Benefitfocus Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Ray August
0 Rating

"Account Manager"

Account Manager in Daniel Island, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus for more than a year

Pros

Cool place to work and good people

Cons

Really nothing bad to say about the company. The only issue is that there was a lack of training.

Advice to Management

Be available

Benefitfocus2016-06-30

"Benefitfocus puts the "Cult" in culture"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

In all seriousness, Benefitfocus is no different than any other Nasdaq SMB. The executive team is under soo much pressure to hit market expectations, a lot of outsourcing and cost cutting has taken a once great rising star and poured a tanker full of water on it. Almost everyone is extremely nice and friendly, however almost everyone operates under a facade of positivity while 1 on 1 no one really enjoys what they are doing. All of the 5 star ratings are generated by the public relations group internal to BF.

Cons

Upper management continues to miss the mark and clearly does not have a pulse on what is actually going on. Post sales customer satisfaction continues to decline and the recent reorganization and offshoring has caused a tremendous amount of customer cancellations as well as employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Either begin listening to the front line troops or quit. Smiles and endless meetings to discuss what needs to be done are having a huge negative impact on the employees actually doing all of the work 24x7 while you discuss action plans, surveys and metrics. Please take your head away from the Salesforce reports and actually get into the weeds to understand the issues you ignore.

Benefitfocus2017-02-03

"would not recommend"

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

located in charleston, a beautiful city.

Cons

worked us day, night, over weekends. its hard to have a family and work there. they gave us more than we could do. had to work at night to keep up with escalations and workload. i heard of so many cancellations. customers and our kids suffered.

Advice to Management

take care of your people so they can enjoy what they do and help make the company great like you want it to be.

Benefitfocus2017-02-03

"Unrealistic expectations and poor leadership within the company."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with great people, growth of the products, free soda, water, coffee. Ability to work in different atmospheres if you get tired of being at your desk.

Cons

In the last year there have been too many re-org and management changes. Lack or very limited and unclear communication to employees. Process "improvements" have been going on for more than a year without any true improvement. The hours of time per week that management spends in meetings appear to be wasted time as they are not providing any positive results and are not held accountable. Our motto is 'customers at the heart', but with insufficient resources to handle the growth of the products, it has become impossible to provide true customer service at the highest level. Even when we push to provide the best for a client, we're scolded and told that it can be a detriment and against business decisions.

Advice to Management

Hire leadership, not "managers". Spend some time providing leadership training to those in leadership roles to encourage personal and professional growth. It will trickle down the ranks if you have the right people in place. I believe our highest leaders in the organization are the right people, unfortunately there's a huge breakdown after you go past the first two levels.

Benefitfocus2016-07-07

"Enough is Enough"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

The majority of the people here are incredible. Smart, kind, caring people. The benefits are decent but certainly not the best I've had. I hear it gets very expensive to add dependents, though. The newest building is spacious and bright, certainly not a bad place to show up to every day. It looks good on a resume and, if you're willing to fight for yourself, you can advance.

Cons

I've read through a lot of these reviews and I think that some good points have been missed. Regarding the salary - It is competitive to other local companies for full time jobs. Other companies at which full time is considered 40 hours and overtime is paid for additional hours. In the past Open Enrollment lasted 3-4 months and was a crazy but the rest of the year was pretty relaxed and made up for a terrible season. The last two years it seems it hasn't stopped. Many employees are working "OE hours (60+) well into spring when it should end in December/January. This is likely due to the fact that the number of clients are growing exponentially but the number of employees aren't. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Dozens of employees have been let go in the last few weeks for various reasons and there's just not enough time to replace and train those people before OE. Some say you can't be "forced" to work the crazy Open Enrollment hours - but you can't do your job satisfactorily in 40 hours and if you don't do your job well you'll be fired soooo... The company is hiring quite rapidly in India. I have nothing wrong with outsourcing, I'm no dummy and I understand the business need for less expensive labor. If a company is going to make this decision, however, they need to invest enough resources into properly training and supporting their employees half way across the world. Someone hired in the US isn't fully competent for 6+ months and that's with dozens of knowledgeable people surrounding them. I've been at BF two years and still ask questions constantly. The company cannot expect to hire 25 new people thousands of miles away, dedicate one person to them for 2-3 weeks and expect them to be able to function independently. It doesn't help that the company we use for outsourcing, Valuelabs, is terrible. The employees have no experience, no analytical or critical thinking skills, and do not take any initiative. Other companies I've worked with over seas, including in India, are light years ahead of the children Valuelabs hires. While BF did use this company before getting our new COO and President, Ray August, started with us we've quadrupled (at least) our employee base over there since he started. This is no surprise since he has a long standing relationship with Valuelabs and has done this with many US companies through his career.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure if the strategy for Project Positive is to fire anyone you can find a reason for and drive half the other employees out but if it's not, get your stuff together. No one has any trust in management. Morale is terrible. OE is looming over us and no one has any idea what their responsibilities will be or what the season will bring. If things don't start shaping up people will be walking out come October and anyone left won't have enough energy left to pick up the slack.

