Benedictine University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Benedictine University CEO Charles Gregory
Charles Gregory
  1. "Learning Assistant"

I have been working at Benedictine University part-time for more than a year

Pros

a good place to work

Cons

none that I can think of

Benedictine University2019-08-30

September 4, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide Benedictine University with a review! We are happy that you feel BU is a great place to work! We value our employees and the work that is done on a daily basis supports our mission of providing an inclusive academic community dedicated to teaching and learning, scholarship and service, truth and justice, as inspired by the Catholic intellectual tradition, the social teaching of the Church, and the principles of wisdom in the Rule of St. Benedict. #BenU1887

2. "Flexible Working Hour"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lisle, IL

I worked at Benedictine University part-time for less than a year

Pros

The working time is very flexible, employees can schedule according to their courses, it's very suitable for students.

Cons

A lot of complicated tasks to do, pay much attention to the details. Low payment.

Benedictine University2019-10-11

October 21, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to review the university. We appreciate your positive feedback! We are very fortunate to have flexible schedules and to work with a great community of people! As a non-profit institution we understand that pay is not as competitive as corporations, which is why we offer flexible schedules as well as discounts for all employees. #Community #BenU #GreatPlaceToWork

3. "Nice place to work, great people, good benefits."

Former Employee - Director in Lisle, IL

I worked at Benedictine University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice people and good benefits.

Cons

I didn't experience any downs to report on.

Benedictine University2019-09-30

October 7, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to review BenU! We love the people we hire and feel our benefit package is competitive - which makes BU a great place to work!

4. "Changes"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Benedictine University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Health Insurance and time off is great

Cons

Pay is low, advancement opportunities are few

Advice to Management

work with all employees for ways to improve

Benedictine University2019-09-18

September 19, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for your review! We agree, our benefit package is awesome! It is important for employees to have work-life balance and our most important assest is our team. We encourage you to reach out to your supervisor to share your thoughts and ideas, we are constantly moving forward and the best ideas come from our employees! Also, please keep an eye on our website as we post all positions and love when employees are interested in advancing within the university.

5. "An Environment of Change"

Current Employee - Assistant Registrar

I have been working at Benedictine University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for promotion, good for starting entry level.

Cons

General disfunction makes simpler processes difficult.

Benedictine University2019-07-20

August 5, 2019HR Generalist

We appreciate your positive feedback on promotional opportunities! At Benedictine, we value our employees and the work that they do is essential to the success of the university. The university has assembled a staff council for streamlining processes and breaking down silos when it comes to cross-functional departments that work together. There are opportunities to join a council as well as partake in feedback sessions. Thank you for taking the time to review us and provide constructive feedback!

6. "Look elsewhere for your career in higher eductaion"

Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at Benedictine University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Students, faculty, colleagues and athletics

Cons

Leadership - They need to let go and move on if they truly want this branch campus to survive. If you are looking for a collaborative, energetic, data-driven, and common sense approach to enrollment management; look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Too many to list. Suggestions were made and ignored over the course of a couple of years. Hire departmental leaders with actual professional higher ed. experience... Leaders that treat their direct reports with respect and integrity. Attempt to live up to the Benedictine hallmarks that are preached so frequently.

Benedictine University2019-08-15

September 4, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your feedback. Since our Mesa location opened in 2013, the staff and administration have been quick to adapt to change on a daily basis. Our growth at the branch campus has steadily climbed which has allowed for continued growth in all areas. And we agree, we truly have the best students, faculty, and staff at our branch location that support the values of the university. #RedhawksRising

7. "Nice for a temporary job"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Benedictine University full-time

Pros

Laid back environment, nice campus with events

Cons

Many in upper management seem inexperienced, and that could be the result of hiring internal candidates, including students that never had the opportunity to see what it was like to work for external companies in a management capacity.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, because they may be able to provide insight that you never considered and the experience that you've never had.

Benedictine University2019-06-06

June 25, 2019HR Generalist

Thank you for your review. At BenU we love our campus and events and strive to create a welcoming community to all. We appreciate your feedback and we currently offer an open door policy that allows employees and students to share suggestions and concerns. We are working hard to build a better BenU and thank you for your advice.

8. "Great work culture"

I worked at Benedictine University

Pros

good work culture,friendly staff, professional atmosphere.

Cons

did not personally face any as an intern

Benedictine University2018-10-10
  9. "Admissions"

I have been working at Benedictine University full-time

Pros

Great place to explore personal ideas that can impact recruitment

Cons

None, everyone has been so helpful.

Benedictine University2018-09-11

"Previous employee"

Former Employee - Mid-Level Management in Lisle, IL

I worked at Benedictine University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff get free tuition for themselves and family members (only have to pay taxes), which is why many people try to hang on.

Cons

The university is a sinking ship. Poor executive leadership, poor infrastructure, and poor display of values. Did I mention poor? Financial problems all around, which lead to nonfaculty positions continually being cut. The place cannot function properly, which affects everyone involved. Potential students, go elsewhere! Or you risk ending up in a personal mess like previous students in Springfield.

Advice to Management

As mentioned by others, you must invest in staff and staff resources (notice I didn't say invest in more faculty...) in order to see a return. This is common sense. Yet Deans and administrative execs who make a lot of money (FYI to other staff: a President's salary here is over $600k) expect staff to work the jobs of 2-3 people while not being compensated much. Stress and burnout are rampant. And paid days off,... while it's a nice gesture, only cause staff to get behind.

Benedictine University2018-08-14