KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Benefitfocus

Engaged Employer

Benefitfocus

Add a Review

Benefitfocus Employee Reviews about "benefitfocus"

Updated Nov 15, 2021

Technical Account Manager

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people and they allow you to try out different departments to see what you like best(in 104 reviews)
  • "renewed focus from leaders with deep industry experience; creating a great culture; focusing on product development with a keen focus on service(in 91 reviews)
  • "Good benefits for self and families(in 46 reviews)
  • "Remote work from home.(in 30 reviews)
  • "If you enjoy having great coworkers by your side and can block out the corporate rah(in 25 reviews)
Cons
  • "They are not considerate and in some areas they have poor management.(in 48 reviews)
  • "No training makes it tough to feel confidence in your abilities(in 35 reviews)
  • "Some managers don't even have a degree or a certificate in IT field and have become managers just through favorism.(in 35 reviews)
  • "No work life balance(in 28 reviews)
  • "Churn in senior leadership (annually)(in 28 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Benefitfocus and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "benefitfocus"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Great work culture

Apr 10, 2015 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been in the IT scene for more than a decade and have worked for multiple financial services companies. One stark contrast between other companies and BenefitFocus is the way BenefitFocus values its employees. BenefitFocus focuses a lot on corporate culture and keeps the workforce engaged with multiple events. Every employee is aware of the organizational structure, the vision for the company as a whole and for their specific group as well. I’ve never been in a company where every person is driven and passionate about their job and their handiwork. I usually work with engineers and I notice a lot of thought going into what they do, a lot of passion and pride. There is a conscious desire to be cutting edge in technology and a great awareness of the latest trends in the industry as well. Definitely a great place to work at!

Cons

I have not come across any cons at this point. I am just typing to go over the 20 word minimum. :)

2. 4.0

Great place to work

Dec 9, 2015 - Benefits Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Beautiful and modern offices; great coworkers; lots of catering and onsite food support; flexible schedule; wonderful managers; and many more.

Cons

Working as a contractor for a year with the constant worry of being told I wasn't needed anymore was incredibly stressful and tiresome. Once that hurdle was cleared, it was as if a ton of bricks was taken off my shoulders. Unfortunately, not everyone was so lucky. The hiring and firing of contractors is one of Benefitfocus' greatest problems in my opinion. They haven't quite mastered the process yet.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great community and set up for success

Apr 13, 2021 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are the best thing about Benefitfocus. The environment is collaborative and the leadership changes over the last year have set Benefitfocus up for potential growth acceleration.

Cons

There have been many changes in leadership and strategic focus over the years. Despite the leadership changes the organization is not yet poised for significant growth. It is my hope and expectation that Benefitfocus will focus on regaining the trust of its associates and external stakeholders and become an amazing place to work again.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Culture! Love coming to work!

Oct 15, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefitfocus is an outstanding company with great management and a lot of room for growth! I have learned so much since I have joined and I love coming to work.

Cons

Can be long hours, but you are definitely rewarded for your hard work!

5. 5.0

Exciting place to work!

Jan 16, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefitfocus is a great place to work. Coming from a world of Government Contractors, I have found my long term home here at Benefitfocus. Life is fast paced, and you really feel like you are making a difference in the company. The company's growth does introduce some growing pains at times, but never to the point where my quality of life feels threatened. The growth of the company does offer numerous opportunities for those who excel to grow in responsibilities and influence in the company. The future of Benefitfocus, as it grows to fill the market and improve our products, will prove to be very exciting times. This company has BIG expectations and I feel that those who are along for the ride will be rewarded greatly.

Cons

The fast paced and growing environment here does lend to working extra hours at times. For me this isn't really a big deal because I feel well rewarded for the extra time and effort I put into this company. Unfortunately, some people, especially here in the south, can't adapt to this and can get burnt out quickly. The Benefitfocus culture is unique and you have to be a good fit in it to truly succeed.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Great place to work!

Feb 9, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been an employee at Benefitfocus for over 6 years. I have had the opportunity to develop and find a lifetime career here. If you are driven and dedicated then the options are endless at Benefitfocus! I am challenged and not lying when I say I learn something new each day. The management team always has your back and transparent with information. Hard work is rewarded. Some days when I am stressed, one of the many perks of surprise snacks, release day celebrations, free boot camp and yoga, and craft beer Friday's turn things around. The CEO is involved and motivating hear speak. We hire top performers and I am proud to say I work at Benefitfocus.