Benefitfocus2016-05-27

"Revolving Door"

Account Manager

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

You will work side by side with truly dedicated people that want to ensure a good client experience. During less busy times of the year, the work environment is pleasant. The CEO Shawn is a great person and means a lot to the company and city of Charleston. They have developed a better training course than when I started (likely for the reason I'll list in the cons).

Cons

I was hired to full-time during a previous May to what is now the Customer Service Organization. I would be willing to bet if you asked others in that department, 90% of them would tell you they were hired in May-August. The reason behind that is, more than likely, they have had mass lay-offs during the months of April-June. There was recently a department-wide reorganization that took place that brought on a new department director brought over from another company in the area. She implemented a new structure that people were genuinely excited about. Within a few months, she left the company (likely due to not having any creative control over her department). She was then replaced with a less experienced director, from an Account Management standpoint, who ran with the new idea and added some pieces of her own, which is understandable. With this, I'm assuming the director's first task was to skim the fat off of the top of the department (might have been because the first director was competent and didn't want good people to be forced out). After a few rounds of terminations/people leaving, that must not have been enough because they were digging for more, resulting in the termination of at least 8 years worth of experience the day I was let go. My direct managers had no idea, my colleagues had no idea. The reasoning behind us being let go was said to have been streaming while we were working (music, etc). Reasonably speaking, everyone in the department has done some form of this to get through the day, but unfortunately, a few of us were made examples of. Of course, if I had chosen to, I could have sat on the couches in the main part of our floor with my laptop all day and watch March Madness and the Masters like the Mercer team did during the Spring, or walk over to the Headquarters Building and play Xbox, but I chose the option that would allow me to work at my desk, to work through my lunches, to be able to provide optimum care to my clients, which they would be the first to tell you I did. Now, because of hiring a new director in charge of firing people, I don't have a job. The reason Benefitfocus exists is to not provide a platform for people to enroll in benefits anymore; it is to appease the stockholders. I'm not exactly sure how they plan to do that by having such a revolving door of talent, both people being let go or realizing they likely will be let go and have the gumption to leave before it happens. Fortunately for Benefitfocus, they let people go in duos or trios once a week, so there's no real reason to kick up a fuss with stockholders since they don't see it all at once, but having 30+ people leave in one way or another in a month's time should be noticeable. I know that's a lot to read, but if you're truly interested in working at Benefitfocus, go for it, but at the end of the day, it's 100% a popularity contest and there's no real cultural structure anymore. They're just like every other company now and don't let them lull you into a false sense of security with their "Celebrate" and "Together" pillars like they did to me.

Advice to Management

Not that they'll listen, but you have to take care of your employees or you'll lose the fight. Conversations I've been having with ex-colleagues haven't been good and almost all of them are looking for a way out since they honestly have no idea if they'll have a job tomorrow. Happy Employees = Happy Clients = Retention of Employees and Clients = Happy Stockholders, which is all that matters.

Benefitfocus2016-06-15

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

great product, good benefits, fair compensation, most of the organization is passionate and non political.

Cons

west coast senior sales leadership is not authentic, and carries a hidden agenda while doing a great job managing upwardly

Advice to Management

although i am newer, i have heard the stories from existing peers around the culture in the west. fear and a lack of trust run deep and no one will say anything. if you look backwards, you may find many quality sales professionals who have been run out of the organization, not quit. when is it time to consider that it may be the senior sales leader and not everyone else. the benefitfocus culture is NOT within our region and that saddens me as that is what i thought i was joining.

Benefitfocus2016-05-11

"Work elsewhere"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, however it is reminiscent of the titanic, it's a shrinking ship... Beware - recruiters are not realistic they will try to sell you.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. Common business principles are rarely practiced. The company is driven to make profit at the expense of their employees. Capacity continues to be an issue with the volume of work. Expect long hours, poor management, and re-organization within the corporate structure- per year.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Benefitfocus2016-05-04

"I don't even know anymore"

Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

Good people, offices, flexible schedule (when not going 100mph) Free Coffee.

Cons

Pay is extremely abysmal. Of course new associates think it's great, but the turn over of seasoned employees who actually know the software, know how to engage with clients, know how to actually manage accounts speaks for itself. Closed door policies and changes Seems like senior management is extremely disconnected from associates.

Advice to Management

Want employees who stick around and and hard for you? Pay them what they're worth.

Benefitfocus2016-03-05

"Don't be an account manager"

Account Manager

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

Good people Fun culture at times Good socialization opportunities

Cons

The hard workers are overlooked and seen by other departments as an annoyance. If you are simply trying to do right by the customer, other departments get all bent out of shape that you're asking too many questions or asking the wrong person and they get to just push back and hide behind their computers. Account management has to face angry clients and give them unfavorable answers because other departments won't do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Make sure all departments and everyone involved with a client is held accountable

Benefitfocus2016-01-15