Benefitfocus "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 17, 2020

3.2
Benefitfocus President and CEO Ray August
Ray August

"A decent place to get experience and then get out"

Implementation Manager in Daniel Island, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

The location is nice, the people (mostly) are hard working, and you can gain some decent experience to make yourself attractive to other employers who will treat you with respect.

Cons

The benefits are crap, the expectations and hours are ridiculous, the upper management tends to be incompetent, and most people are miserable and seem to dread showing up every day. You will be expected to put in long hours for no extra compensation and will rarely receive praise for a job well done, but you will be reprimanded/blamed when things go wrong (which they inevitably do). The open office environment is very distracting and not conducive to being productive.

Advice to Management

Like someone else said - read the exit interviews. I think they are mostly just thrown away, but if management paid attention to what employees are saying they might make the necessary changes to make this a tolerable place to work. Quit treating your "associates" like sweatshop workers. There are intelligent and talented employees that continually leave due to the very poor treatment. This could be a great company and a great place to work if the right changes are made.

Benefitfocus2010-04-12

"Great Corporate Culture and Valued Employees Quickly Being Lost as Company Grows"

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

Great people to work with Unusual perks - Starbucks, skateboards, massages, fresh organic fruit Good for entry level positions and Temp jobs Occasional "fun" activities to socialize with co-workers

Cons

Each year as the company gets bigger, the importance of the individual lessens and goals fade No clear management standards or feedback system - promotes and retains unqualified managers Long hours, no work-life balance Human Resources Dept completely unhelpful and will not intervene when needed Less and less "Fun" activities and events, and more often expected to work Holidays and unpaid overtime (typically 50 - 60 hours a week without any pay over 40 - the hours are logged, just not paid) CEO speaks about his values, goals and how the company caters to each individual, but makes empty promises and false hopes Employees tend to be promoted based on years with the company rather than how well they qualify

Advice to Management

We need a feedback system to rate managers and leadership! The people at the bottom have absolutely no voice. A way to critique management and the company as a whole would be extremely valuable to everyone in the company and would help identify the managers that are not carrying out the company goals.

Benefitfocus2011-12-14

"People have a hard time believing me when I describe the things that happened."

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

The drama was always pretty entertaining and helped me to become more sociable. I also liked a lot of the people who were there when I was there. I think that you can do well there and enjoy it if you have a huge unchangeable sense of your own self worth. The upper management will sense that attitude and respect it.

Cons

The main issue is that the only thing the management respects or likes is working long hours and lots of confidence. Missing either of those traits will make you not a good fit for the company.

Advice to Management

I like the current outsourcing path that the company is on. It really helped me in my career and I think it will help the other people who currently work at benefitfocus. So, don't hold back.

Benefitfocus2011-12-16

"Has potential, but needs lots of work"

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

- free food several days a week - Good people for the most part - it's nice to work with people you can learn from. - on top of new technologies in certain areas of the company

Cons

- long hours and almost no personal life - low pay in comparison to other software engineering jobs in the area - In most product areas, there is such a high demand for bug fixes and "emergency" patches that it has become a "burn and churn" type of environment. - If you are not part of the top clique of friends, you might as well settle into mediocrity and get some experience, then move on.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics of what makes a company a place people want to work. It's nice to have a job in this economy, that's true, but it seems like you guys take advantage of the bad economy to run people down. Let up on the hours. Give people their lives back, and they'll be more willing to go the extra mile when they really need to. Your company may be your whole life, but it's only a means to an end for the people you employ. Before you push new products, make sure the ones you have are solid - or throw them out. Customers don't want to fight all the time for something you sold them to work. I personally had a terrible experience at Benefitfocus. However, I do see that it has potential to be something great. Take a few steps back, slow down, and regroup on the basics.

Benefitfocus2011-11-02
  5. "Review"

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

Benefitfocus has many talented engineers and provides good opportunity for learning and growth. Benefitfocus is in a good market position and is poised for growth.

Cons

Sometimes long hours are required not because the work isn't getting down but because the expectations and scope is not managed properly.

Advice to Management

People are the most important resource of any company no matter what the company does. If you value your employees everything else falls into place.

Benefitfocus2010-12-06

"Get in, get some basic experience, and get out."

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

There are some great people to work with at Benefitfocus. You can get some great entry level experience if you're willing to work some pretty insane hours.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, little to no opportunity for advancement or challenging work unless you're in the right circle of friends. Be prepared give up your weekends while being aware that you should be thankful that you have a job.

Advice to Management

Read your exit interviews. Take notice when you're losing employees, and ask questions about why. Take a look at the average salaries in this area and learn to follow suit.

Benefitfocus2010-04-20
  7. "Fast growing software company"

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

The number one reason that keeps me at Benefitfocus is the people. I work with a bunch of very smart and enjoyable teammates. We work very hard but we also relax and have a good time while we do it.

Cons

We are a fast growing company. As such there is a lot of pressure to deliver product and services to our clients. This can mean long hours and crazy deadlines. Of course, I'd rather be growing and have work to do than unemployed!

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on our clients while rewarding associates for their efforts. Give associates an opportunity to profit from the growth of the company.

Benefitfocus2009-10-29

"If it didn't have such great potential, it wouldn't be so disappointing"

I worked at Benefitfocus

Pros

This place still has enough good people and enough potential to make a major image turnaround. It started off a great environment to work in, so the mechanics of a great company are in there somewhere.

Cons

The employees pay the penalty of the fast growth being experienced. There are no perks or rewards, only expectations for working excessively long hours and weekends. Engineers are chastised for working less than 50 hours per week. Long hours weren't a problem in the beginning, when people felt a sense of pride and ownership in their work. Now everyone is being task mastered, which makes the "90 hours a week and loving it" mentality vanish quickly.

Advice to Management

Return to your roots. This once great institution was built on the brilliance of individuals being given the time and the power to come up with great ideas. Using people like cattle is not the way to progress towards the future.

Benefitfocus2009-08-03