Benefis Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Benefis Health System CEO John Goodnow
John Goodnow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Greatest place to work in Montana"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Great Falls, MT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very family oriented and compassionate

Cons

We need to expand more.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best

2. "Benefis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefis is a great place to work. There are numerous opportunities for growth within the organization including continuing education and professional growth.

Not only is Benefis a great place to work as an organization, we also have an amazing team of employees throughout the system to work with. I have never worked for an employer with so many passionate individuals and people who swear that they have the best job in the world.

This passion is not just verbal, it is shown through the number of long-term employees - there are more than 200 people who have worked at Benefis for over 25 years! Some are going on 50 years with the organization! If that doesn't speak to the being a great place to work, I don't know what does.

Beyond just employment, I love being a part of Benefis for what they do for our community and our region. We all know medical care is expensive. However, Benefis does what it can to keep its costs low and help out every patient who comes through the door, regardless of their ability to pay. They have staff dedicated to helping patients get their health needs addressed, whether it is checking on if they qualify for medicare or medicaid and helping them enroll, working with them on payment plans, or helping them apply for financial assistance for their medical bills - Benefis cares.

Cons

Healthcare is a challenging industry - sometimes making the right choice isn't the most popular choice among staff or the public. I commend senior leadership on always trying to what is truly best for all impacted.

3. "Inner sense of satisfaction with helping others"

Current Employee - Ultrasound Technologist in Great Falls, MT
    Current Employee - Ultrasound Technologist in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The way you feel after you've helped someone - nothing compares
    Great benefit package for .5 or higher employment status
    Sense of community/family within specific departments
    Sense of appreciation for a job well done

Cons

A hospital is open 24/7/365 ...... chances are you are going to work some shifts you don't want to work because the facility is always open.
    Color coded uniforms for individual departments really detract from your sense of individuality.
    It's a big facility - if you aren't familiar with the layout at all - it's a lot to learn just so you don't get lost!!!
    You work with people that are at their worst - sometimes it can get very emotionally taxing

Advice to Management

Remember what it's like to work in the "trenches" because sometimes managers can get out of touch with their employees

4. "Setting the standard for excellence!"

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Great Falls, MT
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, flexible hours, state of the art equipment, caring staff. This job has provided me the opportunity to be a part time, stay-at-home mom and also remain the workforce.

Cons

Parking, but with a facility of this size, that is an inevitable issue.

"RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Great Falls, MT
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System (Less than a year)

Pros

Education is encouraged/continued/paid for within the hospital.
    Tons of opportunity to learn with a variety of clinical cases with different levels of acuity.
    The ability to work across different departments for a wealth of nursing knowledge through patient flow/clinical specialist department.
    Continued opportunity to work plenty of overtime for both increased monetary gain as well as experience.
    Top best 150 places to work in the US.

Cons

Short orientation/preceptorship time before being placed on duty with expectation of existing knowledge with both nursing practice as well as Benefis system SOP's and protocols.
    Heavy patient loads with 1 to 2 CNA's for entire floor, RN's provide total care on top of shift duties and medication passes.
    Only resource in large geographical area, therefor, many older patients with dementia issues that are non-compliant, at risk for falls, potential for safety concerns without any staff for 1:1's, placing nurses at risk for issues against them for professional/licensure standing.
    Not unionized.
    Long hours depending on patient loads, staffing, issues during shift.

Advice to Management

Adjust matrix for PM/NOC shifts staffing ratios, therefor, nurses would not feel so overwhelmed/overworked and would be more likely for pay closer attention to detail with regard to documentation as well as a reduced feeling of safety concerns/jeopardy toward their licensure/professional standing within both Benefis as well as within the nursing practice.

Benefis Health System Response

Jun 2, 2017 – Regional Recruiter

Hello, Thank you for sharing your experiences as a Benefis employee. We take pride in our education programs and are glad to hear that you have noticed the various opportunities for continuing... More

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Great Falls, MT
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefis offers employees great perks such as an on-site fitness facility and employee discounts for various services. Employees are encouraged to grow within the company.

Cons

None at this point in time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparent communication to employees.

7. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the two best jobs I have ever had, and I've been in the workforce for 50 years. This company strives for excellence in all areas.

Cons

If you don't want to work, don't apply.

8. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Great Falls, MT
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Benefis for about two years now and the main reason I love to work at Benefis, is the teamwork with in the Finance Department. The willingness to help each other out is wonderful and not to mention the friendships made along the way! The caring and compassion from our leads is a breath of fresh air. The competitive wages and benefit package is hard to beat.

Cons

When there is turnover, the work of the person who left gets given to others leaving them to feel overwhelmed especially at month end.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Remember we are all human, communication is key, and to make sure you let your staff know when they are doing a good job and appreciated--kudos mean a lot to an employee. Oh and remember to look at your financial statements monthly :)

9. "Benefis Hospital"

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Great Falls, MT
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Great Falls, MT

I worked at Benefis Health System part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved working here my team at The Grandview at Benefis was amazing! and very helpful, since i had no Experience as a CNA and this job definitely gave me a lot of experience and knowledge about the medical field and i still have a lot to learn but this was definitely an amazing start for me. I would like to work for Benefis again if i ever came back to Montana. Amazing team, Amazing Patients! and just overall an amazing experience.

Cons

Since i had only work for about 9 months and i don't really have a lot of cons to say about Benefis the only thing i would say is that sometimes we were short on staff and I had to be by myself but thats the only thing i would say the con is. It wasn't so bad and RN would help me out so that was really nice. Like i said I think I had a pretty amazing TEAM!

Advice to Management

Nothing to say really.

"Culture, benefits make Benefis a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Falls, MT

I have been working at Benefis Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefis prioritizes its employees whenever possible. They offer a great benefits package, employee-centered events, and good compensation. There is a lot of room for movement in the company, both in your current career path and into other departments. Managers work to keep good staff in the organization.
    Great Falls is a lovely city, especially if you like to ski, hike, hunt, or fish.

Cons

Hiring process takes some time
    Great Falls is a small city. If you like living in bigger, metropolitan areas you may have a hard time settling in here.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your employees. They are the building blocks of a strong organization and the work you put in on the ground with them is noticed and appreciated. Corporate culture starts in the department.