BeneFit Cosmetics Reviews | Glassdoor

BeneFit Cosmetics Reviews

Updated August 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free products when we attend training (sometimes) (in 23 reviews)

• Received new products on launch (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • over the top pushy sales techniques- needs to understand "traffic stopping should be a last resort not constant method" (in 43 reviews)

• work life balance can sometimes be diffcult (in 11 reviews)

1. "Boutique Proprietor"

Current Employee - Boutique Proprietor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Boutique Proprietor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Run your own business
    Great pay and benefits
    Bonus opportunity

Cons

The transition in is tough no matter how many years of experience you have.

"Assistant Boutique Proprietor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Thankfully they provide decent health insurance benefits. The brow cosmetics look good if applied correctly, but are chock full of toxins and carcinogens.

Cons

Terrible, discriminatory environment. Micromanagement trickles down to the boutiques from corporate level employees who are clueless regarding the store's individual culture and clientele. Sales employees are pressured by individual, unrealistic daily, weekly and monthly goals that create a stressful and competitive energy between employees instead of comradeship and teamwork. The worst part about this company, however, is the inability for fully capable women of color or women who may not have the idealistic "pretty face" to move upward regardless of how much experience, education or talent they may possess. Long hours, mediocre-at-best compensation. If you're into slavework for a bunch of mean girls - this is the company to join.

Advice to Management

Create store goals instead of individual goals. Get rid of your crappy skincare line. It's awful and anyone who is skincare savvy (your target audience) would never purchase or regularly use those products on their skin. Stop forcing your sales employees to sell garbage.

"TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!!"

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager
    Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time

Pros

free samples, cute colorful prdoucts

Cons

This company says they are about laughter and fun....well if you are not a die hard rocker/biker chick with tattoos with a bad attitude then count yourself out!! If your style is not pin-up girl look then count yourself out from the door!! This is a mean girls high school "you can't handle this job" environment! There are no rules and regulations so co-workers can talk to you any type of way and management does nothing. This company only puts effort and time into their aestheticians so if you think you are important, think again! They will not train you or certify you if you do not do brow wax services. Your efforts making sales and running around traffic stopping means nothing at the end of the day. Think twice before putting yourself in a bad position! Also, if you are African American this is not the line you want to represent. I have been on all the websites, seen reviews all across the board and have only been able to count 5 African American girls in pictures from here to Germany! Get a clue and listen or allow yourself to get caught looking for another job in the first weeks of gettng hired! They claim that you dont need to know how to put on makeup but then you'll get
    slaughtered you on the sales floor in front of customers when you try to do your best...it would be useful for them to just look for makeup artists. You'd be better off applying as a freelance makeup artist. THEY WILL NOT TRAIN YOU so be careful applying to this company! The managers are too busy to deal with you or your issues.

Advice to Management

TRAIN FOR GODSAKE or just hire some die hard makeup artists already! Make time to actually MANAGE! This is a joke

4. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and gratis stuff

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Pay arch experts more

"Toxic Work Environment at Headquarters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Some of the people who work here are very talented and wonderful to work with- However, due to the large list of cons and the unprofessional work environment, I do not see them staying for a long time.

Cons

Senior management is unprofessional and catty. They are not respectful to each other or the teams that they manage. Yelling and eye rolling is very common in meetings. The management style here is one of creating fear and discord. Instead of trying to build teams that work well together, certain departments compete to one up each other and the employees become collateral damage. It is very common to hear senior management badly slandering each other but then being nice to each other's faces. After being here for some time, I have learned that this toxic environment was present from the beginning of this brand (starting at the top up with the founders) and continues to be nurtured instead of stomped out.

Extremely difficult to get promotions- Promotions are only given to undeserving employees who exhibit characteristics seen in senior management (i.e. catty, disrespectful, throwing temper tantrums, and unequipped to manage teams). Hard work does not seem to be rewarded or appreciated and when conversations regarding a raise or title change come up, management comes up with weak excuses as to why it's not possible or will take some time (code for it's not going to happen). Additionally, it seems that if you are not French or European, your chances of a promotion are slim to none.

In theory, they encourage employees to grow and promote internal transfers. However, in reality, this is not encouraged and certain departments make it extremely difficult to transfer internally to another department by badmouthing the department of interest.

Compensation and benefits are on the lower end when compared to other companies. They expect a lot from their employees and new hires but do not want to provide the adequate compensation and benefits that accompany the job title. Personally, I felt that I had to sacrifice on compensation, healthcare benefits, and vacation time when accepting this job.

This company will tell you that all companies in the industry are like this or worse but that is not true. While some of the departments and employees are fantastic, the day to day here with the departments and employees who are less than bearable make it difficult to work here. This company's motto is "Laughter is the Best Cosmetic"- Working at headquarters could not be farther from the truth. Benefit's work environment is synonymous to a mean girls high school environment...except we are all adults and no one should be acting like they are still in high school.

Advice to Management

Instead of making excuses for bad behavior, the company should take a hard look at their toxic environment, which is why good people will always continue to leave. Hire and promote people who not only have a strong work acumen but also a good attitude and understand what it means to be part of a team- Get rid of everyone else. HR should really start paying attention to what people are saying in their exit interviews.

"Boutique Proprietor"

Former Employee - Boutique Proprietor
    Former Employee - Boutique Proprietor

I worked at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount and fun sales trips.

Cons

No growth. Disorganized management. Managers can be bullies to get sales.

Advice to Management

Don't mislead employees about growth opportunities. Be professional and consistent with policies.

7. "I loved coming to work every day!"

Former Employee - Aesthetician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Aesthetician in Dallas, TX

I worked at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best place ever all around. Favorite Job in the Entire world

Cons

zeros cons, I wouldnt change a thing about how its run.

Advice to Management

High five

8. "I love my job"

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i love all the amazing opportunities

Cons

I really can't complain about anything

"Benefit/Macys employed"

Current Employee - Counter Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Counter Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefit is a great company who takes care of their employees, however working for macys is a bit less fun

Cons

retail isnt for everyone, long hours and weekends

"Arch Expert"

Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at BeneFit Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gratis (free makeup) from Benefit twice a year, gratis when a new product launches, if you work in an Ulta you sometimes get gratis from the store, fun job with adorably packaged products and cute marketing, contests keep you from getting bored and they offer money as your reward if you win a contest, great tips, Benefit gives you adorable aprons and props to work with to draw attention to the bar.

Cons

Really no downsides. My only complaint is sometimes they schedule only one person for prestige or none at all and I'm left trying to help people on the floor, but I can't assist guests if I'm busy providing waxing services at the brow bar.

Advice to Management

Just make sure to keep the floor well staffed. It's extremely frustrating when I'm trying to focus my attention on the person in my chair but can't do so because I'm the only one on prestige until sometime in the afternoon/evening. How do you expect the Ulta shoppers to be assisted and have their questions answered if the only person in prestige is an arch expert who's booked solid with services? Step up your game, Ulta!