Benco Dental Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charles Cohen

Pros
Cons
  • Do not speak your mind, or attempt to say anything negative about how something is handled (in 2 reviews)

• This is a family owned business, and if you're not in the Cohen family you have no chance of moving up and making real money (in 2 reviews)

1. "I would follow the Cohen family and senior leadership team anywhere"

Current Employee - Director Level in Pittston, PA
    Current Employee - Director Level in Pittston, PA

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been fortunate enough to work for Benco for many years. I have experienced first-hand just how passionate the family is about what we do and how we can do it better. They breed this into their associates who are committed. Taking care of the customer is contagious!
    Being privately held also is just fun to be a part of. I've seen us lose money on a specific project simply because it added value to the customer and made sense in the overall value offering that we provide to the customer with an experienced friendly Benco Rep, helpful and knowledgeable service techs and well trained inside support people doing the operations.
    We seem to retain most of our "star associates" because they LOVE going above and beyond for the customer, and we all LOVE #winning!

Cons

Of course, it isn't perfect. Benco knows that and really markets their idea bank program and their Continuous Improvement department that is based on LEAN principals.
    Some areas where attention is needed is on the computer system. Some systems are state of the art, and some are more than 15 years old. It can be better (and faster).
    Benco has great relationships with key vendors, but there are smaller and newer vendors that offer a new and great product that Benco can't offer. Would be great if Benco's Vendor Relationship People could use our success stories to attract these innovative vendors to let Benco offer their products.

Advice to Management

There are good leaders in place and the openness and sharing from these leaders on the company's performance is great. Keep making employees (associates) feel valued by being honest and genuine. Many of us notice and appreciate it. Many of us have worked in other places that did not do a quarter of the things Benco tries to do.

All of things in this review said - do not get comfortable and/or lazy! Wake up each morning with a passion to excel at what we do!

2. "👍🏼in NE and TX; 👎🏼in SE"

Former Employee - Sales Territory Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Territory Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Support and resources are fantastic if you sell near Corp in Pittston, PA or in new impressive faculty in Dallas, TX

Cons

Support and service techs are weak in areas of the SE, specifically TN

Advice to Management

Think more Long Term than Short Term for Success

3. "Shady"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Benco Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entice you with a big pay raise

Cons

Steal your accounts that you bring over

Advice to Management

Grow a pair, stand up and do the right thing. My manager walked on who ever he needed to in order to save his own behind

5. "Internship Experience"

Former Employee - INTERNSHIP Intern in Jermyn, PA
    Former Employee - INTERNSHIP Intern in Jermyn, PA

I worked at Benco Dental (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fast paced, great coworkers, everyone is friendly

Cons

They grew very fast in a short period time and just hope they do not loose their small company charm that make it such a great company to work for.

6. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Territory Representative in Simpsonville, SC
    Former Employee - Territory Representative in Simpsonville, SC

I worked at Benco Dental (More than a year)

Pros

Family owned company, Uncapped commission

Cons

depending on area of country, relatively unknown company is a difficult sale

"Confusion is SOP"

Former Employee - Service Tech in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Service Tech in Jackson, MS

Pros

Pros depend upon your supervisor. The upper management doesn't know what is going on, they tend to listen to those directly under them and go from there.

Cons

Do not speak your mind, or attempt to say anything negative about how something is handled. If you can't march to the Benco drum, don't work here. Like not wanting to drive 2 3/4 hours when you know a part isn't there...driving 4 1/2 hours to repair an item that is duplicated on the unit (even when your customers must be rescheduled), even when the local guy will be back in the morning. This is a normal procedure at Benco, expect it.

Advice to Management

Come down from the ivory tower of CenterPoint and listen to the people who see the reaction of YOUR costumers. Costumers, you know the ones who write the checks so you can have income...

"They'll use you up."

Former Employee - Master Dental Equipment Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Master Dental Equipment Technician in Houston, TX

Pros

If you're a management-level individual with a cutthroat philosophy, and your career has been built upon the backs of the people you've put through hell, then Benco may well be the place for you. If you're a woman, you'll want to watch your back in Benco's good-ol boy club. I write this because the folks I'm recommending this to would probably consider that a PRO item.

Cons

They make promises but won't put them in writing, AND they won't honor them when the time comes. They WILL NOT hire you unless you sign a non-compete clause, and while they tell you it's just protocol, and that they've never heard of it being used, in reality their enforcement of their non-compete is best described as RABID. They will promise you anything, such as a certain territory, and once you've left your current employer and gone to work for Benco, they place you where it best suits them, and they won't even respond to your queries regarding their promises. You WILL work twelve to fourteen hours a day minimum, pretty much every day. Their treatment of employees is marginal at best. If you're desperate for a job, and willing to work very long hours for salary paychecks, it's a job where you'll be able to stay at for as long as you want. In fact, that's ALL you'll be able to do, and if you try to leave to go to the competition in your area, Benco's lawyers will make sure you're left unemployed, even in right-to-work states, unless you're willing to hire your own lawyer (40 to $60,000 average to fight their non-compete), and even then there's no guarantee the new employer will be willing to welcome an employee who's shown that they're willing and able to fight for their rights. I moved across the country, and here a local Service Tech went to work for Benco at higher pay. Now they're running him fourteen hours a day in the worst traffic in the country, and he can't go back to his former employer because they're holding the non-compete over his head, and I'm hearing many of the same stories here, so the policies that make life hell with Benco are almost certainly company-wide. If you can possibly avoid working for Benco, staying away from them is the best move you can make.

Advice to Management

Nothing I could possibly say could cut through the corporate arrogance to make any difference.

"Take it or leave it, just don't state your opinion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittston, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittston, PA

Pros

Family owned. Friendly CEOs. pay is ok. Nice bldg. nice cafeteria.

Cons

Treat you like 5 yr olds. Rules about every little thing. Constantly reprimanding about something. Don't want to hear what you have to say. Supervisors know little about what their people do. Computers are ancient.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Treat employees as adults. Update computer system

"They capture your soul...."

Former Employee - Dental Equipment Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Dental Equipment Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good philanthropy in their home market. Family owned. Nice showrooms.

Cons

No philanthropy out of home market. Family owned. A true, "it's not what you know, it's who you know" company. VP positions are a revolving door. They alienated the largest equipment manufacturer in the world because of their egos. Once you go to work for them, they will blacklist you from leaving their company to go to work for their suppliers. They lost great people when they merged their regions. They nickle and dime their sales reps with charge backs and fees. No room for promotion on the sales side. This is a great job who has a significant other with a huge paycheck and you just want to pick up sales as a hobby.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and treat people well. Hire good people and get out of the way. Fire the idiots.

"Bad Managemetn"

Former Employee - General Warehousemen *Material Handler in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - General Warehousemen *Material Handler in Sparks, NV

I worked at Benco Dental (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Hours and friendly workers

Cons

Slave-Drive Mentality with poor communication skills

Advice to Management

Too much macro-management and having the wrong people in authoritative positions.