Bench Craft Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bench Craft Company President & Owner Charley Cobb
Charley Cobb

Pros
  • The cash bonuses are nice if you actually get them (in 5 reviews)

• Great pay, great benefits and great company atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I honestly that I would get a full week to showcase my sales ability, but once I got to work I was immediatley let go (in 5 reviews)

• High turnover, go 2 days with no sale, no need for you (in 4 reviews)

1. "Upward Mobility"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked with the company for 3+ years and have seen a lot of upward mobility. BCC is growing rapidly, even being as established as it is, and employees are reaping the benefits of it. If you work hard and grind, management will notice and promote you to training, recruiting, etc. Charley is involved and knows his employees. There is a family atmosphere around Bench Craft and it's great.

Cons

Not a job for lazy people looking for an easy paycheck. This is an aggressive sale and you have to work for it.
    Bad reviews can sometimes hurt your sale.

Advice to Management

A better process for getting proofs to customers fast so they don't back out

2. "Run while you can..."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington, TX

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'll start by saying I worked here an entire year, and that's more than most of their past and present 1500+ employees can say. I have a much stronger view than most of these reviewers.

First and foremost, they'll hire just about anyone because they're desperate, so if you're looking for a quick $700 for sitting in cubical eating cheetos, this is the place do it. The training is practically nonexistent, so you won't have to worry about someone standing over your shoulder. Consider this a short vacation from unemployment!

You'll be left in awe when you hear about the pay structure and benefits package, as it's 100% too good to be true. You'll be chasing your "raises" the entire time, and the insurance is not only unaffordable, but you can hardly find any local providers that will accept it. Not that you can use these benefits anyway, because you're threatened with your job/salary every single time you try to make an appointment, have an emergency, or even if you have a child.

The hours are great, but if the manager is in a bad mood or his "office number" is down, it doesn't matter how much you've sold, you're expected to stay as late as 7pm with absolutely zero notice.

There's a great opportunity to make friends at Bench Craft, but they'll all drop like flies as your progress in your "career", and you'll basically learn that talking to nobody is the best way to go.

If you like drugs (of all sorts), this is definitely the place for you. People wheel and deal all day long. If you get caught, just pay boss man a bill and he won't fire you. He's on it too, so it makes sense, but he has to keep up his image for corporate so you're TOTALLY safe. You'll even get the best golf course projects because all enemies stay close together here.

Cons

So this job isn't easy. Throw every past sales experience out the window because this is completely different. I never hit less than they're salary qualifier which is $12,600. If you do not hit this number, they'll fire you. If you do not seem like you'll hit this number, they'll fire you. If you hit this number or more, you'll wish every day that they'd fire you. The pressure here isn't the same as the sales office you came from. Here, you have a 5 foot tall, 27 year old manchild screaming at you as if he was with your mother at conception, in front of literally everyone. Loud and hostile arguments take place outside your cubicle all day long, affecting every conversation you have with potential buyers.

Today is more important than tomorrow, or the next day. You'll end up burning all of your leads every single day, because that is what is expected of you.

Half of the golf courses are 100% problems contracts. Many of the golf courses you'll work are either in the middle of suing the company, they are denying the products and have been for your years, and they still make you sell ad slots on said products. If you have morals and choose to walk away from such a course, you'll be fired. This company takes pride in bending the industry rules, screwing businesses over and letting the attorneys handle it later. I was asked several times to do something illegal, as just about everyone is every single day.
    If you have a conscience, do not work for this company.

There is no room for advancement here, as the manager is fairly new and if you try to outshine him, he'll make sure you don't for much longer. Everyone you work with is a master manipulator, and there's a constant game of thrones being played. If you're the favorite, you're the one making money this month.
    If you are black/hispanic, you will likely not make it more than a week here. In my experience, they were only hired to make extra dials, that way management can make use of your callbacks, pipeline, and emails when you are fired the next week, and they can't be accused of discrimination.

You will never make more than probably $50,000 in one year at Bench Craft, and that's if you're an allstar. This works very similarly to MLM or a pyramid scheme. You sell a business one product on one golf course to a business, then the next day the manager will call them back, tell them everything they want to hear, and then they sell them 5 more products, but you get zero credit for those deals. Don't worry about renewing your clients either, they'll hate you and Bench Craft within 3 weeks of their purchase, because management will call them from home office after that and try to sell them MORE bogus products. Your cute little $375 deal turns into $3,750 for 4 more people above you. From what I've seen salary wise, just about everyone is making 23% of each sale, and Industry standard is 25%. You could do this job for yourself from a closet and make more, but they would never want you to learn that.

There is constant chaos in the office. Whether it's the electricity/internet going out, the drunk and high people screaming at each other across the room, the guy that overdoses and gets stretched out to an ambulance every other week, or the Miley Cyrus song being played in the cube next to you, it's never easy to focus in this office.

For the most part corporate knows what's going on here, but you will be told to lie often, and you'll be told to shoot down 100+ phone calls from corporate everyday.

The sales managers at home office call all day long asking to talk to different reps, some are nice and direct, others threaten you and make you feel lower than scum. They have made several individuals literally cry.

Lunch breaks are cut in half whenever the manager feels his daily number won't be met, and sometimes you do not get a lunch at all. They'll just buy pizza and make you eat in your cube. Smoke breaks are at 10 and 3, but those can be taken as well. All depends on the mood of the manager.

