BeneFit Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

BeneFit Cosmetics CEO Jean-André Rougeot
Jean-André Rougeot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free products when we attend training (sometimes) (in 23 reviews)

• Received new products on launch (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over the top pushy sales techniques- needs to understand "traffic stopping should be a last resort not constant method" (in 43 reviews)

• work life balance can sometimes be diffcult (in 11 reviews)

"Aesthetician"

Former Employee - Aesthetician in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Aesthetician in New York, NY

I worked at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

sometimes the staff, gratis, birthday gifts from corporate

Cons

Catty, pretty, nonsensical behavior of management and even employees. It affects your clients and your money. Work besties sit clients with other work besties, avoid speaking you in stores the size of matchboxes, don't expect management to step in they often encourage such behavior if not to take part. All of this bottom line affects your pay, not to mention you must provide completely open availability (no life). Lastly corporate is aware and doesn't care that is why the manager is referred to as a "Boutique Proprietor." When your goal is to be the Starbucks of brows, profit is all that is watched at the end of the day!

Advice to Management

fix it all

"UES LSA"

Former Employee - Lsa in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lsa in New York, NY

I worked at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$$$, benefits, team atmosphere, growth opportunity, the culture. it's all about empowerment.

Cons

extremely numbers focus, no work life balance, management not organized, some times favoritism comes into play

Advice to Management

the Aestis need more support from management, and there needs to be more work life balance.

3. "Boutique Proprietor"

Current Employee - Boutique Proprietor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Boutique Proprietor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Run your own business
    Great pay and benefits
    Bonus opportunity

Cons

The transition in is tough no matter how many years of experience you have.

"Assistant Boutique Proprietor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Thankfully they provide decent health insurance benefits. The brow cosmetics look good if applied correctly, but are chock full of toxins and carcinogens.

Cons

Terrible, discriminatory environment. Micromanagement trickles down to the boutiques from corporate level employees who are clueless regarding the store's individual culture and clientele. Sales employees are pressured by individual, unrealistic daily, weekly and monthly goals that create a stressful and competitive energy between employees instead of comradeship and teamwork. The worst part about this company, however, is the inability for fully capable women of color or women who may not have the idealistic "pretty face" to move upward regardless of how much experience, education or talent they may possess. Long hours, mediocre-at-best compensation. If you're into slavework for a bunch of mean girls - this is the company to join.

Advice to Management

Create store goals instead of individual goals. Get rid of your crappy skincare line. It's awful and anyone who is skincare savvy (your target audience) would never purchase or regularly use those products on their skin. Stop forcing your sales employees to sell garbage.

"Toxic Work Environment at Headquarters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Some of the people who work here are very talented and wonderful to work with- However, due to the large list of cons and the unprofessional work environment, I do not see them staying for a long time.

Cons

Senior management is unprofessional and catty. They are not respectful to each other or the teams that they manage. Yelling and eye rolling is very common in meetings. The management style here is one of creating fear and discord. Instead of trying to build teams that work well together, certain departments compete to one up each other and the employees become collateral damage. It is very common to hear senior management badly slandering each other but then being nice to each other's faces. After being here for some time, I have learned that this toxic environment was present from the beginning of this brand (starting at the top up with the founders) and continues to be nurtured instead of stomped out.

Extremely difficult to get promotions- Promotions are only given to undeserving employees who exhibit characteristics seen in senior management (i.e. catty, disrespectful, throwing temper tantrums, and unequipped to manage teams). Hard work does not seem to be rewarded or appreciated and when conversations regarding a raise or title change come up, management comes up with weak excuses as to why it's not possible or will take some time (code for it's not going to happen). Additionally, it seems that if you are not French or European, your chances of a promotion are slim to none.

In theory, they encourage employees to grow and promote internal transfers. However, in reality, this is not encouraged and certain departments make it extremely difficult to transfer internally to another department by badmouthing the department of interest.

Compensation and benefits are on the lower end when compared to other companies. They expect a lot from their employees and new hires but do not want to provide the adequate compensation and benefits that accompany the job title. Personally, I felt that I had to sacrifice on compensation, healthcare benefits, and vacation time when accepting this job.

This company will tell you that all companies in the industry are like this or worse but that is not true. While some of the departments and employees are fantastic, the day to day here with the departments and employees who are less than bearable make it difficult to work here. This company's motto is "Laughter is the Best Cosmetic"- Working at headquarters could not be farther from the truth. Benefit's work environment is synonymous to a mean girls high school environment...except we are all adults and no one should be acting like they are still in high school.

Advice to Management

Instead of making excuses for bad behavior, the company should take a hard look at their toxic environment, which is why good people will always continue to leave. Hire and promote people who not only have a strong work acumen but also a good attitude and understand what it means to be part of a team- Get rid of everyone else. HR should really start paying attention to what people are saying in their exit interviews.

6. "I loved coming to work every day!"

Former Employee - Aesthetician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Aesthetician in Dallas, TX

I worked at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best place ever all around. Favorite Job in the Entire world

Cons

zeros cons, I wouldnt change a thing about how its run.

Advice to Management

High five

"Benefit/Macys employed"

Current Employee - Counter Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Counter Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefit is a great company who takes care of their employees, however working for macys is a bit less fun

Cons

retail isnt for everyone, long hours and weekends

"Arch Expert"

Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis (free makeup) from Benefit twice a year, gratis when a new product launches, if you work in an Ulta you sometimes get gratis from the store, fun job with adorably packaged products and cute marketing, contests keep you from getting bored and they offer money as your reward if you win a contest, great tips, Benefit gives you adorable aprons and props to work with to draw attention to the bar.

Cons

Really no downsides. My only complaint is sometimes they schedule only one person for prestige or none at all and I'm left trying to help people on the floor, but I can't assist guests if I'm busy providing waxing services at the brow bar.

Advice to Management

Just make sure to keep the floor well staffed. It's extremely frustrating when I'm trying to focus my attention on the person in my chair but can't do so because I'm the only one on prestige until sometime in the afternoon/evening. How do you expect the Ulta shoppers to be assisted and have their questions answered if the only person in prestige is an arch expert who's booked solid with services? Step up your game, Ulta!

"Creative Manager"

Current Employee - Creative Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company & culture to work in. Although compensation isn't very competitive, the people in the company & their drive and passion make the company an amazing place to work.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive...can be very corporate & political at times.

Advice to Management

Invest in paying your employees a little more!

10. "Counter manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

supportive managers
    My executive is extremely nice and always available

Cons

There's always an event

Advice to Management

be organize and stay creative