Benefitfocus Director Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Benefitfocus President and CEO Ray August
Ray August
0 Rating

"Learning something every day since my first day, amazing coworkers"

Current Employee - Director in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a high level is intelligence, humility, passion and unity at this Company. I joined BF about 7 months ago, and what is apparent is that our CEO and President genuinely care about the health of the business, and take great care of their employees. I've only worked one other place where I've enjoyed my coworkers as much as I do here- it's very rare. Everyone I've met is helpful, cares about continuous improvement for our customers, and for our own growth as an organization. I've been immensely impressed with Shawn's vision, ability to communicate it to the Company and allow us to share in his passion for what we do every day. I am also very impressed with Jim Restivo and his drive for excellent technological innovation.

Cons

We could work a little harder on executing clean processes as well as a bit more refined change management. Things that happen when a Company goes from private to public and gets to large- very natural but let's just work on it!

Advice to Management

It feels as if our leaders are spread just too thin sometimes and the running of their departments can fall in the back drop to the huge/ sometimes sweeping projects. Answer to that is to promote others into higher levels of management to help with the smooth running or large departments- allow executives to operate at that higher, strategic level.

Benefitfocus2017-06-08

"Everyone working there seems miserable"

Former Employee - Director in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time for more than a year

Pros

The compensation is ok. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Depressing atmosphere. No direction. The left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

Benefitfocus2019-08-07

"Paternity leave benefit"

Current Employee - Director in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just finished paternity leave following the birth of my son. What a great addition to the benefits package by Benefitfocus. You don't see many employers offering this benefit to new dads and it made a huge difference for my family as we adapt to the arrival of our newborn. Kudos to Benefitfocus for adding this to the package for all associates.

Cons

Keep looking for ways to enhance the benefits package and for ways to improve associate engagement through improved communications. Already off to a great start in 2017...lets keep up the momentum.

Benefitfocus2017-06-06

"Area Sales Director, Texas"

Current Employee - Area Sales Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Do what you love and you will never work another day in your life! Culture at Benefitfocus is not just words buried in a mission statement, it is truly the way we interact with each other and our clients. Anticipatory Service, Respect the Individual, Celebrate and we do it all Together! This is what makes us so unique and why I feel so fortunate to have landed at Benefitfocus after several other stops in my career.

Cons

High growth is exciting but does require adaptability and continuous change.....all good things in the end and part of being the industry leader.

Advice to Management

Keep committed to the culture and keep listening to your associates. It is what makes this place special.

Benefitfocus2017-05-02

"Everyday brings different challenges"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

From an engineering perspective, a wide variety of technologies are used, creating a a great variety of items to work on. The company seems to truly care about time off, work/life balance and outside interests. When things do go wrong (which they will), they work to recognize it and correct it.

Cons

The quick growth of the company, sometimes cause starts/stops on certain initiatives.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right thing at the right time.

"Sr. Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing culture, amazing people, amazing career opportunity. I've been here for 12 years and worked for other larger companies. BNFT has given me the most opportunity yet, stretched me, grown my career, and got me to a place to not have to worry about money and be able to comfortably take care of my family.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment not for everyone. But if you are a driven individual who embraces change and excitement, this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Keep working on alignment, keep focusing on associates and customers. Keep innovating!

Benefitfocus2017-05-01

"Continue to love working @ Benefitfocus"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I am so proud of our culture and our associates! I have been here 9 years and we continue to grow and improve every year. It amazes me that with all of our growth and we have maintained an amazing culture. You truly enjoy the people you work with. The sky is the limit for us!

Cons

Not really a negative - but fast paced.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent focusing on associate engagement

"Culture means associates"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

"Together" is a core company value and rings true at Benefitfocus. When you hear about Benefitfocus, you'll hear about the culture. Everyone has a thought on what the culture truly means but to me, it has always been the people. I can honestly say that after years of working for the company, the people around me were great when I started and they still are today. No matter what challenge you're facing, knowing that you have folks that you can call on for help makes all the difference. Benefitfocus is also an environment where you can learn new things each day and a great group of associates around you that are willing to help. From a career perspective, if you want to grow, advance your skills and truly foster your career, Benefitfocus is the place to do it.

Cons

None to report at this time

Advice to Management

To senior leadership, thank you for listening to your customers and associates to invest in the right areas. I can truly say that year over year we are investing in the right areas and appreciate the focus to continue improve each day. To senior leadership, thank you for listening to your customers and associates to invest in the right areas. I can truly say that year over year we are investing in the right areas and appreciate the focus to continue full speed ahead.

Benefitfocus2017-05-01

"Benefitfocus is a supportive engaging place to work"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Motivated, hard working, inspiring peers that push you to be better each day, always challenged which results in professional growth

Cons

Demanding work results in long hours, on the job training to learn Benefitfocus knowledge, slow backfill process for internal promotions (positive upward movement)

Benefitfocus2017-04-23
  10. "We are focused on changes that will advance our teams and our customers to the next level!!!!"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collaborative environment, leadership support, continued focus on right decisions at right time for best outcomes. Focused on Improving every day and taking bold steps to get there!

Cons

Fast growth and shifts sometimes creates for challenges to achieving needed out outcomes. Leadership is focused on addressing communication gaps, managing our priorities and engaging our associates to help lead and drive our most critical initiatives!!

Advice to Management

Keep aligning our teams and driving communications, keep driving our focus to hone in on priorities and the needed changes that will strengthen us as an organization and solidify our position as an industry leader who is focused on our customers and becoming world class!!!!

Benefitfocus2017-04-25