on top of it frankly keep it up!

2. "Stay Away"

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

Normal work hours most of the time. You have weekends off.

Cons

This was seriously the worst job I have ever had. If you enjoy absolutely no training on the product you are selling, cold calling businesses all day and trying to get them to buy an advertisement on a golf course, and always being worried about if you are going to be fired then this could be the job for you. Not only are you trying to make sales off of cold calls, you have to do it with everyone around you yelling out curse words. I had multiple businesses hear people cussing in the background and ruin any chance of a sale. They also don’t care at all if you are sick. If you get sick and miss work they will fire you and say you didn’t meet sales goals. In the time I was there I watched multiple new hires come in and between those new groups and my group there was only 3 people out of maybe 20 people that excepted the job. There are too many jobs out there to work for this terrible company. There is a reason the reviews are so bad for them. I just wish I took the time to look at them before I wasted my time. Don’t take this job unless you are absolutely desperate and continue looking for new employment.

3. "It's not for everyone!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reston, VA

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people in my office were great! They were all very supportive and helpful. They pushed me to be better and gave me some advice on how to make my calls even better. My supervisor Julie is an incrediable woman! She is the heart of that office, and she works so hard. I hope they know how amazing she really is and how much she truly does do. I can't thank her enough for all of the pep talks and the help. As for people complaing about training... I mean, it's pretty self explanatory. You get on the phones, call people, and pitch the sale. Doesn't get any more clearer than that. It's just not for everyone, and I personally struggled here.

Cons

I had a really hard time at this company, it's not for everyone. Not everyone can sell! That doesn't make the company bad. I did feel like the sales pitch it's self was way too long. Although the people in my office were nice, I just didn't feel like they really took things too seriously, which is why it was easy for me to not really give it my all at the beginning. I began to hate it, it was frustrating, and I was always worried about getting a call from corporate telling me to leave. I need a job more stable than that. I don't want to have to stress about paying bills beause I may of had a bad week or so and now i'm worried about getting fired. This was just not the place for me. I tried to tell them that I just wasn't into it, but I was talked into staying. Being the person I am, I am not a quitter so I really did want to be successful here, it was just too frustrating, the pressure got the best of me, so I left. I don't agree with the pitch, I don't agree at the fact that some people pitch deals way to high for their own personal gain and the ad itself isn't worth the amount sold for. I am an honest person, and I feel like there are a lot of dishonest things happening here.

Advice to Management

I know that they give chances because they took one on me. Even when I wasn't selling enough, they still kept me and tried to help me. I guess my advice would be to loosen up the pressure a little, and maybe try to revise the pitch to something a little less. No one wants to hear us ramble on about things that they really don't care about, and things that don't pertain to their businesses discription. Also, quit letting people get away with whatever they want. I mean, doesn't being honest mean something? Just because said person is making the company money doesn't mean they're doing a great job! They're ripping these people off and you know it. Don't turn a blind eye, keep the rates low where they should be and don't try to get them to double the amount. That's where the bad reviews are coming from. They feel scammed, and I can't blame them. There is definitely a lot to be worked on with this company, but regardless, I wish them all the best of luck, and I stil thank you for the opportunity!
    Also, one more thing; I had the hardest time cashing their checks. No one would do it.... and I thought that was a little odd as well. I don't like the fact that they don't offer direct diposit. Also weird. :) Just thought I'd throw that out there!

4. "Absolute terrible place to work"

Pros

Non, non, non, non, non

Cons

Everything, even the building smelled bad

"What a Joke"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promise you a salary of 2700 per month

Cons

Training? What training? This is the most destructive company I have ever worked with. The "manager/trainer" is completely uneducated. (Minneapolis location) The manager told me to be there at 0740, I show up at said time, the manager shows up at 0800, I was told to be there early because "hungry workers get there early". Companies that push trainees out within a week is not utilizing any intelligence on their part. If you recently got hired there and/or are thinking of applying to this company, I would highly encourage you to think again. This company is a scam and after reading numerous reviews on numerous sites I believe this to be true.

Advice to Management

You need to take the whole person concept approach and rethink your strategy on even being a company. Make sure that you're hiring officials have a human resources degree and also that your managers are trained to be trainers

"Not a great career move"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being offered a position for employment.

Cons

Zero guidance in training from the start.

Advice to Management

Develop a master trainer or training manual for all locations.
    I was given employment and on day 1 I was told to be there at 7:30. I waited 15 minutes before my boss showed up. He unlocked the door to let me and the other new hire in and then said he would be back.
    About 8:15 we received the new hire paperwork to fill out. After that he said he wanted us to listen to the current sales reps and take notes on how they talk to businesses.
    After lunch we were given a sales script and a golf course. We were then told to look up business and start calling.
    Both myself and the other new hire were kind of clueless as to what to do, or what to say.
    Reading a script with crossed out sentences in it made it hard to follow. I then typed out the script to read off of it for myself.
    In total, our first day (9.5 hours) were given about 10 minutes of our managers time with zero feedback or training.
    During Day 2 we were both told to make 200 calls for our lack of efforts the day before. Still without any training, we started making phone calls.
    By lunch time, nothing we did was good enough.
    I explained my frustration about this process of training and he seems to think it worked for the 4 others in the office, it should work for us.
    He said he doesn't invest much time into training, because of the high turnover.
    That alone was enough to feel that he did not want to invest any time into someone who was willing to do the work with the right guidance.
    This was by far the most frustrating employment experience of my life.
    Advice would to be to establish a decent training method vs here's the phone.
    I feel the company would be good to work for if the manager actually gave us much credit in the beginning.

"Don't Believe Positive Reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

Easy to get to office. Relaxed dressed code.

Cons

Training is horrible, and then you get canned early on, and are clueless to why. Cliquish environment. Outdated way to do business and make calls. Sales team doesn't have extension numbers. (You yell out the persons name on phone, and no one can remember who they called by name, so caller is frustrated when they finally (if ever) get to the person.) You must work overtime or you get looked down upon. Turnover is unbelievable.

The worst experience of my life. If you don't have so many sales in 4 days, the 5th day you are let go. You get a call from Home Office to let you go, and management won't even look up when you bring up the conversation. He just keeps typing, ignoring you, he is so used to it.

Advice to Management

Replace management with someone without a chip on their shoulder. Quit giving your favorites sales to keep them on board!

"Can you sustain 200 dials minimum per day?"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a sweat shop...if you really need a job badly try it. You won't last long if you don't sell anyway.

Cons

Total scam! You get burned out on this "opportunity" by lunchtime the first day! Turnover is incredible...they advertise daily because they HAVE to in order to maintain any butts in the seats.

Advice to Management

Measure talk time vs. # of calls. You get what you track.

"Not Reliable"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Building is Nice

Cons

Worse training ever ! They will fire you over the phone in a quickness! The Managers walk around saying if you don't make a sale today Corporate will fire you instead of motivating you and tell you what direction to take ! I will not Recommend nobody to work at this place ! Do not quit your job to work here its not reliable !

"Don’t waste your time"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other employees in the office were nice. The office was also not aesthetically the worst office I’ve been in.

Cons

No training. Managers are very/overly critical if you don’t close sales. Seriously do NOT waste your time here. Unless you are closing 10 sales a week they will constantly threaten to fire you. Job security is a complete joke to this company.

Advice to Management

Train your employees and give them a chance!