Benco Dental Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Charles Cohen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Family owned company, Uncapped commission (in 6 reviews)

• It used to be work/life balance and ability to make as much as you chose to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • First of all, if you start in the call center, you will die there (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management is focused on one thing and one thing only at the moment-becoming a (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time

Pros

Great place to work, good support and room to grow.

Cons

Poor dental insurance considering our field

2. "Territory Rep"

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time

Pros

Benco has a great work/life balance. You can make solid money however there is a limit. They are truely a family owned company.

Cons

Smaller company that has some disadvantages against the bigger players in the market. The other issue is the middle management. They tend to shuffle and be recycled

Advice to Management

Help advance young leaders and bring in more vendors. They also need better management when it comes to technology.

"Better than most"

Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Pittston, PA
    Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Pittston, PA

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great healthcare, great 401K, most of the people are good to be around.

Cons

Bureaucracy of management. A lot of "look how great we are doing listening" patting themselves on the backs without ever actually doing anything or implementing logical changes. Lower end positions (anyone working on the phone) have a pay cap. After that no more raises. Even if you worked there for 20 years.

Advice to Management

Say less do more.

"Like an abusive (ex-) boyfriend … complete with gaslighting."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittston, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittston, PA

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some amazingly talented, kindhearted people work here that deserve so much better than what Benco's upper management has given them.

Cons

Like an abusive (ex-) boyfriend … complete with gaslighting.

That’s the best simile I can think of to describe Benco Dental. Benco built their entire brand on empowering women, but whenever a strong woman stands up for herself or her coworkers, the company will do everything in its power to silence her – which is why I waited until I got another job and handed in my equally forthright letter of resignation to relate what happened to me and continues to happen to others under the Cohens’ rule. Don’t let whatever BS reply they leave on my message fool you. I drank that Benco kool aid for over two years before admitting a mentor of mine was right when she warned me a few months into my employment there not to latch onto their empty promises. Folks, if you do, you will be gravely disappointed.

First of all, if you start in the call center, you will die there. Offering free help to “prove your worth” will only get you taken advantage of. I worked between three different departments for about a year and was told over and over about a position that would be opening in the future but that “these sorts of things take time” and if I just held on for a little bit longer, things would change. One department promised to pay me a certain amount to work on projects for them, then withdrew that amount because it “wasn’t in the budget” after I had already completed a few projects for them. THEN, it took me four months of sending mass emails to payroll only to receive emails written to me only making more false promises and then apologizing for a “lack of communication amongst all involved parties” when that could have easily been resolved by just hitting “reply all.” It took me writing a personal letter to Chuck Cohen himself to finally get paid for work I was doing on my days off that was too important to wait for Monday but was apparently not important enough to warrant having a group meeting to make sure I got paid for it.

Then, of course, more ado was had about this new position that would be opening up eventually once I got frustrated and said I had started applying for jobs elsewhere. More messages were exchanged back and forth but I didn’t get an answer until I officially resigned with another personal letter to the Cohens which went into the aforementioned reasons plus the distressing treatment I’ve seen some of Benco’s technicians receive and countless others who told me they, too, worked on free projects and were given false hope until they eventually gave up. Of course, the job I was waiting for was published immediately and I was quoted a base salary if I had received the position, but as soon as I left the room, I was told that salary wasn’t right either and that once again, not everyone was on the same page about what was in the budget. Soon, they will have enough money in the budget to give the most delusional of their cult followers a huge bonus as people have been quitting left and right because they’ve had enough. I can say so much more, but I know a few others waiting until they have other jobs lined up to add their experiences so I figured I’d leave them a platform from which to share their stories.

Benco was an admirable place to work once. The older reviews are probably true; but these days, that just isn’t the case.

Advice to Management

Hire somebody new to respond to your negative reviews. The more you respond, the faker you sound. Or is that not in the budget, either?

Apr 23, 2018 – Talent Manager

I’m disappointed that you had such a negative experience with Benco. From the sounds of it, there were a lot of unique situations going on. While I wasn’t involved in these, I can say with... More

"Lies. Lies. Lies."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

I worked at Benco Dental full-time

Pros

They used to be great to work for. Significant holiday bonuses, truly caring CEO, always willing to listen for potential areas of improvement. And then they got greedy when they picked up a bunch of former Patterson employees.

Cons

Poor communication. No room for advancement. Employees afraid to speak up because nobody feels like they have job security. This past year, they fired a bunch of employees which is ironic considering everything they said when Patterson did the exact same thing last year.

Advice to Management

They won't listen so there's no point in giving advice. I just wrote this review for others who think this is the best option Northeast PA has to offer (disclaimer: it's not).

6. "Work"

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time

Pros

Advancement if you're noticed here.

Cons

The company is changing fast.

Feb 5, 2018 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We make it a priority to ensure all associates have a positive experience of employment here and take a lot of pride in giving individuals as many tools and resources to... More

"Not the same company"

Former Employee - Territory Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None anymore, place is bad now

Cons

Too many "metrics", lost equipment lines, low commission, management is awful, high turnover

Advice to Management

Let sales reps sell!

"Great culture, Other similar jobs pay better"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture compared to other companies

Cons

Need good service technicians and equipment specialist sales person to help you be successful. If either of these support people are not solid, it can cause you to lose business and/or make increasing sales very challenging!

Feb 5, 2018 – Talent Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! Consistently ranked one of the best places to work, Benco has a continuous improvement culture driven by associate feedback. We pride ourselves on being an open and... More

"Company Just Not The Same"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My regional co-workers and manager. I consider them close friends and mentors. Not many other “pros” I can think of at this time.

Cons

This company is really lost. Upper management is focused on one thing and one thing only at the moment-becoming a $1B company. Yet, they keep implementing rules and changes such as logging call notes and other administrative types of work that take away face to face time with customers and actually SELLING something.
    We’ve recently been told our branch sales meetings will now be a day and a half long starting in 2018. I do not know the reason for this and cannot see how taking the entire sales force out of their territories even more can be productive , or benefit their goal of being a $1B company. Our customers want to see us. I imagine this new itinerary will cause considerable problems for single parents, reps who care for elderly parents, and others with similar family and personal responsibilities. I cannot believe upper management got together and decided this is a good idea. This shows just how out of touch they are. I’ve had a long and fulfilling career, and for the first time I find myself asking if I’m now working for the right company. I know other reps are feeling the same. Morale is low.

Advice to Management

I won’t waste my time offering advice. They simply will not listen. I would rather squander away time and huge amounts of money on failing programs and concepts then to admit they are wrong.

"Territory representative"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy schedule
    Everyone figured that
    Sales easy as customer orders online like amazon

Cons

#ME TOO
    Big good ol boys club

Advice to Management

Get some morals

Feb 5, 2018 – Talent Specialist

A perk to our sales roles is the flexible schedule. Taking advantage of our world-class tools and resources positions reps to not only be successful, but to enjoy a healthy work/life balance. After... More