Benchmark Senior Living Reviews | Glassdoor

Benchmark Senior Living CEO Tom Grape
Tom Grape

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/life balance is off balance;many hours put in off the clock to complete expectations (in 10 reviews)

• High turnover for department heads (in 8 reviews)

"RCA"

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living part-time

Pros

The staff are really nice and they care for the residents as if they were their own family members

Cons

Management gets most of bonuses meanwhile they staff does most of the work and are the main center of the residents care.

2. "RCA Resident Care Associate"

Pros

The resident's are lovely, staff works as a team. Would recommend Benchmark to dedicated passionate people looking for long term employment.

Cons

For per diem staff, hours may not be available because the schedule is full. Great company to work for with many incentives.

"RCA"

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living part-time

Pros

The residents are amazing, fellow RCA's for the most part are great. Very rewarding job in terms of the residents become like family.

Cons

Management is corrupt, they don't care about the residents, only about saving themselves. Lies will be told to families, no respect, its disgusting the way things happen.

Advice to Management

They need to figure out why they are in the business of senior housing and think about if their presence there is making it better or worse.

4. "The only thing...."

Current Employee - Lead Aide in Niantic, CT
    Current Employee - Lead Aide in Niantic, CT

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents, of course! They become like family and so does the staff. Lots of great team work.

Cons

Lack of communication on all shifts. Seems like first shift gets special treatment sometimes. They have stand up meetings in the morning but other shifts don't know what's going on sometimes.

Advice to Management

Communicate! And to Tom Grape, seeing how there a lot of women working at this company, I am surprised Benchmark does not offer maternity leave. It's not fair.

5. "Certified Nursing Assistant at Benchmark Senior Living"

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time

Pros

Well-organized, great team culture with monthly recognition of employees. There are always extra shifts for those who want to pick up.

Cons

High turnover rate, at times have to work short staffed

Advice to Management

Consider hiring more per diem, part time workers to cover last minute call outs. Ensuring full coverage would be the most efficient way to boost morale and improve performance.

"Love being bullied and harassed? Then this company is for you!"

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time

Pros

The residents and families are amazing, and my pay rate that's about it for pros!

Cons

Omg there's so so many cons I can't pir them all in this review it would be a 300 page book! But here's a few The bullying, harassment, and favoritism! All but 3 of the department heads even participate in the bullying instead of doing something to make it stop like there supposed to! If your a good reliable and efficient employee the other front line staff will go feed your boss bs that will make your life horrible instead of promoting and making the schedule by their work ethic they base everything off of their personal feelings for you they would rather have lazy staff on their floor then the caring compassionate hard working because there not a threat! You are never appreciated but the lazy ones are over and over again! The directors take credit for your work if it was a job well done if you try to quit or get a transfer to another facility then the directors will fabricate incidents so they can write you up because then no other location will take you cause it makes you look like a "risky" employee your not allowed OT but your also not allowed to leave any undone so usually your told you need to punch out and finish your job so illegal! You also are never able to sit down and take a lunch and actually eat because there's so much work and there always understaffed but you still have to punch out for lunch and work another half hour for them for free! Most of the directors are horrible heartless people if you or your child is sick or in the hospital they basically say it's not their problem and won't give you the time off or let you leave early for an emergency! Their first priority should be the residents there not a priority at all the budget and conning people out of their money is the directors concern. And if the directors or nurses make a mistake they blame it on their front line staff they treat you like your disposable and make it a point to tell you several times a day that your replaceable, if they don't like you they bully and harass you and spread rumors until you mentally and physically can't take it anymore and calling corporate does nothing

Advice to Management

Stop favoriting staff, when someone reports that their being bullied and harassed follow through with a investigation ALL the time not just for your favorites! Stop participating in bullying, it's so unprofessional and flat out wrong! Managers are supposed to protect you against any harm and stand up for you when your not in the wrong it's their job to provide a safe work place per CT state law stop making a hostile work environment bullying is serious it's not kid stuff and it could literally cost someone their life if you continue to allow it you don't know what people are going through Stop allowing people to change your opinion of other employees! And stop Stop basing things off personal feelings and start basing them off work ethic treat you good hard working employees how they deserve to be treated stop telling employees there replaceable at the end of the day yes you can replace someone with another body but you can never replace a unique individual that puts your company before everything else including family you should want to keep these workers because of their dedication and reliability and communication is key! No one communicates to their front line staff but then want to know why things didn't get done came so something you were never told to do!

7. "Elevate Human Connection"

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time

Pros

It is an absolute honor and privilege to be part of Tom Grape's team. Tom is a leader with a clear vision of true values to elevate human connection company-wide, for residents, families and employees alike. Culture is what brought me here, It was something that Tom poured directly into Benchmark building a stable base to build and grow further from.

Cons

Occasional misunderstandings and miscommunications aren't exactly Benchmark's downsides, Benchmark trains its teams to use those opportunities as educating moments and build upon.

8. "Amazing experience"

Current Employee - Traditional Care Director
    Current Employee - Traditional Care Director

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time

Pros

Benchmark has given me so many opportunities to advance my professional career goals. The associate culture is amazing and the leadership is in tune with the staff.

Cons

I have no cons really, I can honestly say this has been the best career experience I have ever had.

9. "RCA"

Current Employee - Rca in Bedford, NH
    Current Employee - Rca in Bedford, NH

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. I wish I could afford to leave my full time office job to work at Benchmark full time. I look forward to going to work on the nights I work there. The people are great and everyone truly cares about the residents. I highly recommend this place!

Cons

I have not seen any as of yet

10. "Senior Leadership"

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time

Pros

Solid mission statement and aims high with company values

Cons

Poor leadership overall. More concerned with making money and remaining number 1 than actual care of seniors. Leadership should be role models of company values. This is only true in a small number of departments. Employee morale is lower than employees let on for fear of reprisal.

Advice to Management

Uphold company values. Respect should be present across the company no matter your position.