Benefitfocus Customer Success Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Benefitfocus President and CEO Ray August
Ray August
  1. "Disconnected"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Open enrollment feels organized this year because of a program management team supporting all CSMs - Clients regularly tell us how great our platform is

Cons

- I currently work remotely and assigned to the West. I often feel like I get more support and direction from BF people outside my current market. I have very little positive interaction with my manager or director - I believe in our platform strategy, just not convinced we have the right leaders to get us to where we need to be

Advice to Management

- Tenure within the company does not equal good managers/directors. Find the good leaders and let them train junior associates

Benefitfocus2019-11-20

"Loved it, some work needed"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, the management team, innovative environment

Cons

Sticking to a plan. Need to pick a plan of attack with customer management, and stick to it.

Benefitfocus2019-08-02

"Poor leadership"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Very dog friendly.

Cons

Lack of structure. Little transparency from management.

Benefitfocus2019-04-19

"Poor leadership"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun culture, great people, nice facilities

Cons

Benefits are lacking for a company that is in the benefits industry. Leadership needs to be more transparent. No training for anything, learn on the fly

Benefitfocus2019-04-17
  5. "I enjoyed working there"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working there. The staff is generally pretty great.

Cons

Can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Benefitfocus2019-02-26

"Needs improvement"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Flexible Relaxed work environment Team involvement

Cons

Management is missing the details that are being shared. No one what to take action for what's going on. Lack of accountability from partners No internal urgency around client needs or issues No career growth in the CSM role

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees suggestions of how to solve issues and making your clients happy.

Benefitfocus2019-01-11

"Dysfunctional at Best!!"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Getting paid is good; but if you think free coffee and soft drinks are a Pro, you need to get out more.

Cons

My team is disintegrating. When a manager openly screams at teammates something is wrong. And then that same manager gets on a call with a client and screams at them about how they don't understand how things work. Teammates will go and find a quiet room to work so they don't have to physically be near the toxic manager.

Advice to Management

Invest in real training. The idea that you have to go seek out an expert to teach you something is a colossal waste of time. Don't promote based just on technical ability. Benefitfocus is full of managers, and woefully lacking LEADERSHIP. If you don't know the difference, you are part of the problem.

Benefitfocus2018-12-29

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is very transparent, great working atmosphere (Starbucks coffee, walking paths, bikes, Whole Foods weekly fruit and veggie deliveries, can bring dog to work and very nice Mother's Rooms), always challenged, focus on improving processes, security is a top priority and management is always open to associate feedback.

Cons

Working with offshore associates can inherently pose certain challenges. It can be difficult at times to identify the decision makers for new processes. Documentation needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a survey that strictly asks clients to rate their CSM, separate from any feedback on the software. A client can be frustrated with performance but still feel as if their CSM is providing them an optimal level of support. There is such transparency with the CSO on case resolution times, let's implore the same reporting and goal setting to engineering.

Benefitfocus2017-11-29

"Customer Success Manager"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with Benefitfocus for over 7 years in various roles, including management. I began my career in an entry level position answering phones and through hard work, I've worked my way into a position that I thoroughly enjoy. I've seen many restructures as the company has experienced rapid growth and each one has improved the work environment and work life balance for me personally as well as others. You will do well at Benefitfocus if you have a mature and realistic work ethic and don't fall into a crowd that is never pleased, complains, and is always negative. Years of experience and showing up to work on time don't make you a candidate for promotion, nor should it. I can also very honestly say (through several experiences) that being "friends" with your manager doesn't make you any more likely to get a promotion than anyone else who has worked hard for that role. It's a common misconception that becoming a manager means you've "made it". Not everyone is meant to be a leader and that's ok! Some are great at issue resolution, support, project and relationship management. There are finally clear career paths to help you determine which route is best for you and a good manager will help you identify and stay on that path. Benefitfocus leadership values non-management support just as much as their strongest managers. Without strong support, managers cannot manage their people so they really do value and recognize the non-management roles as being critical to our success. Leadership is also very invested in making sure they are being transparent. Weekly staff meetings include cascade items from leadership meetings. We also have weekly Q&A sessions with executive leadership where nothing is off limits. Our President takes an hour of his week to stand in a room and answer tough questions. Then, he spends time personally answering emails that come in after the sessions. That combined with the quarterly town hall sessions following our earnings calls is really more than enough transparency for me. For training, there are so many resources now that I cannot always keep up, but at least I know the answer and knowledge is available to me in several different forms.

Cons

This isn't a balanced review without some cons. I do feel sometimes that our managers are overworked. I've been lucky enough to have a manager who is always available, but I do know that they have a lot on their plates when combining administrative duties, people management, forecasting, financial management and escalations.

Benefitfocus2017-09-07

"Loving OE Success Week!"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OE Success Week is a full two weeks of sessions centered around helping our customers have a successful 2018 Open Enrollment. The theme this year is Innovation + Excellence = OE Success. Lots of good sessions. Lots of excitement. Lots of recognition for the good work associates are doing. I've been with Benefitfocus over 5 years and have to say there has never been a better time to be a CSM at Benefitfocus!

Cons

No cons to report at this time.

Benefitfocus2017-05-05