Benchmark Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Tom Reycraft

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There's free lunch on Wednesday, beer on tap in the kitchen (in 7 reviews)

• free food, good environment, people are friendly (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes upper-management can act in a unprofessional manner (in 5 reviews)

• Top Down Management style, without much "bottom to top" considerations for improvements (in 3 reviews)

"Love it!"

I have been working at Benchmark Education full-time

Pros

Family owned by passionate people who love educating kids, competing with big companies, responding to teachers, and giving employees what they need to succeed.

Contributions are more than welcomed, they are desired. I'd say this place isn't for everyone but that's a good thing. This company listens and appreciates good ideas. Very smart people!!

Cons

It's a business with passionate people. I hear, but have not experienced, that passion sometimes leads to yelling.
    Needs to improve systems...A little dated.

Advice to Management

Keep employees first. Encourage contribution. Don't be afraid to market and promote our core values. We are not and should not be like all the others.

"Terrible Environment for Workers"

Former Employee - Editor in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with a lot of talented people. The company has been growing at a time when its competitors have been cutting back. The offices have a nice view although I would have preferred a door!

Cons

There are two top executives and it is kind of a "good cop, bad cop" situation. One is reasonable and the other is not. That one made embarrassing comments about my weight, and I heard her make many other comments that were very rude, having to do with someone's appearance ("you look like a cancer patient", to a woman with short hair). As is often mentioned here that executive spends very much of the time yelling. It is the executive's management style. It drives a lot of talented people away and it hurts continuity within projects, it decreases the institutional memory and it is crushing to morale and productivity. The company has a very bad reputation in the very small educational publishing industry because of this executive's actions, tone and demeanor.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to people who will treat their employees in a decent manner.

"Multimedia Assistant"

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time

Pros

- Snacks and beverages in the kitchen all the time.
    - Nice office space

Cons

- The owners of the company are a husband and wife, and employees can frequently hear them yelling at each other or at employees.
    - One of the owners will walk around the office yelling at/for people to come to her office.

Advice to Management

- Don't yell at your employees

"Terrible place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time

Pros

Beautiful office, sunny.
    Free snack, coffee...

Cons

Very bad management. The managers Treat the employees with no respect.
    Yelling and bad comments.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and work on creating a culture that values talent and skill.

"Awful Company Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

I have been working at Benchmark Education full-time

Pros

Good work environment with big windows and dining area

Cons

Management acts extremely unprofessional, yelling at people and not appreciate your work.

The only thing they care about is money. They don't care about your thoughts, they don't care about your career development, and they don't even give you enough training to do the work they want you to do.

If you want to improve yourself for a better future career, stay away.

"Horrendous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time

Pros

- coffee and soda in cafeteria
    - in-building cafe

Cons

I would avoid this place at all costs. The culture is horrible. It seemed to be a revolving-door workplace. Management makes inappropriate comments and yells constantly.

Advice to Management

You all need to relax a little

"Not worth the trouble (of which there is plenty)"

Former Employee - Editor in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch now and then and cupcakes once a month for celebrating birthdays. Nice views of the sunset in the afternoons. Free beer now and then too.

Cons

I wouldn't say they are disorganized, it is more that they change direction all the time. It seems to have worked in terms of making money and expanding the business but it might drive you crazy because the very ground is always moving beneath your feet! And one of the two top executives is very very unpleasant always yelling and cursing. This executive has no patience and if you make a mistake, you will not have much dignity afterward. The books have a very liberal slant and if that is your thing you will be comfortable here because that is how many of the people are. (But not on the business side.) There is a lot of turnover in the human resources department and this makes things difficult too in terms of training and people with an institutional memory of the company.

Advice to Management

They should sell the company to a bigger company that is organized and has procedures in place and doesn't always stop on a dime to chase the market wherever it goes. This would help the company to be run more professionally and that would make the employees happier and more productive.

"Benchmark"

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time

Pros

For the most part the people are cool. Paid on time.

Cons

Right for some and not others. Strange and unusal place.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing.

"Not a good environment!!"

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people working for the company.

Cons

Is hard to list them all.
    Poor management and completely disorganized.
    Top executive yells and curses all the time - so either you get used to it or that's not the place for you. No one should be submitted to that kind of management. That's not how you treat people, specially the ones helping your company to grow.
    They need to be organized, efficient and stop micromanagement (trust your employees!!!).

Advice to Management

Treat people better. Your employees are the ones bringing this company up and they deserved more than be yelled at every day. Your employees ate unhappy and if you can't see this, then you definitely not ready to management anyone. Be a leader! Show your love, passion for your company in a smart way - not being rude, selfish and unappropriated.

10. "A fast-growing company with lots of opportunities for go-getters!"

Former Employee - Manager in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Benchmark Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Extremely reachable senior management. They do listen and respect your ideas even if you are in a junior position.
    2. Family feelings and lots of collaberations. You feel like you are part of a big family and everyone is working together to bring the company to a better place. I had tons of opportunities to work with other departments from which I've learned different aspects of the business. These are my most valuable experiences which you don't always get in other companies.
    3. Good team. I had the honor to help build and train my own team which consists of highly motivated, innovative and diligent go-getters.
    4. Never bored. There are different projects and challenges every day. If you are ambitious, adventurous, innovative, and wants to make a real difference, this is the right place for you.

Cons

1. Vocal environment. The COO is very vocal but the good thing is that it is never personal.
    2. Average benefits.

Advice to Management

1. Invest more in employee training on new ERP, Excel, and programing for certain job functions. People are doing a lot of things manually which can be automated to improve accuracy and efficiency.
    2. Improve the benefits and pay to keep the good talents.