Cons

Occasional weekend support and more then 40 hours are not required but necessary to succeed. My average work week is around 60 hours but it is because Benefitfocus is growing (a positive). I enjoy my work, although challenging, so I do not mind putting in the time.

7. 5.0

Opportunity to Grow in Your Career

Oct 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Starting with the hiring process to onboarding and through my first 1.5 years with the company, I've been very impressed and thankful to work for a company that shows concern for its associates. Investment is made in training when you join Benefitfocus and then ongoing training whether that's on-site or attending relevant conferences. And in terms of career progression, it's the first company I've worked for that has a detailed career map showing you exactly what progressing through different roles would look like. I also really appreciate the opportunities to hear from senior leadership through culture sessions with the CEO and Q&A sessions with leaders across the company. They go to great lengths to give all associates the ability to get their questions answered and work towards an open, transparent atmosphere. The physical work environment is great with modern work spaces and perks like weekly fruit/vegetable trays, food trucks, and more. There's a lot of flexibility for good work/life balance as well.

Cons

Not an environment everyone is well-suited for. If you don't like fast-paced and being pushed to think outside the box, it's not the place for you. No company is perfect, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Benefitfocus Response

Human Resources

We are glad you are benefiting from various training opportunities, myMap, and the Q&A sessions. We will continue to keep our customers at the heart and look forward to having you on the journey. Please share any specific product or customer suggestions in our company forums. Thank you for your honest feedback.

8. 4.0

Overall great company!

Apr 1, 2015 - Software Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great products, great people, tremendous opportunities.

Cons

Due to the fact that our software revolves around Open Enrollment and that typically falls between October and December, the workload and hours can be stressful. Benefitfocus makes the workload more bearable by providing lunches and allowing flexible schedules to help associates with their work/life balance.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great company, great people, some issues.

Jan 28, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy working at Benefitfocus. Some days are admittedly harder than others, but where is that not the case? The work we do is challenging to say the least and I think we do a great job of being a visionary in a constantly evolving industry. The people you get to work with at Benefitfocus are undoubtedly some of the smartest in town. You'll certainly be challenged to think critically and your input will (most of the time) always matter. Also, managers. I think I have one of the best in the company to be quite honest. My manager is always on the lookout for my best interest and I think that is what makes Benefitfocus special. I can't speak for others, but my experience with management has been a great experience and I'm sure yours will be too. Regarding 'work load', yes it's a lot, but that's life. Maybe my position is not as bad as others, but for me, I do not think it is unbearable. If you learn to PLAN, prioritize and delegate where possible, I think you'll be alright. Other things I like about the company: - Buildings/workspace - Flexibility to work from home - Camaraderie - Beer Friday...

Cons

The biggest Con for me is career development. To be completely transparent, I have not felt like my career development has been a priority of the leadership in my department. We advertise it, yes, but I challenge how much of a priority it REALLY is. It seems like some are quickly promoted while for others, it could take an Act of Congress to get promoted. To me, I feel like the intentions are mostly good, but if we sell ourselves to candidates as a place where career development is a priority, we need to deliver on that. My second Con is that it gets difficult to work with others internally sometimes. Stress is high and I get that. However, I feel like the blame game gets played a lot and that's really not what Benefitfocus is about at its core. If something goes wrong with a feature in production or something to that effect, work together to solution for a problem instead of trying to win a battle because you'll always lose the war. Pointing fingers and singling out people in front of an audience is not the best way to solve for a problem.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great place to work!

May 1, 2017 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Benefitfocus for a few months and this is the best culture of any company I have ever worked for. I previously worked for large industry leaders and felt as though I had no input or voice in the company. Were I to take the initiative and speak to one of the executives at a Presidents Club, I could potentially be fired- whereas here at Benefitfocus we are encouraged to ask anyone for help, at any time. Everyone from C level down wants to do the best possible job for our clients and are invested in each and every sales process, as well as in ongoing client satisfaction.

Cons

Its hard to partake in some of the awesome culture while working remote, but the company certainly does its best to include everyone with online videos, webinars, etc.