Ironically, the recruiters here sell you in a very similar way that the reps do, and mainly because they were previously sales reps, so be prepared to be sold a load of crap in this interview. If you are taken to the back to see the cubicles, definitely take in how miserable everyone looks. That's you in 3 months, if you make it that. You probably won't but you get my point.

The reviews of this company and their services speak in volumes, and after watching the gears in motion and meeting half of these salesman myself, I can honestly say that the majority of these reviews are %100 accurate. They make your job very hard, as it's 2017, scams are all the new rave, and people are getting smarter. These reviews cause you to waste hours on clients because you get to the close and they've already read your reviews and disappeared.

The depression that goes along with this place is unreal, and it's pretty much the same for every employee. You're treated like garbage when you do good, and treated like trash when you do badly. You're forced to sell valueless product to struggling business owners and there is not ONE day that you'll go home feeling good about yourself.

The point is that this job led me to a suicide attempt, anti-depression medication, a therapist and a quarter life crisis, and that's coming from the previously top producing sales rep. Do not work for this company. Just don't.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans, not children. Do not lie to them, do not discriminate against them, and do not force them to break the law any longer. Tell them what they're really getting into.

"Fun times at BCC"

Former Employee - Sales Recruiter in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Recruiter in Portland, OR

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity is legit and is what you make of it. Production based job... if you don't sell, ya fired. But if you sell, don't over think things, and wanna make a decent income.. BCC has it. Paid on time, every time, and well. I sold for a yr and recruited for 1 1/2 yrs. I used this as a stepping stone for a better fit but wouldn't have gotten my new position w out BCC help. Not an environment for weak minded people. Don't waste your time if you lack confidence. VP, sales managers, and trainers will keep you motivated and on pace.. AGAIN, not for weak minded people OR softies..

Cons

STRICT schedule.. you are required to be there mon-fri 8-5.. normal inside sales roll though. For the entire company nation wide, training is OK at best. You either get it or you don't. A lot "status" type positions.. some employees think they have "arrived".. you're not that cool :)

Advice to Management

Train people on the position they take before giving them so much slack. If it's in your control of course... Hire some new receptionist, their attitudes suck. Make certain departments aware of who makes their paychecks possible. It's a sales job that can lose deals within seconds, some people should learn that.

5. "Great company to hone your skill set and grow your experience!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, set schedule, cash bonuses, free access to Moda center for all events year round, family like culture (cash prize contests and catered lunches to name a couple), sports minded, family run, well-established, and opportunities to be promoted relatively fast.

Cons

Maybe restructure or tweak the vacation package

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, good hours, good management

Cons

If you don't make sales you don't have a job

"If you can't sale, bail."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay, Halarious employees, overall great team. The opportunity is yours.

Cons

High turnover, go 2 days with no sale, no need for you. Hired the wrong sale reps in the past, and now other companies think it's a scam.

Advice to Management

Bring Riley to Omaha location for further review.

"Please Read This!!!!!!"

Former Employee - "Project Coordinator" in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - "Project Coordinator" in Reston, VA

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to smoke and drink on the job with our manager. Wore sweatpants everyday. Working buzzed. That's pretty much it.

Cons

400-500 cold calls a day. micromanagement. must make 2-3 sales a day or else you get fired. you are essentially reading a word trac with each cold call and then tricking people into getting their credit card number and then the said "product" the customer somewhat agrees to purchase never ends up on the golf course. HR in Portland knows EXACTLY the type of pyramid scheme they are running. every employee didn't have to ask, they just knew and were told that our job was all a lie. you get commission for a month and then you "owe 10 sales to the house" so you must sell 11 to actually see commission. an average day is going through yellow pages or google business and cold calling businesses saying you work for one of their local golf courses.

Advice to Management

Stay employed so that you will be taken down together by legal action "customers" and employees have already filed (:

Bench Craft Company Response

Mar 2, 2017 – Director of Employee Relations

Thank you for taking a moment to review your experience with Bench Craft. While 2-3 deals a day would be phenomenal, it is not the expectation. Newer reps are expected to sell consistently and ... More

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have to enter 5 words so NONE!!!!!!!

Cons

The Kansas City branch is where I was. I have over 15 years of sales experience and took a chance with this company. They have NO loyalty. You get no vacation or sick pay. It was agreed upon when I took the position that I would need 2 days off for a previously planned vacation. When that time arrived I was fired. TRY SOMETHING ELSE! DO NOT TAKE A POSITION WITH THIS COMPANY!! Oh and it's February 17th and I still have not received a W2!

Advice to Management

If you're making decisions for this company you should be ashamed!

Bench Craft Company Response

Mar 2, 2017 – Director of Employee Relations

Thanks for taking a moment to review your experience. We offer both paid vacation (after 1 year) and paid sick time (after probation period) to full time employees. Additionally, all W2s were sent ... More

"Telemarketer"

Current Employee - Telemarketer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Telemarketer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bench Craft Company full-time

Pros

Beautiful office inside and out

Cons

Employees drank vodka on the Job along with champagne. Didn't know it was a telemarketing position until I showed up. Was fired over the phone instead of instead of offering more sales training.

Advice to Management

Slow more than 3 days training for new employees

"Know the grind of a Telemarketer before joining"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Bench Craft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great People, Good Pay, Negotiating Skill Sharpener, 1hr break time, fixed schedule m-f. I liked working there yet I knew I would burn out because of the work load. Must have a mindset to win at all costs

Cons

High Turnover, very demanding, by the numbers, one can burn out quickly

Advice to Management

Better lead generation tools