Benefitfocus "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Benefitfocus Reviews

Updated Jan 17, 2020

3.3
Benefitfocus President and CEO Ray August
Ray August

"Work elsewhere"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, however it is reminiscent of the titanic, it's a shrinking ship... Beware - recruiters are not realistic they will try to sell you.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. Common business principles are rarely practiced. The company is driven to make profit at the expense of their employees. Capacity continues to be an issue with the volume of work. Expect long hours, poor management, and re-organization within the corporate structure- per year.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Benefitfocus2016-05-04

"Manager"

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

Benefitfocus has a great culture, the office buildings are nice, fun activities for the employees and their families.

Cons

You work long hours at night and on the weekend during Open Enrollment. You don't get paid overtime and rarely get a bonus.

Benefitfocus2015-12-16

"Please avoid working here is you can"

Implementation Consultant in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus for more than a year

Pros

free soda and potential to work from home when needed

Cons

Where to start. Everyone that has asked about working for Benefitfocus, I always say "all the bad things you here are true." Sadly this company is terrible to work for. Mangers are completely inept or nonexistent. They are never available to help you, so you are left to your own devices. There is a complete lack of training as well. Essentially, you are set up to fail from the start. If anyone is thinking of working for this company, please make sure you are ready to spent long hours and time away from family in order to be over worked because they never staff enough. I had to spend time away from family on Thanksgiving for this reason. Also, so many people leave this company because it is so bad, which results in more pressure and over working the employees even more so. I can say that within the last 3 months, we have lost 10 people in our dept. That pretty much sums up how bad this company is. Please avoid working for this company if you can, it has only been getting worse. Don’t believe the “Best Places to Work” tag. It’s best to find a company that values and stands behind their employees.

Advice to Management

Please take a good look at your managers, they are the main reason there is a rotating door at this company. Most should not be managers, nor do they have the skills needed.

Benefitfocus2015-12-23

"some good, some bad"

Sales Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus for more than 3 years

Pros

Growing company, nice campus with walking paths, good benefits

Cons

Too much focus on culture and being one big happy family, long hours, obvious manager favoritism

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations and goals

Benefitfocus2015-06-14

"Good company, bad pay"

Account Manager in Daniel Island, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

Culture, community, perks, location, facilities

Cons

Pay scale, long hours, promotions hard to come by, its all about who you know

Advice to Management

Promote your hard workers to the manager level. No one should be able to be a manager in a dept without experience or knowledge of that dept

Benefitfocus2015-05-22
  6. "Great place to work!"

Implementation Consultant in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

The people are amazing. Always a challenge and never bored

Cons

Long hours and managers are stretched too thin

Advice to Management

N/a

Benefitfocus2015-03-07
  7. "Not like everywhere else, and that's a great thing."

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will be hard-pressed to find a more friendly and welcoming work environment. They set you up for success by taking care of a lot of the little things like making food easily accessible on campus, free Starbucks coffee and a lot of local perks. Collaboration is a strong pro: your colleagues are very willing to help and share knowledge about their area of expertise. Working in Charleston, SC is also a huge plus: one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Another pro is that you will have the opportunity to be creative with the work you produce, which is hard to find.

Cons

You will have no shortage of work to do, but this can also be a pro. I perform some of my best work when I am busy, but be prepared for some long hours.

Benefitfocus2015-03-04
  8. "Challenging, long hours and a place to grow"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, smart associates, plenty of opportunity

Cons

Long hours, stretched resources, typical growing pains for a tech company experiencing hyper growth

Advice to Management

Focus on quality of life for associates so they can focus on clients. Accept that we are growing fast and that time must be invested in constant process improvement (we are starting to see results of this initiative!).

Benefitfocus2015-02-13
  9. "A great place to work with great culture and plenty of opportunities to make an impact."

Current Employee - Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefitfocus is a fast paced hardworking environment where I am challenged daily. I feel like my input is valued, I can make a difference and I have a defined career path that will lead to my success and the success of the organization. The company's culture stresses on togetherness, family and celebration and we all work hard to achieve the same goals.

Cons

Working to support major employers and insurance carriers can lead to long hours and spur of the moment travel, but it always feels like it's worth it in the end.

Benefitfocus2015-01-21
  10. "Dynamic company in a dynamic market"

Product in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

The culture is great where everyone works hard and works together. Super fast growth creates great opportunities to move into new roles. Great personal growth options, always promoting industry books and guides to get better. CEO is inspirational and in this industry for all the right reasons.

Cons

With growth also comes some operational chaos. Everything changing so quickly we work long hours to keep up

Advice to Management

Perk and flexibility in the workplace are good. Keep thinking of options to keep employees happy. Truly recognize the impact of work/life balance.

Benefitfocus2015-01-17